PDA

View Full Version : Perpetual war is here — and Americans are getting used to it

bobbyw24
10-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Perpetual war is here — and Americans are getting used to it

Ron Smith

October 9, 2009

A new poll shows a substantial majority of Americans have resigned themselves to the reality of our nation's perpetual foreign wars. They don't like it, but they see it happening and know there is nothing they can do about it. The poll, conducted by Clarus Research Group, showed that 68 percent of us agree with idea that we won't either win or lose the war in Afghanistan, now eight years long, but will instead just remain there. The image of flies and flypaper again swirls in my head, just as it did at the time of the invasion of Iraq. We invaded these places and now we're stuck there, and President Barack Obama is likewise stuck, not on flypaper, but on the horns of a dilemma: Does he send tens of thousands of additional troops to Afghanistan, as his area commander, Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, has publicly demanded, or does he change strategies a la Joe Biden and rely more on special ops and drones to harass the Taliban and kill whatever members of al-Qaeda we can find?

The news is filled with stories about this showdown and the political consequences of what the president may decide to do. There are some calls for Mr. Obama to fire Mr. McChrystal for acting like Gen. Douglas MacArthur did during the Korean War, when he challenged the strategic decisions of President Harry Truman. The counterpoint, as is always the case, comes from people who say the civilian leadership should stay out of the way and let the generals wage war however they decide. That's more or less the position of the Republicans in Congress. That this subservience to the Pentagon would make the United States a sort of gargantuan Honduras doesn't seem to bother these people.

Republican and Democratic members of Congress met with Mr. Obama at the White House this week to deliver their exhortations, all of them promising to back whatever decision is reached, and the president saying he'll need some time to make his decision. That was to be expected, considering that it took him eight months to figure out what kind of dog to get for his daughters. The one thing he has promised - and this certainly feeds the public's resignation about the war - is that he won't, under any circumstance, withdraw from Afghanistan.

In a recent television interview, former career diplomat and one-time Secretary of State Lawrence Eagleburger said he sees another Vietnam debacle shaping up in Afghanistan but that there is no way to walk away from it, since to do so would be to suffer a loss of America's credibility. He bemoans another quagmire, yet says we must go ahead and be mired.

Good heavens. No wonder ordinary Americans are reading the tea leaves the way they are. Another poll, this one by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, shows these same Americans to be hawkish

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bal-op.smith09oct09,0,1680038.column

Matt Collins
10-14-2009, 08:56 AM
When did Congress last declare war? Because I don't remember it.

Dionysus
10-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Those who haven't done so....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

read. this. book.

thasre
10-14-2009, 09:51 AM

Didn't you know, Matt? A declaration of war is something you do fifty years later!

"Oh, by the way everyone - THAT was a war! Have a good day!"

You silly man... going around thinking that we have to let people know that we engage in wars while we're actually engaged in them. That might curb public support for our foreign interventionism. You aren't a wicked isolationist, are you?

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Very interesting that the first war that went against constitutional procedure is most likely going to be the cause of the next and final world war.

Matt Collins
10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Didn't you know, Matt? A declaration of war is something you do fifty years later!

"Oh, by the way everyone - THAT was a war! Have a good day!"

You silly man... going around thinking that we have to let people know that we engage in wars while we're actually engaged in them. That might curb public support for our foreign interventionism. You aren't a wicked isolationist, are you?Sorry... my bad. Will you forgive me if I lick your boots? :(

heavenlyboy34
10-14-2009, 05:02 PM

I'm pretty sure it was 1917.

Icymudpuppy
10-14-2009, 07:40 PM

December 8th, 1941. Upon the Empire of Japan and her allies.

Liberty Star
10-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Freedom March must go on , on rainy days and in good economy.

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-15-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm pretty sure it was 1917.

If my recollection is correct, I believe that when the U.S. entered into the Korean conflict was the first time that congress was bypassed regarding the issue.

AZJoe
07-03-2017, 08:54 AM
"Do Americans have any clue? …They don’t want to know the truth. They’d rather laud “the troops” … describeAmerica as a “force for good in the world.” It’s a state-worshiping worldviewthat resembles religion (https://www.libertarianinstitute.org/politics/tgif-religion-state/) fromwhich the ruling elite profits politically and financially. … War does have itsuses besides making a few folks rich and powerful. It’s good for distractingthe people … Thus the need for a constant supply of invented enemies …" - Sheldon Richman (https://www.libertarianinstitute.org/foreign-policy/tgif-american-way-war/)

timosman
07-03-2017, 07:57 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0148668/quotes?item=qt0294865

Bill Hicks: [about the Gulf War] It was a very stressful time for me, the war. I'll tell you why - I was in the unenviable position of being for the war, but against the troops. And ah... Not the most popular stance I've ever taken on an issue.