PDA

View Full Version : Wash Kids Mouth Out with Bar of Soap? Go to Jail

Cowlesy
10-14-2009, 08:50 AM
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Mom-Arrested-for-Washing-Kids-Mouth-With-Soap--64112132.html

Anyone remember the movie A Christmas Story, and remember what happened when Ralphie went "Ohhh Fuuuuuuudge" when he dropped the lugnuts while his Pops was changing a tire?

RevolutionSD
10-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Jail is a bad idea but washing kids mouths with soap is child abuse and a horrible idea.

jkr
10-14-2009, 08:53 AM
didnt bother me much.

olehounddog
10-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Best I can remember all 3 of my daughters got a taste at some point during their childhood. I thought that was SOP for cussin.:D

I got hickory stripes for cussin and I survived.

pcosmar
10-14-2009, 08:56 AM
I survived it fine, and learned to watch my mouth in certain company.

angelatc
10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Jail is a bad idea but washing kids mouths with soap is child abuse and a horrible idea.

Creeping liberalism.

My older boy had a taste.

Cowlesy
10-14-2009, 09:04 AM
I bet that kid will watch her language now.

angelatc
10-14-2009, 09:05 AM
I bet that kid will watch her language now.

In my case it worked better than a stern talking to.

thasre
10-14-2009, 09:30 AM
I have to say that this seems to be a very specific instance in which the parents forced a girl to keep the soap in her mouth until she vomited and then was taken to the hospital. I don't think looking into abuse charges is all that unreasonable for something like that. It's not your run-of-the-mill mouth-washing incident.

I realize that there is a larger trend in the government right now to take away reasonable disciplinary options from parents, but I don't think this case is quite part of that larger trend. Making a little girl go through the whole ordeal of a hospital visit because of a literally vomit-inducing punishment just because she said a bad word seems like unambiguously bad parenting to me...

phill4paul
10-14-2009, 09:32 AM
I have to say that this seems to be a very specific instance in which the parents forced a girl to keep the soap in her mouth until she vomited and then was taken to the hospital. I don't think looking into abuse charges is all that unreasonable for something like that. It's not your run-of-the-mill mouth-washing incident.

I realize that there is a larger trend in the government right now to take away reasonable disciplinary options from parents, but I don't think this case is quite part of that larger trend. Making a little girl go through the whole ordeal of a hospital visit because of a literally vomit-inducing punishment just because she said a bad word seems like unambiguously bad parenting to me...

I have to say I'm in agreement. I received this punishment myself as a youngster and did not require medical care.

ScoutsHonor
10-14-2009, 09:34 AM
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Mom-Arrested-for-Washing-Kids-Mouth-With-Soap--64112132.html

Anyone remember the movie A Christmas Story, and remember what happened when Ralphie went "Ohhh Fuuuuuuudge" when he dropped the lugnuts while his Pops was changing a tire?

Nooo... what happened Cowlesy??

angelatc
10-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Nooo... what happened Cowlesy??

YouTube - From The Christmas Story: "It Was Soap Poisoning" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNX9WOIDJV8)

Todd
10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
YouTube - From The Christmas Story: "It Was Soap Poisoning" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNX9WOIDJV8)

Yep....That's a classic. :D

ScoutsHonor
10-14-2009, 09:38 AM
watching it now..

ScoutsHonor
10-14-2009, 09:50 AM
:):):)

Ahhh-Wonderful! ROFL.

Dr.3D
10-14-2009, 10:00 AM
When that happened to me, I was told the chew on the soap.
It takes a long time to get all of that soap out from between your teeth.

Paulitical Correctness
10-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes, I had to chew bar soap. None of that liquid crap for pansies.

armstrong
10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
the hickory stick and the soap , I did not require medical treatment either lol

pcosmar
10-14-2009, 11:22 AM
the hickory stick and the soap , I did not require medical treatment either lol

I remember Willow Switches. but I don't think I ever got more than one swat.
It was the time taken to get the switch and strip the fuzzies off and bring it in, that gave time to think about what we had done. That was terror. :eek:
It was a very rare occurrence.

BlackTerrel
10-14-2009, 12:45 PM
My parents weren't immigrants but they used the discipline Russel Peters talks about:

YouTube - Russell Peters - Immigrant Child Beatings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX5xjNBqi4w)

olehounddog
10-14-2009, 12:57 PM
I remember Willow Switches. but I don't think I ever got more than one swat.
It was the time taken to get the switch and strip the fuzzies off and bring it in, that gave time to think about what we had done. That was terror. :eek:
It was a very rare occurrence.

Most of mom's hickories came from a hedge bush. So they couldn't any real damage, but it would sting for a while. Looking back I deserved what I got. I remember my last whooping. I farted at the breakfast table.:o

pcosmar
10-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Most of mom's hickories came from a hedge bush. So they couldn't any real damage, but it would sting for a while. Looking back I deserved what I got. I remember my last whooping. I farted at the breakfast table.:o

:D
Blame the dog.
I do.
:cool:

evilfunnystuff
10-14-2009, 01:26 PM
nothing against the soap in the mouth punishment but to any who use it id be careful of the soap you use as most of todays soaps arent real soap but made from a bunch of chemicals wich actually can be harmful to your childs health

olehounddog
10-14-2009, 01:28 PM
The only time I was ever tortured was by my 1st grade teacher. She would fold your hand back palm up. Then if she didn't like your answer ..whap....ruler accross the palm. I even admited to things I didn't do because of it.

btw I'm 50 y/o so this was 1966.