PDA

View Full Version : Apartment residents told to take down U.S. flags

REDNECK WOMAN
10-13-2009, 09:05 PM
ALBANY, Ore. - At the Oaks Apartments in Albany, the management can fly their own flag advertising one and two bedroom apartments - but residents have been told they can't fly any flags at all.

Jim Clausen flies the American flag from the back of his motorcycle. He has a son in the military heading back to Iraq, and the flag - he said - is his way of showing support.

"This flag stands for all those people," said Clausen, an Oaks Apartment resident. "It stands for the people that can no longer stand - who died in wars. That's why I fly this flag."

But to Oaks Apartment management, Clausen said, the American flag symbolizes problems.

He was told to remove the red, white and blue from both of his rides, or face eviction.

"It floored me," he said. "I can't believe she was saying what she was saying."

Even long-time residents like Sharron White, who has flown a flag on her car for eight years, has been told to take it down.

White said management told her that "someone might get offended."

"I just said to her 'They'll just have to get over it,'" White said.

Resident we talked to who had been approached to take down their flags all told us the same thing: that management told them the flags could be offensive because they live in a diverse community.

Attempts to find out for ourselves why management would ban flags were unsuccessful. KATU wanted to talk to management at Oaks Apartments, but no one has returned our calls. The woman we were told had made the decision said she was "not going to answer any questions."

The mother of one soldier fighting in Iraq put up a poster in her son's apartment window when she learned of the ban. Her son's roommate said he'll risk eviction to make sure it stays.

Another Oaks Apartment resident, Judith Sherer, doesn't have a car. Instead she carries an American flag around the complex to protest the ban, and wonders if the flag pin she wears is next to be "singled out."

"If I put it on and I walk outside, what's going to happen?" Sherer muses. "Am I going to be confronted by a manager about this?"

We're told the ban includes sports flags and even flag stickers on cars

http://www.katu.com/news/64059697.html#IDCThread

REDNECK WOMAN
10-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Here is a video link

http://www.katu.com/news/64059697.html?video=YHI&t=a

LibertyEagle
10-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow, that's horrible. :(

Dunedain
10-13-2009, 09:34 PM
As a liberatarian nationalist I'm torn between private property rights and pride in one's country. I believe the apartment owners have a strong case to do what they like with their own property. The resident should be able fly their flag on their own property as well (if they do in fact own any).

REDNECK WOMAN
10-13-2009, 09:43 PM
This is also on youtube.

This is our Country and our flag, freedom of expression. Next they will tell you that you can't wear a flag pen on your shirt!!! oh wait Obama won't wear one hmmm wonder where this is coming from? Well if you are ashamed of the flag and our country then get the hell our because we ARE flying our and I DO MEAN OUR flag!!! proud.

Folks fly your flag high!!!!

Vessol
10-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Cue NeoCon outrage.

Rael
10-13-2009, 10:00 PM
"I just said to her 'They'll just have to get over it,'" White said.

This

Bruno
10-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Why do I get the feeling if it was an Obama flag they wouldn't have said to take it down?

libertarian4321
10-13-2009, 11:14 PM
ALBANY, Ore. - At the Oaks Apartments in Albany, the management can fly their own flag advertising one and two bedroom apartments - but residents have been told they can't fly any flags at all.

This seems like a stupid rule to me, but it seems to me that the property owners have a right to impose this kind of rule on their property.

When I was younger and rented, I remember all kinds of dumb ass rules that apartment complexes imposed- what kind of curtains you could have in your window, what you could place on your balcony, etc.

Seems like those that are upset should probably either 1) move to another apartment or 2) buy their own property where they can fly any flag they like.

TheConstitutionLives
10-13-2009, 11:31 PM
This is also on youtube.

This is our Country and our flag, freedom of expression. Next they will tell you that you can't wear a flag pen on your shirt!!! oh wait Obama won't wear one hmmm wonder where this is coming from? Well if you are ashamed of the flag and our country then get the hell our because we ARE flying our and I DO MEAN OUR flag!!! proud.

Folks fly your flag high!!!!

- Who owns the property? If the lease agreement says that no flags are allowed on THEIR property and tennants agreed to abide by the contract by signing on the dotted line then no flags are allowed. Period. If the government made the apartment complex allow flags on their own property against their will then the government would be violating private property rights as well as interfering in a private contract (lease agreement) b/w consenting parties. Simple as that. The Apartment complex is well within their rights whether we agree with their decision or not. It's what freedom is all about, baby. If I'm allowed to be free then I have to allow you to be free as well. That includes me allowing you to do things I may disagree with.

