PDA

View Full Version : The 'Average American' Is Dying Off

bobbyw24
10-16-2009, 04:24 AM
The 'Average American' Is Dying Off

The 2010 Census is expected to find that 309 million people live in the United States. But one person will be missing: the average American.

"The concept of an 'average American' is gone, probably forever," demographics expert Peter Francese writes in 2010 America, a new Ad Age white paper. "The average American has been replaced by a complex, multidimensional society that defies simplistic labeling."

The message to marketers is clear: No single demographic, or even handful of demographics, neatly defines the nation. There is no such thing as "the American consumer."

The census is the biggest market-research project of the decade. The Census Bureau will spend upward of $15 billion to count the population as of April 1, 2010, and amass a treasure-trove of data on U.S. consumers.

"The decennial census will tell us quite precisely how American consumers have changed in the past decade," Mr. Francese writes. "It also will give us clues about where the consumer marketplace is moving. The census is the gold standard against which the results of all major consumer-research studies are benchmarked."

The Census Bureau will begin releasing data in spring 2011. Mr. Francese, demographic trends analyst at WPP's Ogilvy & Mather, New York, and founder of American Demographics magazine, now offers projections and insight on what the census will show.

His 32-page report, available at AdAge.com/2010America, will give marketers a window on what the census will show and how to adapt those findings in a marketing world reliant on broadscale demographics that no longer exist.

Selected findings of 2010 America:

U.S. households are growing ever more complex and varied.

"This census will show that no household type neatly describes even one-third of households," Mr. Francese writes. "The iconic American family -- married couple with children -- will account for a mere 22% of households."

The most prevalent type of U.S. household? Married couple with no kids, followed closely by single-person households, according to Mr. Francese's projections.

The Census will give Americans 14 choices to define household relationships. Mr. Francese says this will "enable the Census Bureau to count not only traditional families but also the number and growth since 2000 of blended families, single-parent families and multigenerational families, as well as multiple families doubling up in one household."

That presents boundless opportunities for marketers and media in how they target and segment households.

Minorities are the new majority. "One fact says it all," Mr. Francese writes. "In the two largest states (California and Texas), as well as New Mexico and Hawaii, the nation's traditional majority group -- white non-Hispanics -- is in the minority." And in the nation's 10 largest cities, he says, "no racial or ethnic category describes a majority of the population."

Mr. Francese notes how diversity varies greatly by age, "with the younger population substantially more diverse than the old."

Consider these 2010 projections: 80% of people age 65-plus will be white non-Hispanics. But just 54% of children under age 18 will be white non-Hispanics. Mr. Francese observes: "White non-Hispanics will surely account for fewer than half of births by 2015."

In 2010, Hispanics will be both the nation's fastest-growing and largest minority (50 million people).

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-average-american-is-a-dying-breed-2009-10

RM918
10-16-2009, 06:55 AM
"The average American has been replaced by a complex, multidimensional society that defies simplistic labeling."

It's really ironic how the extreme efforts of attaining this so-called individualistic 'dream' has resulted in people being judged and weighed by their race.

MsDoodahs
10-16-2009, 06:57 AM
The most prevalent type of U.S. household? Married couple with no kids, followed closely by single-person households, according to Mr. Francese's projections.

^^ is why illegal immigration will never be stopped.

James Madison
10-16-2009, 03:16 PM
This isn't just happening in America. The same things are happening throughout Europe.

sofia
10-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Given that the nuclear family unit is the basic building block of a healthy civilization.....I'd say we are pretty much toast.

torchbearer
10-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Given that the nuclear family unit is the basic building block of a healthy civilization.....I'd say we are pretty much toast.

Some functionalist sociologist would argue that the extended family model works better than the nuclear family model.

sofia
10-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Some functionalist sociologist would argue that the extended family model works better than the nuclear family model.

either model is preferable to the epidemic of lonely people, broken homes, and childless cohabitators that we see today.

Today's kids will never have what I had and that's sad. My family was crazy at times, but we loved and cared for each other. Lots of aunts, uncles, cousins lived a few blocks away....you knew your neighbors, and the church served as a glue for the whole community.

Those days are gone...and with it will go the foundation of our nation. The communists know this...which is why they have waged war against religion and families for so long.....Take away our foundations, and sooner or later a broken people will end up crawling to our new God/Mommy/Daddy....THE STATE

Liberty Star
10-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Minorities are the new majority. "One fact says it all," Mr. Francese writes. "In the two largest states (California and Texas), as well as New Mexico and Hawaii, the nation's traditional majority group -- white non-Hispanics -- is in the minority." And in the nation's 10 largest cities, he says, "no racial or ethnic category describes a majority of the population."

