PDA

View Full Version : Google Wave...A grass roots tool?

wizardwatson
10-13-2009, 01:12 PM
If you wouldn't mind, please request an invitation for a Google Wave account via this link (https://services.google.com/fb/forms/wavesignup/) if you haven't already. It will take you less than thirty seconds.

Anyway, I know many of us on these boards use Google services as half of the users polled use GMail, via this thread. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=179325)

Google Wave is a real-time multi-user collaboration tool with a very generous open-source framework, and a simple usable api.

Go to wave.google.com to get the rundown.

I think it would be a great tool for community organizers, as opposed to email/chat/wiki/conference call all as separate entities. There are a thousand uses for something like this and the api pretty much allows programmers like myself to tweak it to where we could add anything from a simple voting mechanism, to a complex multi-player board game. Something which can't currently be done on closed proprietary systems like these bulletin boards/facebook/meetup.com.

Feedback?

There are people on this thread including myself that have invites for Google Wave so maybe if you ask nicely (like I did) you could get one too!!!

AS OF 11/30/09 THERE ARE 34 PARTICIPANTS ON THE MAIN RON PAUL WAVE!

dannno
10-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks..

I just put in for an account..

ronpaulhawaii
10-13-2009, 01:32 PM
OK, you convinced me. I can barely keep up with FB and here, but this sounds like something that can become powerful and getting in early will help

Thanks

wizardwatson
10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
OK, you convinced me. I can barely keep up with FB and here, but this sounds like something that can become powerful and getting in early will help

Thanks

Well, I'm already hooked on Google App Engine. It is a very cool and very free web application platform. Through Google App Engine, Google is essentially giving every web developer 5 million page views per month for free (that's a lot for free).

Now that's great and all and allows developers to do some really cool stuff backend, but you still have to design all the interface, make it collaborative, blah blah. So essentially what happens is many developers play with it for a few months and then don't do anything with it. With Google Wave we get all the interface/multi-user collaboration/storage facility all up front. So Google Wave makes Google App Engine all that more appealing, for me anyways.

Don't want to get hopes up too soon though as Google likes to take their time.

The point of this, is people are always PM'ing ideas for coding stuff, but the problem is that most ideas, even relatively simple ones, require user accounts, secure authentication, database/static xml for storage, etc. Making even a simple collaborative voting widget hard to implement easily.

I don't know if this will be the killer communication platform or not, but it's the best candidate I've seen and as a movement, I think its worth checking out and getting into early if possible.

Ian A.
10-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Let's not forget You Tube's new "Promoted Video" feature!

Since Ron Paul is big on You Tube, we could make him and his issues HUGE using this tool:

https://ads.youtube.com/

YouTube - YouTube Promoted Videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNeL_eUOY88&feature=player_embedded)

mrsat_98
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
i want an invite.

dannno
10-27-2009, 05:04 PM
My friend got an official invite, which allotted him 6 or 8 invites himself.. he invited me, but that did not entitle me to give out invites.

This is pretty interesting, though:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/wave/thread?tid=51ab1dba08130519&hl=en

http://groups.google.com/group/google-maps-data-api/browse_frm/thread/6a2a8fac9735280e?pli=1

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/wave/thread?tid=086ffe5c31ab70e6&hl=en

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/wave/thread?tid=2f11d9f4df3dc801&hl=en

Anybody know what's up with that?

Austin
10-27-2009, 08:23 PM
watson, what's your email?

newbitech
10-27-2009, 10:16 PM
i mentioned googlewave a few weeks back. I need a user account. I also applied for the sandbox aka developer account.

if anyone has a user account with invites please send to my handle at gmail.com. thx!

FunkBuddha
10-28-2009, 12:06 AM
If anyone has an extra invite I'd appreciate the hell out of it. I've been wanting to try this out for a while now.

RonPaulVolunteer
10-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Would appreciate an invite too please. I run 3 libertarian groups and could really use this. Please PM me if you can extend me an invite. Much thanks!