Reason
10-13-2009, 11:39 PM
- Who owns the property? If the lease agreement says that no flags are allowed on THEIR property and tennants agreed to abide by the contract by signing on the dotted line then no flags are allowed. Period. If the government made the apartment complex allow flags on their own property against their will then the government would be violating private property rights as well as interfering in a private contract (lease agreement) b/w consenting parties. Simple as that. The Apartment complex is well within their rights whether we agree with their decision or not. It's what freedom is all about, baby. If I'm allowed to be free then I have to allow you to be free as well. That includes me allowing you to do things I may disagree with.

Agreed.

PS: Having your forum name be "REDNECK WOMAN" is not very becoming.

legion
10-13-2009, 11:44 PM

Sorry. They may own the property, but they can't tell people what they can and can't put on their own vehicles. That's just silly.

TheConstitutionLives
10-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Sorry. They may own the property, but they can't tell people what they can and can't put on their own vehicles. That's just silly.

It may be silly but if it does indeed say that no vehicles are allowed to do something then, again, it's THEIR property and the person who chose to sign the contract agreed to abide by the contract. I think it's dumb too but if it's in the lease agreement then it's a binding contract. Maybe they should've read the fine print before signing.

LibertyEagle
10-14-2009, 12:01 AM
It may be silly but if it does indeed say that no vehicles are allowed to do something then, again, it's THEIR property and the person who chose to sign the contract agreed to abide by the contract. I think it's dumb too but if it's in the lease agreement then it's a binding contract. Maybe they should've read the fine print before signing.

Where did she say that it was in their lease, because I didn't see it in the OP? It sounded to me like a proclamation that they made later on.

TheConstitutionLives
10-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Where did she say that it was in their lease, because I didn't see it in the OP? It sounded to me like a proclamation that they made later on.

- "...but IF it does indeed say..... "

I have no clue what the aggreement says. I said "if".

libertarian4321
10-14-2009, 12:05 AM

If they park the vehicles on property owned by someone else, the owner of the property is allowed to determine the conditions under which they may park.

Again, if you don't want to follow a bunch of stupid rules, buy your own property (one that doesn't have a HOA) and then you can do whatever the heck you want to do.

Pauls' Revere
10-14-2009, 01:24 AM
On the dudes ride (personal property) fly any flag he wishes...on the building (thus management property) fly no flag.

unklejman
10-14-2009, 09:29 AM
On the dudes ride (personal property) fly any flag he wishes...on the building (thus management property) fly no flag.

The "dudes ride" is sitting on the apartment owners property. If you came to my house and asked me if you could park in my driveway, and I said yes but you have to remove your favorite sports teams flag before you can, are you going to tell me but your car is your personal property?

legion
10-14-2009, 09:42 AM
The "dudes ride" is sitting on the apartment owners property. If you came to my house and asked me if you could park in my driveway, and I said yes but you have to remove your favorite sports teams flag before you can, are you going to tell me but your car is your personal property?

Contrary to popular libertarian belief, the apartment owner does not "own" the property. The state is the ultimate owner of all land, and I doubt the state is going to side with a tenant ("the landlord") of its land that suggests you can't fly the flag of the state on its property.

Go burn down your house and find out how much you own your own property. 5 years later after you are released from prison you will understand what I am saying.

Think about the origin of the word "Real estate." Real comes from the spanish word "royal," as in land is "the king's property."

pcosmar
10-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Simple solution.
MOVE
Refuse to pay any more rent and move.

Damn I hate apartments, almost as much as I hate Cities. :(

pcosmar
10-14-2009, 10:09 AM

I'm married to one.
I have an appreciation for Redneck women. ;)

unklejman
10-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Go burn down your house

Now why on earth would I do that?

Soca Taliban
10-14-2009, 02:53 PM
If its in the lease, then the tenants should abide by the contract they voluntarily agreed to. The notion that pride in a piece of cloth justifies violating contracts and privacy rights is simply silly.

Romulus
10-14-2009, 04:15 PM
thats it.. but it they make me take down my tinfoil in the windows im gonna leave.

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-14-2009, 04:39 PM
nt

Zippyjuan
10-14-2009, 06:00 PM
This was an issue in California a while back and they ruled that you cannot ban somebody from displaying the American flag- even at apartments or condos.

REDNECK WOMAN
10-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Agreed.

Hey I happen to like my name!!!! don't judge the book by the cover!!!!
I happen to have all my teeth and Hot, thank you very much.