PDA

View Full Version : As if we needed another argument against coal...

Reason
10-11-2009, 12:14 PM
"Coal trucks in Appalachia disregard safety laws: Loaded to 80-100 tons GVW on bridges posted 12 tons. The weight makes them top-heavy and hard to control. This has caused many deaths and serious injuries in KY, WV, PA etc. Family members hold pictures of those killed by coal trucks. Coal trucks are not designed by the manufacturer to run at more than 60 tons, so the brakes are inadequate and the wheels even fall off. KY legislators have failed to recognize the problem."

YouTube - Coal Trucks Gone Wild (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOHXjckSdc)

klamath
10-11-2009, 01:55 PM
"Coal trucks in Appalachia disregard safety laws: Loaded to 80-100 tons GVW on bridges posted 12 tons. The weight makes them top-heavy and hard to control. This has caused many deaths and serious injuries in KY, WV, PA etc. Family members hold pictures of those killed by coal trucks. Coal trucks are not designed by the manufacturer to run at more than 60 tons, so the brakes are inadequate and the wheels even fall off. KY legislators have failed to recognize the problem."

YouTube - Coal Trucks Gone Wild (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOHXjckSdc)

This seems to be pure propaganda. Someone with an agenda to pass more laws. That's right, let's get our energy from the middle east instead of from our own soil.

torchbearer
10-11-2009, 02:07 PM
we have this problem with cane trucks in louisiana.
they overload on weight because each trip to the mill cost money and time.
so, instead of hunting down the productive, they pay a flat tax once a year that goes to repair the roads they destroy.

pcosmar
10-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Trucks often have problems with stupid drivers too. i saw a lot of vehicles that were crushed in work areas.
Park in the wrong place? Maybe.
Trucks move everything in this country, not just coal. I see idiots cutting off trucks on the highway all the time.
This video does seem to have an agenda.

I wish I could get coal delivered ad a good price. It would be a great heating fuel.

james1906
10-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Sounds like laws where criminal negligence come into play. It's not coal's fault people die on the highway, as coal is an inanimate object.

I think the coal companies hold too much sway in these towns and counties, so the gov't looks the other way. Once again, it's corporatism.

james1906
10-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Sounds like laws where criminal negligence come into play. It's not coal's fault people die on the highway, as coal is an inanimate object.

I think the coal companies hold too much sway in these towns and counties, so the gov't looks the other way. Once again, it's corporatism.

youngbuck
10-11-2009, 02:30 PM
How is THAT an argument against coal? :rolleyes:

If you consider that an argument, you may find some of the knee-jerk anti-gun "arguments" useful.

coyote_sprit
10-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Lead is bad because it's in bullets(ignoring lead poisoning).

Civilradiant_palm_pre
10-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I guess the argument would be that most clean alt energy sources wouldn't need trucks like that.

pcosmar
10-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I guess the argument would be that most clean alt energy sources wouldn't need trucks like that.

And you would still have many thousands of trucks on the road. Milk trucks, Logging trucks, Tanker trucks, Rock trucks, Moving trucks and Shipping trucks.

Kind of pointless argument.