UtahApocalypse
11-11-2009, 08:39 AM
I have 8-10 invites available. Please let me know if you need one and will be serious about using it has a powerful grassroots collaboration tool.

I think back about the "Ames Ad" design night on this board and imagine what Wave would have been like for projects like that and others.

axiomata
11-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I've got 20 invites. PM me with your email.

And a heads up, it appears the invitations won't go out automatically once I submit your email. It says:

Google Wave is more fun when you have others to wave with, so please nominate people you would like to add. Keep in mind that this is a preview so it could be a bit rocky at times.

Invitations will not be sent immediately. We have a lot of stamps to lick.

Happy waving!

Bryan
11-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Wave is a game changer. IMO, it will take a few years for it to really get out there, but it will change online collaboration / social networking. Part of the benefit is that you will have a universal wave login to track all the discussion across the web that you are interested in in one location. I am willing to guess that within two years vBulletin will integrated into wave, as well as some of the standard blogs and other CMS systems.

I've got a wave account but have not received any invite offers yet. PM to get me on your wave contacts.

RPTXState
11-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Waiting at my email for the invite to be sent out

Captain Bryan
11-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Anyone who has a Wave account send me a PM so we can connect.

wizardwatson
11-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Anyone who has a Wave account send me a PM so we can connect.

Do you have a Google Wave account? We're all waiting for somebody to invite somebody that's on RonPaulForums.

wizardwatson
11-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Wave is a game changer. IMO, it will take a few years for it to really get out there, but it will change online collaboration / social networking. Part of the benefit is that you will have a universal wave login to track all the discussion across the web that you are interested in in one location. I am willing to guess that within two years vBulletin will integrated into wave, as well as some of the standard blogs and other CMS systems.

I've got a wave account but have not received any invite offers yet. PM to get me on your wave contacts.

Oh, so when you do get an account they don't give you like 50 invites or whatever? Bummer, if that's the case.

wizardwatson
11-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Holy Crap just read the rest of this whole thread, people have invites!!!!

Ah! Somebody send me one!! PLEASE!

wizard watson at g mail dot com

Captain Bryan
11-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Doubt I'll ever be able to invite anyone.. but if I get to i'l probably save 3 for my friends and you guys will get the rest.

wizardwatson
11-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Holy Crap just read the rest of this whole thread, people have invites!!!!

Ah! Somebody send me one!! PLEASE!

wizard watson at g mail dot com

Well, I got an invite ( not sure from who exactly ).

Thanks Austin!!

wizardwatson
11-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Ok, my account has been activated via an invite.

Thanks again Krippy!!

I'm thinking of maybe editing the OP to keep a list of people who are connected on google wave that are also members here.

In fact I wanted to do this earlier even if only for GMail/GTalk, but having Google Wave as an option makes the whole idea more appealing.

UtahApocalypse
11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Hope this works; You will have to have aWave account though to access it:

https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored:search:in%253A%2522Ron+Paul%2522,restore d:wave:googlewave.com!w%252BN_AfpK_sA.4

RideTheDirt
11-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Pm me if you have an extra invite please.

wizardwatson
11-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Hope this works; You will have to have aWave account though to access it:

https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored:search:in%253A%2522Ron+Paul%2522,restore d:wave:googlewave.com!w%252BN_AfpK_sA.4

totally works!!

and will have to check out how that "public wave" functionality works. I see its using appspot. I know future plans are for tight integration between "google wave bots" and app engine. I've had an appengine account since early this year.

