PDA

View Full Version : Graham votes FOR the Hate Crimes Bill

RSLudlum
10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Damn, Graham is on a roll. That's one hell of a Republican Party he's "building".

Graham Votes in Favor of Hate Crimes (http://theconservativist.com/2009/10/13/graham-does-not-vote-on-hate-crimes-amendment/)

We learned today that the Senator everyone loves to hate in South Carolina, Lindsey Graham, did not vote on the amendment to include Hate Crimes in the National Defense Authorization Act and subsequently voted in favor of passing S.1390 (87/7) to be presented to committee and eventually the President.

The legislation was completely hidden from public view. Why you may ask? Because America and the media outlets granted their full attention to the Sotomayor confirmation hearings. We know good and well Senator Graham was in Washington because he was taking part in the confirmation hearings.

After the hearings, Graham voted on an amendment to S.1390 at 5:40pm on July 16th. The hate crimes amendment was voted on at 10:51pm on July 16th, passing 63/28.

Granted, Senator Graham’s absence did not effectively cause the bill to pass, but being the coalition builder he is, one would have hoped that he could have convinced the leadership to keep this out of the National Defense Authorization Act.

Senator Jim DeMint voted no on the amendment and bill passage.

source: http://theconservativist.com/2009/10/13/graham-does-not-vote-on-hate-crimes-amendment/

Austin
10-13-2009, 08:19 PM
EDIT: I fail.

Rael
10-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Of course he voted for it, it applies to him.

1836er
10-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Jeez, if South Carolina can't produce a better Senator than this we really are toast.

RSLudlum
10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Jeez, if South Carolina can't produce a better Senator than this we really are toast.

At least we have DeMint. He's a little better.

Vessol
10-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Graham Rolled

qh4dotcom
10-13-2009, 08:35 PM

It's all the fault of folks who didn't donate to Graham's opponent. Very few Ron Paul supporters (myself included) supported his pro-Ron-Paul opponent Bob Conley in last year's elections...Graham received millions in campaign contributions while Conley was almost broke...even with the lack of donations Conley managed to get 42% of the vote. Conley wasn't even able to get an endorsement from Ron Paul.

With an endorsement from RP and hundreds of thousands in donations like BJ Lawson received Conley could have beat him....now we are stuck for the next 6 years hearing Graham's trash talk.

Dunedain
10-13-2009, 08:42 PM
It IS called the HATE bill. Can you vote against a HATE bill once you drink the coolaid?

Dianne
10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
How far does SC rate on the total retard test? Aren't their scholastic abilities about as strong as the cricket in my backyard?

They say they hate gay peeps, but they continue to elect Graham? Are these peeps asleep? You have a total lobbyist controlled Senator, *****, dumb, never served five minutes in his life but ready to send your children to die "thing" that doesn't deserve five minutes of my time. The mod squad... remember? McCain/Graham/Lieberman... wow... with friends like that in Washington, who needs enemies?

angelatc
10-13-2009, 09:23 PM
It's all the fault of folks who didn't donate to Graham's opponent. Very few Ron Paul supporters (myself included) supported his pro-Ron-Paul opponent Bob Conley in last year's elections...Graham received millions in campaign contributions while Conley was almost broke...even with the lack of donations Conley managed to get 42% of the vote. Conley wasn't even able to get an endorsement from Ron Paul.

With an endorsement from RP and hundreds of thousands in donations like BJ Lawson received Conley could have beat him....now we are stuck for the next 6 years hearing Graham's trash talk.

You are so absolutely right.

BlackTerrel
10-13-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm not really for or against the hate bill but can someone explain to me why we should be worried. Who is this going to affect?

1836er
10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm not really for or against the hate bill but can someone explain to me why we should be worried. Who is this going to affect?

The main reasons to be against ANY "hate crime" bill are that they are based upon the premise of collective or group rights rather than individual rights... and they are an attempt to punish people's thoughts or motives more than their actions.

The Deacon
10-13-2009, 10:08 PM
They're just warming up for the attempt to sneak anti-2nd Amendment legislation into Obamacare.

Bruno
10-13-2009, 10:16 PM
The main reasons to be against ANY "hate crime" bill are that they are based upon the premise of collective or group rights rather than individual rights... and they are an attempt to punish people's thoughts or motives more than their actions.

+1

And they are just plain stupid on their face. Does a man who beats his wife to death, undoubtedly hating her in the process, deserve a lesser sentence than a man who beat a man to death simply because he was a homosexual?

In some cases there is a mandatory doubling of the sentence. Is that justice to collectively associate unequal punishments due to their thoughts while they commited a crime?

BlackTerrel
10-13-2009, 11:00 PM

And they are just plain stupid on their face. Does a man who beats his wife to death, undoubtedly hating her in the process, deserve a lesser sentence than a man who beat a man to death simply because he was a homosexual?

How about a 1) a man that catches his wife cheating on him and in a fit of rage kills her versus 2) a man who plots for months to kill his wife and finally does.

We already more severely punish #2 than #1. Why is that ok?

Me personally - if you beat your wife to death you deserve to die anyway. Hate crime charges are superfluous, but they don't retract.

qh4dotcom
10-14-2009, 08:28 PM
You are so absolutely right.

Thanks! Hate to say it but it's also Ron Paul's fault for not endorsing Bob Conley. It's obvious that Graham is behaving this way because he now has a grudge against Ron Paul supporters. He sure hasn't forgotten that it was a Ron Paul supporter who dared to take away his precious Senate seat.