PDA

View Full Version : Whites and blacks still as segregated as ever.

BenIsForRon
10-12-2009, 09:31 PM
This is something that concerns me, because the fault lines can be easily exploited by those in power during tough times. Because we don't know each other, and we rarely see each other, we're less likely to trust each other.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1929729,00.html

(Guys, I know that the writer has liberal political leanings. I DON'T CARE. I'm talking about the underlying message of the article. That we're still voluntarily segregating ourselves in 2009.)

torchbearer
10-12-2009, 10:00 PM
That we're still voluntarily segregating ourselves in 2009.)

nothing wrong with voluntary associations.
what would be wrong is the government forcing people to bus their kids to different schools... like um, they do every other year in this freakin' state.

JeNNiF00F00
10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
This is something that concerns me, because the fault lines can be easily exploited by those in power during tough times. Because we don't know each other, and we rarely see each other, we're less likely to trust each other.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1929729,00.html

(Guys, I know that the writer has liberal political leanings. I DON'T CARE. I'm talking about the underlying message of the article. That we're still voluntarily segregating ourselves in 2009.)

I don't care for segregation, but you can't force people to like each other. I dont think its "voluntary" its just natural. You can see school kids doing this. Usually people stay within their own cultures.

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-12-2009, 10:42 PM
lol I have tons of friends whose ancestors come from all sorts of places. Just for clarity, white and black aren't races.

torchbearer
10-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Just for clarity, white and black aren't races.

that is correct. there is only the human race. this is anthropological.

pcosmar
10-12-2009, 10:46 PM
that is correct. there is only the human race. this is anthropoligical.

Ding ding ding!!
for the win.
:cool:

torchbearer
10-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Ding ding ding!!
for the win.
:cool:

mind the misspelled words.

Uriel999
10-12-2009, 11:06 PM
lol I have tons of friends whose ancestors come from all sorts of places. Just for clarity, white and black aren't races.

Thank you! I am no longer a lone voice when I say this! Somebody is going to say your talking politically correct bullshit, but its the truth.

torchbearer
10-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Thank you! I am no longer a lone voice when I say this! Somebody is going to say your talking politically correct bullshit, but its the truth.

it is a scientific truth.

Dr.3D
10-12-2009, 11:21 PM
that is correct. there is only the human race. this is anthropological.

And just for clarity, if there is the human race, then what other races are there?
Perhaps the canine race?
The equine race?

I'm just curious.

SelfTaught
10-12-2009, 11:49 PM

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...929729,00.html

That's faulty thinking. I live in Chicago where a significant percentage of the population is black/latino. Does that mean we trust each other more? I see and interact with black people all the time. Does that mean I trust that I won't get robbed driving through a predominantly black neighborhood? No, the black neighborhoods are slums and everyone in Chicago knows it. My black friends don't even like driving through some parts and they live in black neighborhoods themselves. Nobody wants to live in black neighborhoods, not even most black people. Of course, you might say, "that concerns me, it's segregation." Boohoo, for most people its common sense, at least until black neighborhoods in Chicago become safer and more hospitable places to live.

If there are tensions between racial lines, is the solution to the problem to put those races together so they can, over time, "work it out?" No, thats ridiculous. That's why I have absolutely no problem with voluntary segregation. If they're ready to integrate, they will do so. If not, then leave them be, unless you want to disrupt their lives to achieve something trivial like diversity.