Lot of potential in this thing if it makes it out of alpha stage anytime soon.

american.swan
11-12-2009, 09:14 PM
I twitter.
I have msn.
I have skype.
I have email.
I have a facebook account(linked to my twitter updates)
I just received my google wave account this morning. I think it is going to be huge, but right now, it SUCKS, for basically one reason. I can't wave with anyone. They're all sleeping while I'm awake in Korea. I have no documents to collaborate on with ANYONE. I have no blog. Twave won't update fast enough and I can't retweet. Tweetree.com works faster. For now, the darn thing is useless. And even IF my whole family and friends were to shockingly have WAVE accounts, NONE of them would use it to a large extent because even Facebook is an afterthought to them.

wizardwatson
11-25-2009, 10:06 AM
I twitter.
I have msn.
I have skype.
I have email.
I have a facebook account(linked to my twitter updates)
I just received my google wave account this morning. I think it is going to be huge, but right now, it SUCKS, for basically one reason. I can't wave with anyone. They're all sleeping while I'm awake in Korea. I have no documents to collaborate on with ANYONE. I have no blog. Twave won't update fast enough and I can't retweet. Tweetree.com works faster. For now, the darn thing is useless. And even IF my whole family and friends were to shockingly have WAVE accounts, NONE of them would use it to a large extent because even Facebook is an afterthought to them.

All your points are valid. I don't envision GWave to be a 'basic' tool. I see it as a replacement for people who use 'a lot' of basic tools. There is no need for the average RP supporter to use anything other than standard email imho.

Oh, by the way...

Got me some Google Wave invites today!!

GunnyFreedom
11-25-2009, 10:55 AM
I just got my invite last night, been going nuts on the wave. Just signed on to the RP wave. Already have a wave published on my Blogger, also have a wave on the NCFFA including text and updates.

CAN'T WAIT for waves to be generally visible to people without wave accounts, the biggest thing for me will be embedding these things into ordinary websites like blogs, campaign site, and Drupal.

Mind you, the idea of 'anybody on the planet' being able to edit an embedded wave one a campaign or a county GOP website is not so hot, so there certainly needs to be some moderation tools, like who can to what, if/where the public can reply etc.

Would like to simply be able to make the public "read only" on the wave and let them reply via standard Drupal/Blogger tools; while making "officers" able to update & edit....

But that I am sure, is in the works.

ETA: glen42@googlewave.com

UtahApocalypse
11-26-2009, 08:26 AM
I just got my invite last night, been going nuts on the wave. Just signed on to the RP wave. Already have a wave published on my Blogger, also have a wave on the NCFFA including text and updates.

CAN'T WAIT for waves to be generally visible to people without wave accounts, the biggest thing for me will be embedding these things into ordinary websites like blogs, campaign site, and Drupal.

Mind you, the idea of 'anybody on the planet' being able to edit an embedded wave one a campaign or a county GOP website is not so hot, so there certainly needs to be some moderation tools, like who can to what, if/where the public can reply etc.

Would like to simply be able to make the public "read only" on the wave and let them reply via standard Drupal/Blogger tools; while making "officers" able to update & edit....

remember that Waves do not have to be public. matter of fact they are private as default unless you add the public address or robot.

constituent
11-26-2009, 09:16 AM

That's why you institute wave hierarchies that build gradually toward the wave you're using that provides the content to your site. ;)

newbitech
11-29-2009, 09:47 PM
ahh haa haa,, thank you thank you, just got my wave account activated today, I have 8 invites, gonna reserve 6 for business and friends, but have 2 extras for active Ron Paul Forums users who want it. I need to read up on how to do stuff with wave, but ahh yeah, how do I join groups etcz?

GunnyFreedom
11-29-2009, 10:46 PM
ahh haa haa,, thank you thank you, just got my wave account activated today, I have 8 invites, gonna reserve 6 for business and friends, but have 2 extras for active Ron Paul Forums users who want it. I need to read up on how to do stuff with wave, but ahh yeah, how do I join groups etcz?

I still have zero. you got activated with invites? aww maaannn I've got the beginnings of a volunteer network I am waiting to hook up and coordinate on the wave.

ETA - WOOOT! I just opened it up, got my 8 invites....4 minutes ago!

newbitech
11-29-2009, 10:56 PM
I still have zero. you got activated with invites? aww maaannn I've got the beginnings of a volunteer network I am waiting to hook up and coordinate on the wave.