I had read while back that Bush opened the doors for more immigrants with borders open and fast track incentives to recruit more troops for freedom operations in Iraq. During early period of Iraq war Bush used to waive Mexican flag, later he quietly tried to reverse open border lure policy but it was too late. It's not all Bush but he played a significant role in changing color of America for political needs.

youngbuck
10-17-2009, 01:36 PM
those days are gone...and with it will go the foundation of our nation. The communists know this...which is why they have waged war against religion and families for so long.....take away our foundations, and sooner or later a broken people will end up crawling to our new god/mommy/daddy....the state

exactly!

Flash
10-17-2009, 02:02 PM
This isn't just happening in America. The same things are happening throughout Europe.

Depends upon which part. France is experiencing a native/white baby boom & it's immigrants are largely North African whites.

MelissaWV
10-17-2009, 04:51 PM
either model is preferable to the epidemic of lonely people, broken homes, and childless cohabitators that we see today.

Today's kids will never have what I had and that's sad. My family was crazy at times, but we loved and cared for each other. Lots of aunts, uncles, cousins lived a few blocks away....you knew your neighbors, and the church served as a glue for the whole community.

Those days are gone...and with it will go the foundation of our nation. The communists know this...which is why they have waged war against religion and families for so long.....Take away our foundations, and sooner or later a broken people will end up crawling to our new God/Mommy/Daddy....THE STATE

I guess I'm part of the epidemic, being that I'm childless and will likely go into cohabitating again. I'm certainly not lonely or unhappy, but my existing seems to be bad somehow :rolleyes: I don't want to live by my family, either. I know my neighbors, and I do work with the local church but don't attend. The people that run it always shake their heads at that, but don't mind the help. When I'm asked (and I'm asked almost every event I assist at) why it is I don't show up on Sunday but show up to help, I respond that I prefer to do good works rather than let the priest talk about them on my behalf. Sunday is about lessons being flung out and most people not taking them to heart. It's also, I pointed out, about obnoxious families and crying children and the make-believe theatrics of "Sunday best". In other words, it's hollow.

I'd rather build a house.

Gosh but I'm sure the mommy and daddy and their Swine Flu infested young ones I saw running wild at the grocery store are much better for the world than I!

/rant off.

apropos
10-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Gosh but I'm sure the mommy and daddy and their Swine Flu infested young ones I saw running wild at the grocery store are much better for the world than I!

This is an interesting statement...but if you think you provide a better example for the world, why surrender your influence on its future after you're gone? Not trying to be snarky...but I think we need more parents who raise their children in the tradition of liberty, now more than ever.

sofia
10-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I guess I'm part of the epidemic, being that I'm childless and will likely go into cohabitating again. I'm certainly not lonely or unhappy, but my existing seems to be bad somehow :rolleyes: I don't want to live by my family, either. I know my neighbors, and I do work with the local church but don't attend. The people that run it always shake their heads at that, but don't mind the help. When I'm asked (and I'm asked almost every event I assist at) why it is I don't show up on Sunday but show up to help, I respond that I prefer to do good works rather than let the priest talk about them on my behalf. Sunday is about lessons being flung out and most people not taking them to heart. It's also, I pointed out, about obnoxious families and crying children and the make-believe theatrics of "Sunday best". In other words, it's hollow.

/rant off.

Please don't take my critique of society as a personal rip against you. I'm also alone and relatively happy.

My point is that, in general, committed mariages and intact families, communities etc. are the foundation of a healthy society (notwithstanding the dysfunctional families)

The present cold alienation that millions live in today is fertile ground for the evil works of the "community organizers" and statist politicians.

SelfTaught
10-17-2009, 05:09 PM

/rant off.

I know the quote you're responding to has to do with religion and family, but I'll just focus on family.

You're free to do what you want, but when children are part of the equation, it's different. Do you honestly believe that society woundn't be better off with an intact father-mother-kids family? Most of the women I've worked with are single mothers and much of what they do disgust me. Multiple children with different dads, taking different boyfriends home at night to sleep with, dating men not much older than their children, constantly going to nightclubs and bars at night to find "another man", shuffling their kids back and forth between the mom and dad/dads. It's absolutely repulsive. I know you're ranting, but I feel that an intact family is probably the most important foundation for a sound and sane society. My opinion.

MelissaWV
10-17-2009, 05:10 PM
This is an interesting statement...but if you think you provide a better example for the world, why surrender your influence on its future after you're gone? Not trying to be snarky...but I think we need more parents who raise their children in the tradition of liberty, now more than ever.

I will adopt when things are more settled, as a lot of things are in transition (isn't that what one's 20's [even the late ones] are for? :D). I even have a very likely father for the kiddos, and intend on adopting non-infants, which will give them a chance to finish growing up even if they're tossed into the fray when they're "not cute enough" for most others to adopt them.

