PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilders

katao
10-01-2007, 01:58 AM
All the discussion about RP's stance about "Ending the Drug War" got me thinking about one group of people that are severely criminalized by their use of drugs - bodybuilders.

Just think about it - a woman in her 50's can get a legal prescription to restore her female hormones to their normal level, but a 50 year old man with the same decrease in male hormones will get hard core prison time for trying to fix the problem.

Now I am not arguing that it is a smart thing to do for young athletes to be using steroids, just that the War on Drugs is stupid. Let the NFL, NCAA, High School sports leagues, etc. regulate athletes all they want. But get the federal government out of it!

This is a HUGE issue to bodybuilders (both professional and hobbiests) who routinely risk felony charges every month. They will be VERY receptive to Ron Paul's message! So go to the gym and spread the word!

ctb619
10-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Just think about it - a woman in her 50's can get a legal prescription to restore her female hormones to their normal level, but a 50 year old man with the same decrease in male hormones will get hard core prison time for trying to fix the problem.!

hormone therapy is available to both men and women under the supervision of a doctor

katao
10-01-2007, 02:13 AM
hormone therapy is available to both men and women under the supervision of a doctor

Try going to your physician and asking for Testosterone therapy! His eyeballs will fall out of their sockets as he stutters relentlessly about this reason and that reason to not fill your prescription. Even if he does finally grant you one, it will be so weak a prescription of some cream as to be nearly useless. The Feds have scared the living crap out of doctor's to prevent them from doing what they think is best.

ctb619
10-01-2007, 02:16 AM
There are all kinds of doctors in my area what will be happy to put you on an HGH regimen. It's not cheap, but it is perfectly legal.

katao
10-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Lord Xar sent me this message which cracked me up:

Ron Paul is HUGE!!!! Over at ---

bodybuilding.com

In the forums... misc - politics/religion

You'd be surprised, alot of those dudes are well-read and know their shit..

There is actually a "Ron Paul support thread" ---- hahaha..

Its a great site.. check it out..

RTsquared
10-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm not 50, I am male, and I have been on testosterone therapy without any problems.

Granted, my doctor wanted me to use the creams or the patches instead of getting shots regularly (which would have been cheaper as well as more effective IMHO), but all she needed to see was a blood test showing low testosterone in order to start the therapy.

LBT
10-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I've little doubt that thousands die prematurely every year due to the performance enhancing drug scare phenomenon.

It has stopped a great deal of valuable research into the use of steroids and other hypertrophic drugs (which encourage the growth of muscle tissue) from being used to treat a range of diseases and from being used during recovery from accidents and surgery.

Not to mention that doctors are terrified to try any of this drugs as part of a treatment program.

katao
10-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm not 50, I am male, and I have been on testosterone therapy without any problems.

Granted, my doctor wanted me to use the creams or the patches instead of getting shots regularly (which would have been cheaper as well as more effective IMHO), but all she needed to see was a blood test showing low testosterone in order to start the therapy.

That's good to hear - I've had such the opposite experience.

In any case, gym rats are very receptive and are worth the time to spread the message with.

katao
10-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I've little doubt that thousands die prematurely every year due to the performance enhancing drug scare phenomenon.

It has stopped a great deal of valuable research into the use of steroids and other hypertrophic drugs (which encourage the growth of muscle tissue) from being used to treat a range of diseases and from being used during recovery from accidents and surgery.

Not to mention that doctors are terrified to try any of this drugs as part of a treatment program.

Absolutely. I've seen some beginning research that shows treatment of obesity that includes some forms of steroids FAR exceeds the effectiveness of any other treatment program (due to the preservation of muscle with the weight loss). And with such high rates of mortality among the obese, the War on Drugs is literally killing these folks.

Ozwest
10-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Everyones free to do what they want with their own bodies. I probably drink and smoke too much, but I exercise and pump iron. To each his own... Steroid use is a personal decision, but steroid users should compete with each other, and "clean athletes" should compete with each other. Why should an Olympic World record be broken because of steroid use when others have achieved these records on their own merits?

Ninja Homer
10-01-2007, 10:46 AM
It's not just steroids. There are lots of supplements that bodybuilders want access to that the FDA (with help from big pharmaceutical) wants to restrict. Natural supplements are in, and pharmaceutical companies don't like competition.

micahnelson
10-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Ok.. Time to revise the quote.

One Man with Courage and the ability to bench 280 is a majority.

noxagol
10-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Everyones free to do what they want with their own bodies. I probably drink and smoke too much, but I exercise and pump iron. To each his own... Steroid use is a personal decision, but steroid users should compete with each other, and "clean athletes" should compete with each other. Why should an Olympic World record be broken because of steroid use when others have achieved these records on their own merits?

The Olympics can make and enforce their own regulations. If they want to ban steroid use from their competitors, they can do that. We are talking about its legal status.

Kregener
10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Um....I have 2 friends who are getting Testosterone Therapy...from...a....doctor.

Bodybuilders have "issues" and are no different than Bulimics, Anorexics or those that cut themselves.

Santana28
10-01-2007, 11:10 AM
well... i guess this explains why Kane and Val Venis support Ron Paul ;)