ETA - WOOOT! I just opened it up, got my 8 invites....4 minutes ago!

sweet, I'm still waiting for my sandbox. How do I put waves in a blog? Anyone know yet?

GunnyFreedom
11-29-2009, 11:03 PM
sweet, I'm still waiting for my sandbox. How do I put waves in a blog? Anyone know yet?

embeddy will give you the code, I managed to embed one into my blogger here (http://rightflank.blogspot.com/), but for wordpress you have to serve your own (for now)

It's pretty straightforward for embedding into straight HTML. A little more work for a Drupal.

embeddy@appspot.com

ETA: and no - I am not in the sandbox

newbitech
11-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Ok, so I got wave working with my blog and the thought occurred to me, where this is going to be bad assssssss, is in the comments sections. yeah, let me take care of that right now.

wizardwatson
11-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I now have 23 invites up from 16 last week. I'll probably only need 5 or 6 for my personal contacts, and the rest I can give away.

speciallyblend
11-30-2009, 10:03 AM
can someone send me an invite to google wave? my wife has it but cannot send invites, thanks

garyallen59
11-30-2009, 10:18 AM
i would appreciate an invite if there is anyone willing to send me one

wizardwatson
11-30-2009, 10:24 AM
can someone send me an invite to google wave? my wife has it but cannot send invites, thanks

Yours is sent.

i would appreciate an invite if there is anyone willing to send me one

You can PM me if you want an invite and DON"T FORGET TO INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS!

GunnyFreedom
11-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Hahaha! It's kinda funny watching all these new users just magically appear in my contacts list. 8-) They seem to come in clumps. err.. waves? (groan)

I intend to use g-wave to coordinate my State House campaign, so this will be...interesting...to say the least. Right now trying to decide who to give my remaining 6 invites out to according to who will be the biggest help in coordinating my campaign...

ETA: (otherwise I'd be GLAD to just hand them out to RPF'ers, promise!)

Matt Collins
12-01-2009, 12:39 AM
YouTube - Google Wave presentation - abridged (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itc4253kjhw)

You can see the full 1 hour long video here:
http://wave.google.com/

Matt Collins
12-01-2009, 12:41 AM
I just signed up for it. Here are some reviews:

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/09/07/22/220226/Google-Wave-Reviewed
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/08/15/2347257/Google-Wave-Preview-Opens-Up-On-Sept-30th

JamesButabi
12-01-2009, 11:31 AM
I just signed up. Il get this rolling soon

dannno
12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Do they even require invites anymore or can you just signup?

If anybody needs an invite, send me a PM.

GunnyFreedom
12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Do they even require invites anymore or can you just signup?

If anybody needs an invite, send me a PM.

If it's just a sign-up thing, that means I was only special for 1 week? :eek: :( :mad: ;) :D

mrsat_98
12-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I have 8 invites pm an email address for an invite.

So how do we get to the ron paul wave.

GunnyFreedom
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I have 8 invites pm an email address for an invite.

So how do we get to the ron paul wave.

click here (https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored:search:in%253A%2522Ron+Paul%2522,restore d:wave:googlewave.com!w%252BN_AfpK_sA.4)

GunnyFreedom
12-04-2009, 04:23 PM
LOL wuuuuuuut?

Ever get the feeling that you are looking into one of those "infinity" mirror set-ups?

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/random/rpwav2.gif

Nate K
12-08-2009, 02:04 PM
send me an invite someoneeeeeee

UnReconstructed
12-08-2009, 10:22 PM
send me an invite someoneeeeeee

send me your email

Captain Bryan
12-09-2009, 01:15 AM
PM me with your email address and you will most likely get a invite in a day or two. I have 20 to give away.

newbitech
12-11-2009, 12:28 PM
so I can log in to RPF from Gwave. Kind of strange, but possible useful if the right type of bots can be made.... hmmmmm what will be radical is when the protocol comes to embed waves in forum posts. Will revolutionize the forums IMO.

