PDA

View Full Version : GOP launches new website [to appeal to younger voters]

bobbyw24
10-13-2009, 09:52 AM
GOP launches new website
By Eric Zimmermann - 10/13/09 10:27 AM ET

The Republican National Committee (RNC) launched a new website today, featuring a flury of blogs, social networking tools and information on party history.

First time visitors to the site will be greeted by a digital Michael Steele, who walks on the screen to introduce the new site.

"We're building a digital space that grassroots Republicans can finally call home," the miniature Steele says.

The site has a page on Republican heroes, everyday Republican "faces," and a timeline of GOP accomplishments. (They might want to figure out something to add for the period between 2004-2008.)

Finally, chairman Steele has his own blog, entitled, "What up?"

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/62765-gop-launches-new-website

bobbyw24
10-13-2009, 09:53 AM
"We're building a digital space that grassroots Republicans can finally call home," the miniature Steele says.

Apparently Mr. Steele has not heard of Liberty Forest

2young2vote
10-13-2009, 10:00 AM
pathetic. I hate it when these people try to appeal to young kids.

Captain Bryan
10-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Apparently Mr. Steele has not heard of Liberty Forest
Oh, I'm sure he has.

bucfish
10-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Someone with screenshot should post the graph of it compared to DailyPaul, RPF, and CFL on ALexa. It just shows what the GOP could do to get some traffic.

BudhaStalin
10-13-2009, 10:12 AM
If we infiltrate the forum now while its starting with our austrian ideas then perhaps all new-comers will think that such thinking is the norm for the GOP and we will convert them without them even knowing it! haha... yeah.

ctiger2
10-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Major Fail!

Your search - Ron Paul - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

* Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
* Try different keywords.
* Try more general keywords.
* Try fewer keywords.

You'd think a site about the GOP would at least have some searchable information about the leader of the party, Ron Paul...

hugolp
10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
If we infiltrate the forum now while its starting with our austrian ideas then perhaps all new-comers will think that such thinking is the norm for the GOP and we will convert them without them even knowing it! haha... yeah.

Hahaha that might just work...

Wonder how long would it take for them to start deleting the messages.

KAYA
10-13-2009, 10:34 AM

This is exactly what we need to do! Infiltrate the party, that's what all the radical marxist did with the Democrat party and it worked.

tmosley
10-13-2009, 10:53 AM
I registered, and started posting on their economics forums. I think everyone here should all follow suit.

Isaac Bickerstaff
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
GOP trying to appeal to younger voters, eh?
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Funny/free_candy_van.jpg

hugolp
10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
The place is down. Maybe they can get some advice from the RonPaulForums webmasters :D

zach
10-13-2009, 11:45 AM
they can't beat Josh.

tmosley
10-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Working fine for me. I posted the Free Market Comic Books from the sticky there. I have a nasty suspicion that it will wind up only being us there, as there seems to be very little traffic, most of which is probably coming from this thread.

angelatc
10-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Hahaha that might just work...

Holy crap I like that a lot.

angelatc
10-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Working fine for me. I posted the Free Market Comic Books from the sticky there. I have a nasty suspicion that it will wind up only being us there, as there seems to be very little traffic, most of which is probably coming from this thread.

Down for me, at least from the link on the Hill's page. They probably didn't realize they'd get 5 visitors all in one day.

sevin
10-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I registered, and started posting on their economics forums. I think everyone here should all follow suit.

Good idea!

bobbyw24
10-13-2009, 02:00 PM
New GOP Web Site Reaches for Grassroots

John D. McKinnon reports on political parties.

The new Republican National Committee Web site, launched this morning, was most notable for what it lacks – a lot of high-volume, top-down messaging about Washington big shots. The site clearly is shifting the emphasis to listening more to the party’s grassroots, something that Chairman Michael Steele made a central promise when he was elected in January.

Now, the site’s success in the 2010 election cycle – and the party’s – will be a crucial test for Steele.

The new, cooler-looking site devotes a ton of space to social media, particularly the party’s lively Facebook page. It seeks more broadly to tap into the current conservative ferment, with lots of blogs and organizing and fund-raising tools, as well as huge displays of user-submitted pictures and other grassroots material. The centerpiece is the new OurGOP: The Republican Action Network.

“It breaks the mold of a conventional political Web site in many ways and is a sign that Michael Steele is serious about changing the culture of the RNC,” said Patrick Ruffini, a conservative new-media strategist.

