PDA

View Full Version : Kokeheads

ronpaulhawaii
10-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Kokesh could use some calm, intelligent, comments to this article. An-Caps and Constitutionalists. Please unite, and help... Discussing talking points here first may help... Thanks

http://www.sfreporter.com/stories/kokeheads/5093/

KOKEHEADS
REPUBLICAN DARK HORSE WINNING OVER SOME NM VOTERS

By: Dave Maass 10/14/2009

Adam Kokesh doesn’t believe 9.11 was an inside job, doesn’t question President Barack Obama’s citizenship and argues that insurance companies have already instituted death panels. He’s for pulling all combat troops from Afghanistan and opposes government control of whom a citizen—gay or straight—can marry.

In other words, some of Kokesh’s positions are downright liberal. Nonetheless, the Republican candidate for New Mexico’s 3rd Congressional District seat—currently held by Democratic US Rep. Ben Ray Luján—is picking up support from Truthers, Birthers, Deathers and Tea Partiers, whose affiliations run the gamut from disenchanted Democrats to white supremacists.

In October, Kokesh announced he had raised $100,000 since announcing his candidacy in May.

“That was really shocking,” Kokesh tells SFR. “I thought we were going to be able to raise just enough money to execute our plan, but now I’m really hopeful.”

According to the Federal Elections Commission, Luján has $160,000 on hand, but $127,000 in campaign debt.

More than 1,500 supporters contributed an average of $68 to Kokesh; 70 percent donated online.

“When I started this, I had a national political presence, both through the anti-war movement…and for becoming symbolic of the military support for [2008 presidential candidate Republican US Rep.] Ron Paul,” Kokesh, a veteran who fought in Fallujah, says. “But the campaign is doing more on-the-ground fundraising, getting out more locally and having more volunteer events here.”

This month, Kokesh will attend fundraisers in Clovis and Farmington, and will conduct an open-forum “Twownhall” on Oct. 19 using Twitter.

Some of Kokesh’s online supporters, however, are alarming. For example, the white nationalist website stormfront.org is exploding with enthusiasm for his campaign.

“I’m really hoping he’s one of us gentiles,” one Stormfront user writes on the site. “Whatever the case may be, this Adam Kokesh demonstrates some real passion and impressive speaking skills.”

Kokesh, who is Jewish, distances himself from, but doesn’t denounce, such support.

“I’m a little disturbed by that,” Kokesh says. “But there are lots of people that I have strong disagreements with on individual issues that still get the core of this message.”

In some cases, Kokesh has been able to change hearts and minds—including those of James Walker, a Farmington Republican hosting an Oct. 15 “Tea with Adam” fundraiser.

“At one point, I was a Kool-Aid drinker and I believed…that we should be over there [in the Middle East] kicking everybody’s ass,” Walker, who met Kokesh six months ago, says. “I thought he aligns more with my personal view than probably some of the rhetoric that four or five years ago I probably said, ‘Oh yeah, that’s right.’”

Kokesh also is recruiting Democrats. One former Obama field organizer in San Juan County, David Chavez, recently signed on to Kokesh’s campaign. He cites Saturday Night Live’s recent spoof of Obama’s lack of accomplishments as something that “really resonated.”

“It’s really not about party affiliation,” Chavez says. “[Kokesh is] not really your McCain-type Republican. He is in the Libertarian branch, which I’ve come to find a lot of value in. In fact, they’re very Democratic values.”

Conventional wisdom says Kokesh doesn’t have a chance against Luján, a well-connected progressive, Hispanic Democrat who won the 2008 election with 57 percent of the vote in a three-way race. The only time a Republican won the 3rd District was in 1997, when Bill Redmond defeated Eric Serna, a Democrat embroiled in political scandal, in a three-way race with Green Party candidate Carol Miller.

“Kokesh has been an impressive fundraiser,” Brian Sanderoff, political analyst and president of the polling firm Research & Polling Inc., says. “But the bottom line is Ben Luján, so far as I can tell, has been working hard and maintaining his popularity and has not been a controversial figure. Add on top of everything the power of the incumbency, and the Republican has an uphill political battle.”

Kokesh deliberated for months about whether to run as an Independent or a Republican.

“You cannot win this district with McCain or Giuliani or any middle-of-the-road, mainstream Conservative,” Kokesh says. “So, [Republicans] are definitely open to someone who’s offering something new and different…Right now, if the Republican Party is going to be the party of big tents and smaller government, then it’s a coalition I’m happy to be a part of.”

Flash
10-14-2009, 03:28 PM
[Kokesh, who is Jewish, distances himself from, but doesn’t denounce, such support.

I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate. Why does Kokesh talk about Christian principles of war if he's Jewish? Why does he look like hes mixed with non-white races? Just curious.

amy31416
10-14-2009, 03:29 PM
"Kokeheads" That's pretty awesome.