Jeremy
12-11-2009, 12:35 PM
so I can log in to RPF from Gwave. Kind of strange, but possible useful if the right type of bots can be made.... hmmmmm what will be radical is when the protocol comes to embed waves in forum posts. Will revolutionize the forums IMO.

It's an iframe in a website... nothing new. You could do that for years. Nothing to be excited about.

newbitech
12-11-2009, 12:59 PM
It's an iframe in a website... nothing new. You could do that for years. Nothing to be excited about.

Of course it is an iframe in a website, that is not the new and exciting part tho.

newbitech
12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
http://google.com/support/wave/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=162900

here are the advanced search terms, you can make queries with these. Also, you can combine queries.

for instance, this query will find all public waves with "Ron Paul" anywhere in the content.

with:public about:"Ron Paul"

ronpaulhawaii
12-15-2009, 06:48 PM
testing from inside a wave

newbitech
12-18-2009, 04:20 PM
I have 23 more invites that just became available, so please PM me with your gmail account if you'd like a wave invite.

ronpaulhawaii
12-18-2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.tech-tweak.net/2009/12/how-to-embed-google-wave-on-blogger-or.html

For last one month I have been using Google Wave and also sent many invites to friends and others. A week ago I recalled that these is also a facility to embed waves in blogs and websites. Better to start with Blogger as this blog is launched at blogger. I started Googling and end up with successful solution which is here. To view the wave you need to have either preview or sandbox account with Google Wave, otherwise you will only see the login page of Wave. If you have account then don't worry, just login and you will see full featured wave, also you would be able to comment and reply. I have embedded a Wave bottom of the page as widget, view and leave comment in that widget.

Anyway! here’s how to embed Google Wave in your blog or website...

Matt Collins
12-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Facebook group for Google Wave
Liberty Grassroots users:
[/URL][URL]http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=191736391680 (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=191736391680)

ronpaulhawaii
12-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Google Wave – Current and Pending Apps

http://thechrisvossshow.com/?p=1192

rpfan2008
12-26-2009, 12:20 PM
It's better NOT to do anything political with Google.

It is globalists' sniff machine.

GunnyFreedom
12-26-2009, 12:39 PM
It's better NOT to do anything political with Google.

It is globalists' sniff machine.

If we took this approach, then we would be stuck with lead pencil and lined paper; and couriering messages on horseback.

Who cares if some knothead at Google knows that I am conducting a signbomb on December 28th? The notion that I should be reduced to hammer and chisel on rock just because someone I may not like runs the servers at Google is ludicrous.

rpfan2008
12-26-2009, 12:53 PM
If we took this approach, then we would be stuck with lead pencil and lined paper; and couriering messages on horseback.

Who cares if some knothead at Google knows that I am conducting a signbomb on December 28th? The notion that I should be reduced to hammer and chisel on rock just because someone I may not like runs the servers at Google is ludicrous.

I didn't mean that.

The word "political" in my post was a code word for something else.

Orwell1984
12-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm watching the 1.5 hour demo video of Google Wave now. It seems very exciting. I think it will revolutionize the way we communicate. I just filled out an application to get an invite. I hope I receive one....

Captain Bryan
12-27-2009, 12:54 AM
I'm watching the 1.5 hour demo video of Google Wave now. It seems very exciting. I think it will revolutionize the way we communicate. I just filled out an application to get an invite. I hope I receive one....

Or you could just PM me with your email address and get one in about a day.;)

wizardwatson
12-23-2010, 03:37 PM
UPDATE: Google seems to be shit-canning this whole product.

wizardwatson
12-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Apparently not. See above post.

wizardwatson
02-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Google Wave is dead, but this product from a different company may allow us to do what Wave was promising and more.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?278304-A-Better-Means-of-Organizing