Still, the opening on Tuesday was decidedly low-key. There were a few notices on friendly Web sites and a bit of congratulatory tweeting among the GOP technorati. Democrats sniped about a malfunctioning “Future Leaders” page, which the RNC said it quickly fixed. But several of the interactive pages, including Steele’s own blog, “What up?” were drawing little response.

It’s all a reminder that the Republican Party still has lots of work to do to recapture the energy of the 1980s and 1990s – or catch up to Democrats in use of technology. It’s also perhaps a reflection of the perennial organizing problems that the party has had with its highly individualistic members.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/10/13/new-gop-web-site-reaches-for-grassroots/

JeNNiF00F00
10-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Its very commie looking. All that red is killing the eyes.

catdd
10-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Having problems with the site, but the plan is sinfully delicious.

tajitj
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh yes, lets turn that into Ron Paul forums part duex!!!!!

thasre
10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I totally support the idea of "infiltrating" their forum, especially since it's ostensibly about growing the party and giving voice to the grassroots, but I just would like to ask everyone to refrain from being dicks. Not saying that everyone will be, but sometimes Ron Paul supporters have a tendency to go into attack mode over minor disagreements when I think it's much more helpful to concede the occasional point or let it go than to make people reject us altogether by pissing them off.

Flash
10-13-2009, 03:52 PM
This isn't working, I can't register. May be it's a board error.

brandon
10-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Their forum is retarded...when you sign up you have to make an account name and a "screenname." Yet for some reason when you post in the forum it doesn't use your account name or screenname, it uses your full real name.

Anyway, here is my first thread:
http://our.gop.com/forums/Topic4243950-3720-1.aspx

brandon
10-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Thread 2: http://our.gop.com/forums/Topic4244010-3722-1.aspx

Hopefully more people start posting here, it's pretty dead so far.

Matt Collins
10-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Just registered. This should be fun.

Kevin_Kennedy
10-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm there as well. :cool:

Matt Collins
10-13-2009, 10:00 PM
The site isn't working for me now. I try to login and it gives me some sort of script error.

muzzled dogg
10-13-2009, 10:12 PM
this new site is hip

1836er
10-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Good Night! And I mean that literally. I submitted a post a couple of hours ago in the "Why I'm a Republican" thread and it still hasn't been uploaded to the site. If they don't have at least one or two people manning the website and approving comments for submission 24/7 (which I'm guessing is the reason mine nor others seem to have posted over the last couple of hours), then the folks running the RNC are even more pathetic than I already thought they were.

Brian4Liberty
10-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Wonder how long would it take for them to start deleting the messages.

Not long, considering the messages that have been posted so far. Some of them are not too subtle. It will probably be like the Hannity forum by the end of the week.

The Deacon
10-13-2009, 11:57 PM
They probably put a comment filter on the phrase "ron paul" just like with profanities.

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-14-2009, 12:03 AM
nt

Pauls' Revere
10-14-2009, 01:27 AM

Insurgent Conservative!
:D

in·sur·gent (n-sűrjnt)
adj.
1. Rising in revolt against established authority, especially a government.
2. Rebelling against the leadership of a political party.

bobbyw24
10-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Ron Paul–Finally–Gets His Due

Susan Davis reports on politics.

For much of the 2008 campaign, Texas lawmaker and Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul and his supporters served as a thorn in the side—or a punching bag—for the mainstream GOP establishment.

Yet today, the six men vying to run the Republican National Committee praised the grassroots enthusiasm Paul tapped into during his campaign—and discussed how they would like to capture that enthusiasm to expand the party's appeal.

"Ron Paul certainly brought a whole new generation of voters and I think it's important going forward that we recognize the strengths and the attributes of these individuals who are out there actively building the party and building a movement, a consensus if you will, on certain issues. We can't look that in the eye and say 'No, we don't want that,'" said former Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele, adding that the RNC needs to find "creative ways" to work with candidates supported by Paul and his followers, and to work with Paul directly to that end.

"I think, at this stage at this party, everyone who can help us should be brought into the room to help us," Steele said.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/01/05/ron-paul-finally-gets-his-due/

bobbyw24
10-14-2009, 06:09 AM
As the Republican Party continues its pilgrimage through the desert, its leaders may be missing the oasis for the vale of tears.

The answer to the party's woes isn't a revamped Web site (GOP.com) offering -- wowser! -- really cool social networking platforms.

The answer won't be found in the sudden realization that 83 percent of young people 18 to 24 have an online profile -- or other late-breaking revelations that merely reinforce the perception of the GOP as woefully behind the curve.

