PDA

View Full Version : The Late Jackie Robinson, A Nelson Rockefeller supporter?

AuH20
10-15-2009, 01:24 PM
yikes!!! Jackie got fooled by a bloodthirsty globalist!!!

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/10/14/124657/95

Jackie Robinson:

I was not as sold on the Republican party [as I was on Governor Rockefeller]... . Every chance I got, while I was campaigning, I said plainly what I thought of the right-wing Republicans and the harm they were doing. I felt the GOP was a minority party in term of numbers of registered voters and could not win unless they updated their social philosophy and sponsored candidates and principles to attract the young, the black, and the independent voter. I said this often from public, and frequently Republican, platforms. By and large Republicans had ignored blacks and sometimes handpicked a few servile leaders in the black community to be their token "*******". How would I sound trying to go all out to sell Republicans to black people? They're not buying. They know better.

I admit freely that I think, live, and breathe black first and foremost. That is one of the reasons I was so committed to the governor and so opposed to Senator Barry Goldwater. Early in 1964 I wrote a Speaking Out piece for The Saturday Evening Post. A Barry Goldwater victory would insure that the GOP would be completely the white man's party. What happened at San Francisco when Senator Goldwater became the Republican standard-bearer confirmed my prediction.
That convention was one of the most unforgettable and frightening experiences of my life.
A new breed of Republicans had taken over the GOP. As I watched this steamroller operation in San Francisco, I had a better understanding of how it must have felt to be a Jew in Hitler’s Germany.

The same high-handed methods had been there.

The same belief in the superiority of one religious or racial group over another was here. Liberals who fought so hard and so vainly were afraid not only of what would happen to the GOP but of what would happen to America. The Goldwaterites were afraid – afraid not to hew strictly to the line they had been spoon-fed, afraid to listen to logic and reason if it was not in their script.
It was a terrible hour for the relatively few black delegates who were present. Distinguished in their communities, identified with the cause of Republicanism, an extremely unpopular cause among blacks, they had been served notice that the party they had fought for considered them just another bunch of “*******”. They had no real standing in the convention, no clout. They were unimportant and ignored.

One bigot from one of the Deep South states actually threw acid on a black delegate’s suit jacket and burned it. Another one, from the Alabama delegation where I was standing at the time of the Rockefeller speech, turned on me menacingly while I was shouting “C’mon Rocky” as the governor stood his ground. He started up in his seat as if to come after me. His wife grabbed his arm and pulled him back. “Turn him loose, lady, turn him loose,” I shouted.

I was ready for him. I wanted him badly, but luckily for him he obeyed his wife.

I had been very active on that convention floor. I was one of those trying to help bring about a united front among the black delegates in the hope of thwarting the Goldwater drive. George Parker had courageously challenged Goldwater in vain and Edward Brooke had lent his uncompromising sincerity to the convention. I sat in with them after the nomination as they agonized about what they should do. Some were for walking out of the convention and even out of the party. Others felt that, as gloomy as things looked, the wisest idea was to remain within the party and fight.

Throughout the convention, I had been interviewed several times on network television. When I was asked my opinion of Barry Goldwater, I gave it. I said I thought he was a bigot. I added that he was not as important as the forces behind him. I was genuinely concerned, for instance, about Republican National Committee Chairman William Miller, slated to become the Vice Presidential candidate. Bill Miller could have become the Agnew of his day if he had been elected. He was a man who apparently believed you never said a decent thing in political campaigning if you could think of a way to be nasty, insinuating, and abrasive.

What with the columns I had written about Goldwater, The Saturday Evening Post article, and the television and radio interview, I had achieved a great deal of publicity about the way I felt about Goldwater.

jmdrake
10-16-2009, 06:23 PM
I doubt Jackie Robinson was aware of Rockerfellers globalist aspirations. It seems he was reacting more against Goldwater than for "Rocky". And while the article you're quoting doesn't say this, it's probably over Goldwater voting against the 1964 civil rights bill.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/may98/goldwater30.htm

Goldwater personally wasn't racist and I don't think he voted against that bill over race or for political advantage (it cost him a lot of black votes) but it lifted his stature among those who we were motivated by race and/or politics and that frightened a lot of would be black supporters. This was another chapter in the transformation of the republican party of reconstruction to the republican party "champion of states rights". States rights were once used to by some to justify slavery and later to justify segregation. I have an appreciation of states rights now because I'm as concerned about the feds as I used to be about the klan. (Partly due to my understanding of 9/11. Partly due to seeing how badly the feds mishandled Katrina.) For me that's the key to breaking through to minority communities. Stress the (little "r") republican ideal of standing up against the tyranny of the majority and point out that such tyranny can come from the federal level as well as the state level. Personally I don't talk about "states rights". I talk about "state sovereignty" and do it in the context of states protecting our individual rights that the feds are trampling on. That's not a hard sell in the black community when you factor in things like the Tuskegee experiment. In fact talking about government conspiracies isn't controversial at all.

Regards,

John M. Drake

teamrican1
10-16-2009, 07:24 PM
I doubt Jackie Robinson was aware of Rockerfellers globalist aspirations. It seems he was reacting more against Goldwater than for "Rocky". And while the article you're quoting doesn't say this, it's probably over Goldwater voting against the 1964 civil rights bill.

Robinson was a HUGE fan of Rocky. It wasn't just about Goldwater, and even if it were, that's frankly just as bad. Either Robinson supported one of the most evil men in the history of Republican Party or he violently opposed one of the best. Either one by itself would be bad but the truth is he did both.

jmdrake
10-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Robinson was a HUGE fan of Rocky. It wasn't just about Goldwater, and even if it were, that's frankly just as bad. Either Robinson supported one of the most evil men in the history of Republican Party or he violently opposed one of the best. Either one by itself would be bad but the truth is he did both.

Ummm...you're missing the point. From the article AuH20 posted Jesse Owens was looking at policy more than personality. From the "Let's stop the global conspiracy" Rockefeller's policies are bad. But you have to be tuned into global conspiracy theory (something many on this forum would rather avoid) to know that. From the "who's going to protect black people in the south from the tyranny of the majority", Goldwater being linked up with the states rights crowd doesn't look so good. It really all depends upon who you see as the bigger threat, the klansman down the street or the shadowy international banker who secretly goes to Bilderberg or Bohemian Grove meetings. Maybe Jackie knew about the world conspiracy stuff but there's a good chance that he didn't. Unfortunately what you don't know can hurt you. If you want to help people who are willing to switch parties come to your side it's better to educate than to deride them for not having the knowledge you have. That's all I'm saying.

Regards,

John M. Drake