PDA

View Full Version : Okay, We Contributed 1.2 Mill. How Should It Be Spent?

pennycat
10-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Congrats are in order to everyone that shelled out their hard earned bucks.

Now comes the decision making time. How do you spend it?

I know that the prevailing wisdom is that you wait until just before the voting is to begin and then splurge on a media campaign.

But I think this is a flawed strategy. Here's why.

1). The ONLY reason that the campaign has been successful has been the grassroots. This success has, in my opinion been the reason that money has come in. No one makes an investment in a campaign unless they see some possibility to win.

2). If our grassroots campaign shows any signs of faltering, I'm certain that the money will dry up. First the small donors, those 'little guys' that do the grunt work of the campaign will stop giving. Then the deep pockets (those that attend the $1000 minimum receptions for RP) will realize that 'hey what happened to all your supporters?"

3.) The growth of the grassroots has NOT come from advertising blitz's. This at first would argue against 'wasting' money on those meetup groups. I think that is only true in the beginning.

Sure it's easy to latch onto momentum in the first month or two of a 'hot' candidate. As we are in the latter days of this cracks begin to appear. People loose their initial surge of adrenaline. That's precisely when you need to add some fertilizer to the fields.

My suggestion for #3 is too immediately hire some motivational/organizational people to work on a one-to-one basis with Meetup Organizers.

4). Media blitz's will not truly educate the masses. We have all seen the difficulty that RP has in debates trying to compress the liberty message into 2 minute answers. How can he possibly do better with a 30 second spot?

The grassroots model is a MUCH more effective tool for this. Sure members get off-topic when talking about RP. But the effectiveness of one on one interaction is much more effective than ANY tv or radio spot. Those broad based media are much more suited to bland, heard it all before candidates.

Name one policy of Dr. Paul's that you can describe in 30 seconds (and have the newbie understand).

5.) Please don't think that I'm saying 'no money should be spent on media advertising.' What I am saying is that Meetups are not getting the support that they need to grow and fulfill their possibility.

6.) Another startling statistic to me is that most RP supporters have only known of him for 3 months. At least this is the answer I get from most new members joining the Orlando Ron Paul Meetup (249 members strong and growing). They join after doing a lot of YouTube and internet reading.

Why not have the campaign REALLY support this by making DVD's cheaply available to the Meetup groups? Why not start educating people on WHY Dr. Paul espouses what he does?

7.)Money does play a roll. I'm asking/pleading with the campaign not to hoard the money for a media blitz. I have viewed with dismay that slim jims are now a pay as you go item. Why, when the campaign had very little money they were free. Now that we have millions in the bank, they are an expense to volunteers.

Rather than hoarding money for commercials, why not start contacting any RP Meetup of any size and asking them, "What do you guys need to get the RP message out?"

In closing, we have the opportunity to REALLY have the grassroots campaign that will draw the masses. The National Ron Paul 2008 HQ should be working shoulder-to-shoulder with us. Together we will have a revolution that EVERYONE has a part in.

Cindy
10-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Some more staff at HQ

Getting Paul to the early primary states to hold rallies.

TV comercials.

micahnelson
10-01-2007, 10:46 AM
If you have time to craft it, a 30 second ad can be devastating to the opposition.

Simple statements like...

Your dollar is losing its value. You see it at the pump, at the grocery store, and in the housing market. Only one candidate understands the problem- Congressman Ron Paul. He entered politics in 1976 because he believed we need stable money to be a free and prosperous country. As President, Ron Paul will fight to keep the American dollar strong, and protect your earnings from the vultures in government.

Meetups are to take care of the nontraditional new media, internet and guerrilla marketing. The National Campaign will take traditional media. Its the one two punch.

Ron Paul Fan
10-01-2007, 10:48 AM
It doesn't matter because it's not our decision on how to spend it. The campaign will spend it how they see fit and I trust their judgement. Our job was to give them the money and their job is to spend it wisely. If I was working for the campaign then I would be looking at strategies, but since I'm not I won't waste anyone's time because it's irrelevant. I'll support the campaign through and through, but I will not tell them how to do their jobs.

MsDoodahs
10-01-2007, 10:49 AM
How should it be spent?

However HQ thinks it should be spent.

:)

Elwar
10-01-2007, 10:50 AM
I think he needs to focus on buying all ad time the week before the elections.

Fill all the time slots so that the other candidates can't purchase them when they go to do it a few weeks ahead of time.

FrankRep
10-01-2007, 10:51 AM
On Beer

Ninja Homer
10-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Why not have the campaign REALLY support this by making DVD's cheaply available to the Meetup groups? Why not start educating people on WHY Dr. Paul espouses what he does?