The answer is . . . drum roll, please . . . women.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/13/AR2009101302655.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

SimpleName
10-14-2009, 06:19 AM
LOL! Love how the forum is just littered with Paulites. There really isn't anybody else. Shows how little people pay attention to this party.

Signed up, can't log in. Not even sure if it registered or not. That full name thing is rather irritating, especially after they asked for a "screenname" and a "username". They have things ALL messed up.

EDIT: Got registered, but won't allow me to reply or do anything in the forum. Despite welcoming on the home page, I'm not logged in once I arrive at the forum. Then again, not sure why I care.

justinc.1089
10-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Ron Paul–Finally–Gets His Due

Susan Davis reports on politics.

For much of the 2008 campaign, Texas lawmaker and Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul and his supporters served as a thorn in the side—or a punching bag—for the mainstream GOP establishment.

Yet today, the six men vying to run the Republican National Committee praised the grassroots enthusiasm Paul tapped into during his campaign—and discussed how they would like to capture that enthusiasm to expand the party's appeal.

"Ron Paul certainly brought a whole new generation of voters and I think it's important going forward that we recognize the strengths and the attributes of these individuals who are out there actively building the party and building a movement, a consensus if you will, on certain issues. We can't look that in the eye and say 'No, we don't want that,'" said former Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele, adding that the RNC needs to find "creative ways" to work with candidates supported by Paul and his followers, and to work with Paul directly to that end.

"I think, at this stage at this party, everyone who can help us should be brought into the room to help us," Steele said.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/01/05/ron-paul-finally-gets-his-due/

Ha maybe Steele actually has enough sense unlike the rest of the party to realize you can't just try to destroy a faction of your own party that probably makes up like 1/4 or 1/5 of it.

Work with Ron Paul, candidates he supports, and Paul supporters, what a crazy idea.:rolleyes:

I'm certainly getting on there soon and joining.

justinc.1089
10-14-2009, 08:25 AM
THAT is a NEW site???

That site is tragic lol. It doesn't look new or cutting edge at all. The graphics aren't very good and it just has GOP everywhere, not people that show the principles of the party (probably because those are hard to find right now) or the word Republican. Maybe its just me but I think Republican should be prominent at the top of the site not GOP.

Also again maybe its just me but I have no idea who that guy is that is in the GOP at the top of the site.

They need a flag background behind the video area too below the red banner across the top of the site. That dull grey white background kills the look of the site. And blue is not forbidden on a Republican website. If they would work in some blue it would improve the site's appearance, which is why an American flag background instead of that dull grey-white background would look great.

They need some pictures of people too. Maybe Reagan I guess. Its probably good they don't have people on there though because if they did it would probably be McCain and/or Bush which would make me want to vomit.

Its funny the site has no face of a leader on it because the party itself right now is indeed truly faceless.

The true leader that should be pictured on the site right now is Ron Paul. They should have that pic of him that was on his campaign's website way back when they changed it to the black donation ticker counter thing. That would make their site look awesome!!!

justinc.1089
10-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Ha so far its mostly us there lol. I don't see any other posts yet that look like Hannitized Neo-cons.

thasre
10-14-2009, 09:22 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28253.html

Chester Copperpot
10-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Who here wrote this?
http://our.gop.com/forums/FindPost4244093.aspx

I like it, but we all know the GOP aint getting behind RP, unless they do it while kicking and screaming, as we drag them along. hahaha

justinc.1089
10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Who here wrote this?
http://our.gop.com/forums/FindPost4244093.aspx

I like it, but we all know the GOP aint getting behind RP, unless they do it while kicking and screaming, as we drag them along. hahaha

I thought that was great too lol. I was trying at first not to mention I'm a Paul supporter, not because of Paul being disliked but just not to alienate people by naming a past candidate, but I found out quickly in the Defense section thats not going to work lol. I'm already obviously a Paul supporter on there lol.

We all need to send each other friend requests on there just so we can message each other about stuff if we need to.

justinc.1089
10-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Also I'm Justin Cox on there just so everyone knows who I am lol.:D

bobbyw24
10-14-2009, 09:49 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28253.html

The Republican National Committee on Tuesday tried to downplay criticism of its newly unveiled website www.gop.com, which was plagued by embarrassing omissions and numerous crashes on its first day of operation.

Among the problems were the posting of administrator passwords, a list of GOP accomplishments that ended in 2004 and a “future leaders” section that was devoid of material. In addition, the site was inaccessible for much of the day.

RNC New Media Director Todd Herman said the site was struggling from attracting “an enormous amount of traffic,” adding that the committee was adding new servers to prevent further problems accommodating Internet traffic. An RNC official did not have traffic statistics available.