My point with the statement, though, was that having kids and all that doesn't necessarily make a couple/woman special. It makes them fertile. I wasn't deeply personally offended by sophia's post, but let's just say that descrimination on the basis of "single and childless" is out there, and it's probably way more widespread than racism ;) And that behavior is based on the same notion that single people are either irresponsible partiers or can pick up the slack for others so they can take care of their precious lil ones.

Getting back to the OP, I'm glad the notion of the "average American" is dying off. Now can we get rid of affirmative action and hate crimes and whatever, since this means the playing field is more even?

Colony14
10-17-2009, 05:58 PM
BINGO! James Madison!
And here's WHY:
http://farmwars.info/?p=1450
http://sovereignty.net/p/sd/sd-transform.html
LiveLeak.com - EARTH CHARTER SUMMIT: Big Media Won't Touch Agenda 21's blueprint for the NWO (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=eac_1224006443&c=1)

Go to Google, or any other Search Engine and type this in: 'U.N.Agenda 21 & Globalization'
YouTube - Global Plantation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd3XyTHke-c&feature=related)
Want to SEE what YOUR area, where YOU live is lookin' like with the overtaking by the AGENDA 21-Sustainable Development:
(ps. YOU cannot live in those Protected Areas, nor' can you live in those Buffer Zones, and evertime there's a restoration or something related to that, they Take another piece of the LAND pie!, Their GOAL is to take almost ALL of the LAND, you will only see any LAND outside your squished little Sustainable Resettlement Community from what is called, 'View Sheds'.
Just TRY and ask any Politician about AGENDA 21, except for Ron Paul NONE will discuss it.
http://gapanalysis.nbii.gov/portal/community/GAP_Analysis_Program/Communities/GAP_Projects/Protected_Areas_Database_of_the_United_States

There's these people called, 'Trained facilitators', they go thru a course by one of these companies that trains them to go out into communities to do 'Consensus Building', Model to Lead selected community participats in the Development of: Community Vision.
the vision to 'Set Goals' is AGENDA 21 that becomes the 'Comprehensive Community Plan'.
'AMERICAN PLANNING ASSOCIATION' is the Largest training program.
"Growing Smart Legislation Guidebook: Model Statutes for Planning and the Management of CHANGE".
Land Use Plans: use of "financial incentives and disincentives" from the federal government.
http://www.sdlearn.net/courses.htm
http://www.un.org/esa/dsd/agenda21/res_agenda21_00.shtml

MsDoodahs
10-17-2009, 06:08 PM

I agree.

For the record, we're childless by choice.

Colony14
10-17-2009, 06:21 PM
YouTube - UN - Henry Lamb: U.N. Agenda 21 & Globalization (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9VeqKUkfqA)

youngbuck
10-17-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm also alone and relatively happy.
Same here.

let's just say that descrimination on the basis of "single and childless" is out there, and it's probably way more widespread than racism
Totally agree. I sense that people in general look down on you if you're single and childless, like you got some kind of problem or something. Not that I want to perpetually remain that way, it's just that I don't see it as that big of a deal.

libertygrl
10-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Wow. A few years back I read Death of the West by Pat Buchannan. He was spot on! In my earlier years when I was "asleep," I couldn't stand the guy because I thought he was a racist (probably heard it from some Liberal station!)

But after 9-11 I began opening my mind more. Death of the West is EXCELLENT. It goes into detail about the Communist agenda and how they infiltrated all of our social, cultural, educational and religious institutions. I specifically remember the chapter about statistics pointing out the birth rates of different populations and how ours was going down among European Americans while in Latin populations it was going up.

Also, illegal immigration in the US & other Western countries was a deliberate attempt to turn us into Third World countries where we could be easily controlled. Just the ultra rich and the poor would exist. No more middle class.

James Madison
10-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Same here.

Totally agree. I sense that people in general look down on you if you're single and childless, like you got some kind of problem or something. Not that I want to perpetually remain that way, it's just that I don't see it as that big of a deal.

It's probably more dependant on how old you are. Young? Not that big of a deal. Middle Aged? People look at you weird.

youngbuck
10-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Also, illegal immigration in the US & other Western countries was a deliberate attempt to turn us into Third World countries where we could be easily controlled. Just the ultra rich and the poor would exist. No more middle class.

That's exactly what I think the big picture is. And it's why, regardless of how much the people demand something be done about illegal immigration, nothing gets, or will be, done.

youngbuck
10-17-2009, 08:11 PM
It's probably more dependant on how old you are. Young? Not that big of a deal. Middle Aged? People look at you weird.

Heh, I'm only 23 and I sense it a bit. Though you're certainly right that it'd be a whole different ball game I was middle aged.

James Madison
10-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Heh, I'm only 23 and I sense it a bit. Though you're certainly right that it'd be a whole different ball game I was middle aged.

No worries. You're several years older than me and even I get asked often why I'm not in a relationship with somebody. Such is life.