PDA

View Full Version : Alan Grayson on Afghanistan

lester1/2jr
10-10-2009, 08:49 AM
first Jim Trafficant, now Alan Grayson. I registered GOP to vote for Ron in the primaries last year but I may have to switch to democrat now. These guys are killin it (at least on FOREIGN policy)

Alan Grayson arguing against escalation (http://bit.ly/JClU5)

I think that the aid program is a fig leaf trying to make Congress and the American people feel better about the war and about killing. I think that diplomacy in the areas of fig leaf to try to make the American people think that there is some constructive alternative to the war when the war itself is destructive and not constructive.

I think that the basic premise that we can alter afghan society is greatly flawed. Afghanistan is simply the part of Asia that was never occupied by the Russians or the English in the Great Game. It’s not a country; it’s not even a place. It’s just an empty place on the map. It’s terra incognita. People who live there are a welter of different tribes, different language groups, different religious beliefs.

All over the country you find different people who have nothing to do with each other except for the fact that we call them Afghans, and they don’t even call themselves Afghans. They’re Tajiks or they’re Pashtuns, or they’re Hazzaras or someone else. The things that hold them together are simply the things that we try to create artificially.

And the idea that we could transform that society or any other society through aid I think is entirely questionable. I’ve never seen it happen; probably never will happen. If you go to the Stan countries north of Afghanistan, and I’ve been to all of them; what you find is that the way that the Russians altered that society was by crushing it. Stalin killed half a million Muslims in Kazakhstan, in Turkmenistan, in Kyrgyzstan, in Uzbekistan.

He simply sliced off the head of that society in order to remake it in the image that he wanted. And I think that we would have to do no less if we wanted to remake Afghanistan in our image. We’d have to destroy it in order to save it, and I don’t think the American people are ever going to do that to anybody. So I think that the underlining premise is simply wrong.

I’ve been to 175 countries all around the world including Afghanistan, including every country in that region, and what I’ve seen everywhere I go is that there are some commonalties everywhere you go. Everywhere you go people want to fall in love. It’s an interesting thing. Everywhere you go, people love children. Everywhere, they love children. Everywhere you go, there’s a taboo against violence. Every single place you go. And everywhere you go, people want to be left alone. And that’s the best foreign policy of all. Just to leave people alone.

YouTube - Rethink Afghanistan: "Congressman Alan Grayson on Afghanistan" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVLJUUgIOv4)

Flash
10-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Alan Grayson is annoying when it comes to Obamacare, Jim Trafficant is a great guy though.

iddo
10-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Very well said, props to Alan Grayson in this regard.

klamath
10-10-2009, 10:18 AM
On this issue I give him great props. Well said!

Dreamofunity
10-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Very well said, I give him props where he is correct. I'd much rather have a raging liberal that's against the Federal Reserve and against the wars but is for healthcare than one that tows the line perfectly in all fields.

torchbearer
10-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Very well said, I give him props where he is correct. I'd much rather have a raging liberal that's against the Federal Reserve and against the wars but is for healthcare than one that tows the line perfectly in all fields.

How does Grayson plan to pay for universal obamacare without a federal reserve printing money?

iddo
10-10-2009, 10:49 AM
How does Grayson plan to pay for universal obamacare without a federal reserve printing money?

At least he can say that pulling out of Afghanistan will save money, like Ron Paul says, and unlike most of the Dems... But see this:
youtube.com/watch?v=OUB3CVZL3AQ#t=2m3s

silverhandorder
10-10-2009, 10:56 AM

By taxing us or w/e other draconian measure people like him come up with.

I don't think that is relevant to his FED stance. At the very least he is honest about his intentions.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Still not sure how Alan Grayson plans on paying for universal healthcare. Maybe hes going to take all the Iraq money and invest it through Europac

Young Paleocon
10-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I think Grayson has an ego complex and would actually like it if Congress took over the printing press. That's the gist I get from him.

amy31416
10-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I obviously can't agree with him on the health care thing, but he's spot-on with his economic and foreign policy. He's better than 99% of the Republicans out there.

roho76
10-10-2009, 01:26 PM

I hate to say it but I would sign on the dotted line for "Free" health care if it meant we could end the central bank and stop the wars and occupations. ;)

*EDIT* Just for the record I would never sign on the dotted line because this is a make believe scenario kinda like this being capitalism.

lester1/2jr
10-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm surprised we, or at least I, hadn't heard of this guy before he starting doing one liners bashing republicans. this is a really thoughtfull statement

paulpwns
10-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Grayson doesn't understand economic policy and the importance of sound money. Besides that, the guy is stupid intelligent, not to mention hilarious to watch. His condescending attitude cracks me up. Honestly I don't expect too much from a Harvard lawyer to begin with.

nobody's_hero
10-10-2009, 05:31 PM
He does suck when it comes to Obamacare, but I love watching him question Federal Reserve minions. He fills the questioning sessions with the vigor that Ron Paul might have if he were younger, but other than that (and now apparently the war), Grayson's no Ron Paul.

Speaking of which, when's the next bloodbath—I mean, Federal Reserve hearing?

rprprs
10-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I intend to use this clip when arguing the futility of our presence in Afghanistan and elsewhere. Grayson, of course, is way off the mark when it comes to health care, but he was wonderfully effective in his vigorous and dynamic grilling of the FED and, in this particular assessment of our foreign policy, he is spot on and very well spoken. I give the devil his due.

ClayTrainor
10-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Love him when he's on our side, but he's a bit of an collective extremist on some of his positions, imo.

Imperial
10-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Grayson doesn't understand economic policy and the importance of sound money. Besides that, the guy is stupid intelligent, not to mention hilarious to watch. His condescending attitude cracks me up. Honestly I don't expect too much from a Harvard lawyer to begin with.

He invests with Europac and I remember his campaign site talking alot about sound money- in those words.

I think he just decided the cost of a welfare state is worth the short-term benefit- that is, a type of cost-benefit situation.

Endgame
10-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I think Grayson is an absolute snake. He's with us on the Fed, for now. Don't forget that he voted for cap and tax.