PDA

View Full Version : Our Valley Forge (and a proposal...)

ronpaulhawaii
10-15-2009, 12:23 PM
http://nickr3volution.blogspot.com/2009/10/valley-forge.html

Valley Forge

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated."- Thomas Paine, The American Crisis

On September, 17th I was in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, at the Campaign for Liberty Regional Conference. The event was held minutes away from where Washington's Revolutionary Army spent that fateful winter. When the army first set up camp at Valley Forge there were over 11,000 men and after 6 days there were only 2,873 men left due to lack of proper food, shelter, and clothing. The troops either died or gave up and deserted.

I think it is fitting that I was in Valley Forge and at that event. This past summer I was in my own Valley Forge. I came to a point where I was completely burned out and disillusioned. Progress was not fast enough, and I ran out of the resources to continue. I even thought about giving up.

I ended up going to Valley Forge primarily to see the premiere of "For Liberty". I had the chance to see old friends, even a few from The Great American Walk for Freedom. I saw people like my friend Michael Maresco who's resolve for freedom led him to riding a bicycle from coast to coast, not once, but twice. He didn't give up while peddling alone through the desert when it was much easier to jump on a plane and go home. In fact, he gave up his home and his life in paradise to come back to the mainland and fight for freedom.

I looked into the eyes of all my fellow patriots, first in Valley Forge, then in New York City, in Pittsburgh during the G20, in Lancaster, and then at Midwest Liberty Fest, all of the places I have been this past month. The list of people I have seen this past month has been impressive: Ron Paul, Judge Napalitano, Adam Kokesh, Tom Woods, G Edward Griffin, Luke Rudkowski, Jason Bermas, Michael Badnarik, Sheriff Mack, Gary Franchi and many more. So many leaders in this movement. I felt the resolve to keep going until freedom is achieved at last.

It was the people in this movement that brought me back. Not only those big names, but every single patriot that I encountered this past month. It is truly an honor and a priviledge go to battle with each and every one of you. We do not go to battle with guns and bullets (those are only for self defense), we go to battle with our minds and our hearts.

As I looked around the room at Midwest Liberty Fest I realized that I wasn't the only one expiriencing a Valley Forge situation. Our movement is in Valley Forge right now. Lack of resources, lack of people. I mean Midwest Liberty Fest was such an awesome event, with a great lineup of speakers and bands. The organizers couldn't have done anything else to promote it more effectively. It was the same with Freedom Conference 2009 in Pittsburgh. We had a rockstar lineup with Tom Woods and G Edward Griffin, we had a lot of attention with G20 coming to town and with those issues on everyones mind, but a poor turnout.

So how do we as a movement get out of Valley Forge? It's not like we can just wait and see what happens. Every day more and more events are happening in this world that is speeding up the loss of our freedoms. It's really accelerating now. We have to take this oportunity to reach out to the community like never before. We must win those hearts and minds before it's too late.

One thing that Washington did while he was in Valley Forge was took the opportunity to get all the troops that he did have on the same page and got them better trained. He brought in Baron Von Steuben who worked with the men.

Now we have enough training sessions and seminars in this movement, and one thing that I think is really unique is that I believe we are all leaders capable of pulling together and doing the most amazing things. Just look at what we did during the Ron Paul campaign, or watch "For Liberty" to learn about it. Not that I don't appriciate a good speech, but I think the time has come to listen to each other speak, to have a real grassroots discussion.

I propose a Liberty Movers & Shakers conference to be held in the Spring of 2010. No speakers, just all discussion between the most active people in the grassroots. Let's discuss what we have done already, what we plan to do, and how to move forward. My suggestion for a city is Chicago, simply because the r3volution hasn't invaded that city yet and it is a big city that is pretty centrally located. It can be anywhere though, that is just a suggestion. Let's just do it!!

We can move forward from here. Things are about to change, I can feel it. We have an awesome movement, with so many great people, and most importantly the right message! Who's in?
POSTED BY NICK RAMAGLIA AT 1:10 PM

angelatc
10-15-2009, 12:32 PM
http://nickr3volution.blogspot.com/2009/10/valley-forge.html

I don't have to walk, do I?

ronpaulhawaii
10-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't have to walk, do I?

Hmmmm... be careful giving me ideas :D

angelatc
10-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Hmmmm... be careful giving me ideas :D

I will drive the truck and/or give money.

Besides - ask my husband. I'm walk so slow it's one of the few things about me that irritates him.

Nobody wants me to walk.

ARealConservative
10-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I hope people that organize these rallies don't get too discouraged by turnout. Sadly, most Americans only start paying close attention to issues during a presidential election.

I'm kind of in my own Valley Forge place right now as well.....I just don't deal well with the Campaign for Liberty folks and am no longer working with them directly.

I have also found myself alienated in the local Republican Party because I'm apparently the only person going to meetings that thinks Palin is a kook....and this includes fellow Ron Paul people.

uhhhggg!

ronpaulhawaii
10-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I hope people that organize these rallies don't get too discouraged by turnout. Sadly, most Americans only start paying close attention to issues during a presidential election.

I'm kind of in my own Valley Forge place right now as well.....I just don't deal well with the Campaign for Liberty folks and am no longer working with them directly.

I have also found myself alienated in the local Republican Party because I'm apparently the only person going to meetings that thinks Palin is a kook....and this includes fellow Ron Paul people.

uhhhggg!

This doesn't sound so much a rally, as a meeting. Plenty of lead time so perhaps it can work out. I do think there is value in face to face networking. A decent topic for discussion, at least...

About your VF:

Stand by the fire, my friend. My boots are tall and coat is thick. It is an honor to collect wood for our fellows.

CfL is frustrating. I find they have good tools and are fine for "sleeping giant" referrals.

Palin sold-out. Perhaps she can be re-claimed, perhaps not. But following RPs leadership; we should address issues, not personalities...

Stand fast, stay warm, and build strength for the battles ahead.

Oyate
10-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I only input one thought: I'm done flying to places and checking into fancy hotels and paying to attend fancy conferences on being a R3VOlUTIONARY. Frankly I'm tired of packing and trying to find a pair of chinos without holes in them. The only thing I like about that scene is the hotel soap because I just finished up my last bar from R3VOlUTION March. Which is either a lot of soap or a lack of bathing for me, but hey....

I'm a campground R3VOlUTIONARY. I prefer skinny dipping to swimming pools and I like bonfires for the evening entertainment. I like large, stout communal breakfasts and children running around screaming their heads off between us.

MsDoodahs
10-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Oh wow, Oyate.

That was beautiful.

:)

LittleLightShining
10-16-2009, 12:05 PM
One thing that Washington did while he was in Valley Forge was took the opportunity to get all the troops that he did have on the same page and got them better trained. He brought in Baron Von Steuben who worked with the men.
This is the 2nd Von Steuben reference I've heard this week in relation to the C4L and honestly, it's rubbing me the wrong way. I get who he was and what he did but there is someone being lifted up as the Von Steuben of C4L and I'm not sure he's so much a r3VOLutionary but rather a rank and file partisan hack with an agenda that may or may not benefit us in the long run.

Icymudpuppy
10-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Washington's regular troops hung out at Valley Forge. The irregulars and minutemen went home and dispersed to their families.

They are there, and waiting for when they are of most use. Make sure you know who they are and where to find them. Go door to door and find them now so you can rally them when the time is right.