IMHO, we need a DVD now, top priority. A 30 or 60 second commercial, no matter how well it is done, could never do Ron Paul's message justice. Grassroots could probably spread his message with a good DVD to more people faster and cheaper than TV commercials ever could.

American
10-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Commercials in New Hampshire!!!!!!

DrNoZone
10-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I think they could, for very little money relatively speaking, make a VERY professional outreach DVD. We need one of these soooooo bad. This is how I would spend some of those funds; the return on investment could be huge.

hard@work
10-01-2007, 11:21 AM
I would say that spending a little bit on helping the cat herders get out the right information. Information is the game right now. Name recognition is the primary enemy, then comes the battle for correct information in the minds of Americans.

Cindy
10-01-2007, 11:26 AM
On Beer

When I lived in the Virgin Islands, Candidates were elected by how much free cognac and coke was served at their rallies.

You may be on to something there. lol

foofighter20x
10-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Commercials in New Hampshire!!!!!!

Especially this next week as the GOP primary deadline for registering is 12 Oct. :eek:

erowe1
10-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Congrats are in order to everyone that shelled out their hard earned bucks.

Now comes the decision making time. How do you spend it?

Decision making time for the campaign, not for us. We did our part and donated. Now it's time for us to keep our hands off the campaign's decision making and keep donating more money and doing what we can as boots on the ground in our hometowns to help them.

Hypothetically, if I were involved in the official campaign (which I'm not), and if it were any of my business what they do with my donations (which it isn't), I would want it to go to radio ads in certain key states in January, along the lines of what Pat Buchanan wrote in that column where he offered his suggestions of what he would say if he were asked to advise the Paul campaign.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-01-2007, 11:51 AM
we need to pound NH like Ron Paul is running for state governor

Korey Kaczynski
10-01-2007, 11:53 AM
The McCain route: hookers, booze, cocaine, and wild sex parties.

Drunken sailor, indeed... :D

American
10-01-2007, 01:41 PM
We should also hire Zig Ziglar to help RP sell his ideas to the masses. Zig is the man for this sort of stuff.

http://www.zigziglar.com/

A talented author and speaker, Zig Ziglar has an appeal that transcends barriers of age, culture and occupation. Since 1970, he has traveled over five million miles across the world delivering powerful life improvement messages, cultivating the energy of change.
He has shared the platform with such distinguished Americans as Presidents Ford, Reagan and Bush, General Norman Schwarzkopf, Secretary of State Colin Powell, Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, Paul Harvey, Dr. Robert Schuller, plus numerous U.S. congressmen and governors. A well-known authority on complete and balanced success, Zig Ziglar has been recognized three times in the Congressional Record of the United States - for his work with youth in the drug war, and for his dedication to America and the free enterprise system.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-01-2007, 01:43 PM
and why isn't the free state project behind Ron Paul?

stevedasbach
10-01-2007, 01:46 PM
The campaign should NOT spend money on the meetup groups. The power of the grassroots is that people can chip in immediately for local projects that they consider worthwhile. There is no way that the folks in Arlington can tell which projects are worthwhile, and which are crap.

The one thing they can do to support the grassroots is what they are already doing -- providing literature like slimjims for local meetups to distribute.

paulitics
10-01-2007, 01:48 PM
We need to advertise now, to have any chance. One thing certain is when Ron Paul speak it translates to money, wether in a debate or in person. Money spent on advertising is a fundraiser, a point often overlooked, esp when the message is a breath of fresh air, and Ron is the only one speaking it. We need new blood in this campaign ASAP, so that growth will double every month, not every quarter.

stevedasbach
10-01-2007, 01:52 PM
The campaign should begin advertising this quarter, both in the early states and nationally. The early state advertising will help boost poll numbers, get the media outlets where the advertising is running to take the campaign seriously and provide more coverage, and attract new supporters. The national advertising will boost national poll numbers, and attract new supporters, which ultimately means more donors and volunteers. National advertising costs less per thousand reached, and will not be competing with as much advertising from other candidates. Targeted ads in New Hampshire, Iowa, etc. can be run more concentrated, and move the polls in those states more. Plus, Ron needs to win or at least place in those states.

While those are my thoughts, I have full confidence in the campaign team to make these calls. However they decide to spend the money, they will have my support. The campaign team has more information to work from than any of us do, and Ron has a track record of winning elections.

constituent
10-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Now what I wanna know is why we the Grassroots have abandoned (or shyed away from) generating publicity ourselves...

that has much greater impact than anything HQ can do. why?

we the people. no one wants to be a part of some political machine,
but a social movement... they can't wait to get on the bandwagon.