BudhaStalin
10-14-2009, 10:06 AM
the site is so frustrating to navigate...

justinc.1089
10-14-2009, 10:12 AM

Yeah it is, like how they have a "Discuss" button thing, but yet the forums are under "Our GOP." Everything under "Discuss" is actually just stuff they post that you can comment on. I don't really consider that a discussion myself lol.

Also everyone be sure to rate the topics we start with 5 stars too.

And is there a way to make a signature on there?

bobbyw24
10-14-2009, 10:23 AM
After RNC Chairman Michael Steele named his GOP.gov blog "What up?," it caused plenty of head scratches online from Republicans and Democrats alike.

Well, he must have heard and heeded the criticism, because the blog's name has been quietly changed to "Changing the Game."

http://www.politico.com/click/stories/0910/steele_changes_blog_name.html

ctiger2
10-14-2009, 10:42 AM

The only page you need to bookmark is http://our.gop.com/forums/

You can update your profile to use a screenname if you select account settings upper right and then profile info on left.

bobbyw24
10-14-2009, 11:11 AM
GOP Posts Password, Admin Instructions on New Web Site

By Michael McAuliff

Talk about transparency!

In their haste to get their new Web site up and running, the Republican Party has posted online a slew of things you wouldn’t normally expect.

Such as instructions on how to operate the Web site.

In checking to see who was in the New York State section of the site, (in addition to the other gaffes people have noted) we noticed three members. One was the “rnc-admin.”

Curious, we clicked. And there, we found, and downloaded, the “ForumsAdministrationDocumentation,” the “ForumsUserGuide,” and the “Admin_Guide,” among other things.

Oh, and Chairman Steele? You might want to have someone change that gmail account log-in and password.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/2009/10/gop-posts-passwords-admin-inst.html

justinc.1089
10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Lol thats funny

Matt Collins
10-14-2009, 04:23 PM
a “future leaders” section that was devoid of material. That's a fairly accurate description of the situation :p;):D:cool:

HA HA HA HA!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself that was too easy to resist.

justinc.1089
10-14-2009, 09:07 PM
That's a fairly accurate description of the situation :p;):D:cool:

HA HA HA HA!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself that was too easy to resist.

The only future leader of the Republican party is Ron Paul.

justinc.1089
10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
You know whats funny?

We're still dominating the forums over there lol. I figured the admins would have freaked out by now and banned most of us and deleted most of our stuff, but its still there!

Another cool thing too is that the few people on there aside from us generally seem to be listening to what we're telling them too.

KAYA
10-15-2009, 09:30 AM
You know whats funny?

We're still dominating the forums over there lol. I figured the admins would have freaked out by now and banned most of us and deleted most of our stuff, but its still there!

Another cool thing too is that the few people on there aside from us generally seem to be listening to what we're telling them too.

I would attribute this to the huge disconnect between the GOP establishment and the conservative/libertarian voters.

Promontorium
10-15-2009, 04:34 PM
You can create groups. We could create Paul/Schiff for senate groups and the like.

JamesButabi
10-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Why not. Lets all sign up and see if we cant influence some more :)

justinc.1089
10-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I have been posting on there just as much as I have here. I think its important to be a part of that forum so that we can help show people the idea of liberty.

Its amazing seeing what some people think over there. One person thinks Bush saved the economy, another that increasing the department of education improves education and abolishing it would degrade education, another that wars are important (of course that one was coming on there) and so on.

Its one thing to be talking to someone on their own and hear how misguided they are about maybe one of those things, but that forum brings it all together and to me it just looks amazing considering its supposed to be a Republican forum lol. But its not really a surprise I mean I have heard Republican voters tell me all the stuff on there before.

Promontorium
10-15-2009, 05:34 PM
I started a blog called "Reason's Last Stand". I made one post about the new California bullet regulation law.

I've also spent a good two hours trying to figure out how the hell to edit my profile. One person on here said go to "account settings" but I can't even find that!
Edit: ok I finally found it. It's like you have to log in twice to see it? Still working this out. Very confusing site.

JamesButabi
10-15-2009, 05:38 PM
unfortunetely that site is slow as balls and bugged out like crazy.

KAYA
10-16-2009, 11:16 PM
bump

Kludge
10-16-2009, 11:28 PM
"The REPUBLICAN ACTION Network"

Hm.... Picture threads there, yet?

SimpleName
10-16-2009, 11:53 PM
I still can't login there. What junk. I'd really like to add to the liberty aura building there (from us, OF COURSE), but it has been a pain. The GOP can't do anything.