ClayTrainor
10-14-2009, 04:00 PM
haha, first twown hall, now this :D

hueylong
10-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Kokeheads is a pretty unfortunate moniker.

ronpaulhawaii
10-14-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate. Why does Kokesh talk about Christian principles of war if he's Jewish? Why does he look like hes mixed with non-white races? Just curious.

Adam is of Jewish heritage with some Cherokee and god knows what else... He speaks of the Christian Just War theory because it is a moral precept that all people can relate to. While Augustine and Aquinas are often mentioned in the development of the theory, it can be traced back to Cicero...

Kokeheads is a pretty unfortunate moniker.

I agree,

The whole opening seems unfortunate in trying to stave off Republican challengers, as well...

It has good points and bad points and I hope those with some time can find a way to highlight the goods and downplay the bads, with respect and intelligence. This is how most anyone can truly help...

Flash
10-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Adam is of Jewish heritage with some Cherokee and god knows what else... He speaks of the Christian Just War theory because it is a moral precept that all people can relate to. While Augustine and Aquinas are often mentioned in the development of the theory, it can be traced back to

Yeah he looks like a Native American.

angelatc
10-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Adam is of Jewish heritage ...

Is his mother Jewish? It's my understanding that the lines passes through the mother.

I don't care what he calls himself, but if he isn't really Jewish it's dangerous and wrong to claim that he is.

PS - next time the SF paper takes his picture, have him unbutton his shirt a little. :) Might as well court the gay male vote.

ronpaulhawaii
10-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Is his mother Jewish? It's my understanding that the lines passes through the mother.

I don't care what he calls himself, but if he isn't really Jewish it's dangerous and wrong to claim that he is.

PS - next time the SF paper takes his picture, have him unbutton his shirt a little. :) Might as well court the gay male vote.

Gawd, what a senstive question to have to ask...:o Yes, from his mother...

and, lulz

this comment was posted

Intersesting article. From what I have read of Kokesh it would seem he has taken the constitutional (and Supreme Court backed) view on free speech. Hopefully his common sense approach to things will have an effect on some of his fans and get them to think more clearly on their positions. Of course comments on the internet must be taken with a grain of salt and tempered with research before coming to conclusions. I still have yet to see any of the signs of the typical pandering politician from him and feel THAT is what DC needs more than anything. I feel New Mexicans will be well served by having a man of principle representing their interests in DC.

Deborah K
10-14-2009, 07:18 PM
"Kokeheads" That's pretty awesome.

ohhhh....I disagree. It will marginalize him. He needs to shed that moniker asap. Adam don't let them label your supporters in a derogatory way. Backhanded compliments are still backhanded.

dr. hfn
10-14-2009, 08:30 PM

wtf!

ronpaulhawaii
10-14-2009, 08:37 PM
wtf!

I didn't see anything wtf'ish about Angela's comment. I have no idea about what constitutes heritage to many cultures and appreciated the knowledge. Ya learn something new everyday...

torchbearer
10-14-2009, 08:38 PM
We became Kokeheads because we are addicted to the constitution.
Take any negative, and use it as your positive.

You should have learned this lesson on the kindergarten playground.

Someone gives you a negative nickname, champion it- make it something you are proud of.. and it kills the effect.

It is the same phenom that happened in the black community with the use of the word ******.
among their culture some use it as a term of brotherly connection.

If believing Adam would make a great statesmen and guardian of the constitution makes me a Kokehead...so be it. I'm a Kokehead, and I'm damn proud of it.

specsaregood
10-14-2009, 09:06 PM
I didn't see anything wtf'ish about Angela's comment. I have no idea about what constitutes heritage to many cultures and appreciated the knowledge.
I do. What constitutes "heritage" is up to each us and our families. If Adam feels a connection to his jewish heritage enough to say he is of jewish heritage, then so be it.

ronpaulhawaii
10-14-2009, 09:36 PM
I do. What constitutes "heritage" is up to each us and our families. If Adam feels a connection to his jewish heritage enough to say he is of jewish heritage, then so be it.

The question is asked, (more often than I'd imagined such questions would be) and answered. Often, when people ask me such questions I just say, "human", but then I ain't running for congress... :D

Deborah K
10-14-2009, 11:02 PM
We became Kokeheads because we are addicted to the constitution.
Take any negative, and use it as your positive.

You should have learned this lesson on the kindergarten playground.

Someone gives you a negative nickname, champion it- make it something you are proud of.. and it kills the effect.

It is the same phenom that happened in the black community with the use of the word ******.
among their culture some use it as a term of brotherly connection.

If believing Adam would make a great statesmen and guardian of the constitution makes me a Kokehead...so be it. I'm a Kokehead, and I'm damn proud of it.

I am no kokehead. This is ridiculous and it won't win anyone over.

BenIsForRon
10-15-2009, 01:15 AM
>Another vote to squash the Kokehead name before it spreads<

evilfunnystuff
10-15-2009, 01:18 AM
>Another vote to squash the Kokehead name before it spreads<

hope ya have more luck than the paultards did lol