PDA

View Full Version : What does collectivism mean to you?

Deborah K
10-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Seems to me like there is some confusion about what it really means. I'd like to read your responses to this question.

I have had a good deal of success waking people up by explaining the difference to them.

So...what does it mean to you?

Elwar
10-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Putting people into a group as opposed to treating them as individual people with their own thoughts and interests.

KenInMontiMN
10-13-2009, 09:53 AM
It's a hypothetical concept that involves first believing in separation/isolation. I don't.

YumYum
10-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Seems to me like there is some confusion about what it really means. I'd like to read your responses to this question.

I have had a good deal of success waking people up by explaining the difference to them.

So...what does it mean to you?

The Emperor Penguins in the movie “The March of The Penguins” is what collectivism is all about. If they didn’t work together as a species they would all freeze to death. I learned in biology that the single cell matches up with other cells to make a collective. By doing so it has a much better chance of survival. (Individual cells commit suicide to save the other cells) .Humans are too self-centered to work in a collective. This will ultimately mean their extinction.

ClayTrainor
10-13-2009, 09:57 AM
collective essentially means group of individuals.

When discussing rights of man, collectivism is enforced democracy, dictatorship, etc. Your life is subject to the rule of the group or the leader(s) of a group. Individualism represents that each man owns their right to life, by the simple fact that they are alive.

Collectivism is fine, when the group is not forceful in its approach. Enforced Collectivism and government go hand in hand. This is why i believe in self-government, which is also known as individualism. The opinions of the group should not dictate to the life of the individual.

The only moral form of collectivism must be achieved through moral individualism. You cannot have a moral form of collectivism, without first respecting individual rights.

bobbyw24
10-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Putting people into a group as opposed to treating them as individual people with their own thoughts and interests.

Like the modern obsession with "Diversity," which sounds like it wants different ideas but really promotes group identity and tribalism.

ScoutsHonor
10-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Great question, thanks for raising it.

collectivism=group rights take priority over individual rights. (I think :))

jmag
10-13-2009, 10:06 AM
What does collectivism mean to you?

Tendency for ever increasing control (and taxation) under a central power. Opposite of decentralization.

RCA
10-13-2009, 10:12 AM
assigning rights to a fictional "collection" of people

Che
10-13-2009, 10:14 AM
negation of individualism and liberty.

ClayTrainor
10-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Collectivism doesn't really exist, when you think about it. It's just a group of individuals.

Does a forest exist? Can you walk up and touch a forest? No you can just walk up and touch the individual trees :)

The individual exists, but the collective does not, it's just a human concept.

Deborah K
10-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Collectivism doesn't really exist, when you think about it. It's just a group of individuals.

Does a forest exist? Can you walk up and touch a forest? No you can just walk up and touch the individual trees :)

The individual exists, but the collective does not, it's just a human concept.

The concept is what matters. Putting the 'concept' into practise is the problem.

paulitics
10-13-2009, 10:28 AM
I suppose the concept is that the group (collective) is greater than the sum of its parts (individuals).

As someone said, humans are too self centered in order for this to work. Those at the very top know this, but use the concept of collectivism as a means of control. It is much easier to control a collective, than a group of unique individuals with individual rights.

ClayTrainor
10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
The concept is what matters. Putting the 'concept' into practise is the problem.

Very True! That's kind of my point. The only way collectivism can be practiced morally, is through individualism, because the collective is just a group of individuals. The individuals actually exist, you can physically touch them, but you cannot touch a collective group.

Practicing Collectivism can only be moral through voluntary agreements between individuals. :)

Todd
10-13-2009, 10:36 AM
It's control. It's respecting the group over the individual.

Do people have similarities because they form collective groups? Yes. The difference is that the Classic liberal sees those similarities as "culture" and the statist sees them as ways to divide and conquer for himself and his group.
It's J.O Sullivan's first law

Any institution that is not libertarian and classically liberal will, over time, become collectivist and statist. - John O'Sullivan's First Law