PDA

View Full Version : Was hit by a *drunk driver tonight during Ron Paul event, could use advice

MadEmperor
10-01-2007, 01:28 AM
Our local meetup groups were hanging RP signs tonight, about 300+. We were at our first stop of the night when we pulled off to the very right side of the road to prep some signs. I had my door open to turn the dome light on.

A guy comes around the corner and goes past the double yellow lines, and then another five or so feet and slams into us.My door was open to get the dome light on, so I was ejected from the car and dragged about 20ft. The man did NOT brake or swerve, our dome light was on and the street clearly lite.

The first thing the guy says after he hits us was "do you guys have any beer or cigarette's? The guy never asked us if we were okay.

Thirty minutes later the cops show up. The officer said the guy smelled like beer, and admitted to having at least one beer. However, he passed 2 field sobriety tests so nothing could be done (no breathalysers ect)

He also lied to the police and said we ran into him, the officer then said
"are you sure you want to lie to a police officer?"
He puts in the report that the man was clearly at fault, but nothing about being under the influence.

My mother picks me up (both cars tottaled) and takes me and my girlfriend to the hospital. My gf was pretty much okay. I have a pretty messed up foot (but nothing broken), upper back and neck hurts like hell (nothing "broken", and I had some trace amounts of blood in my urine (liver was hurt from being dragged)

I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to try to see a physical therapist or chiropractor hopefully. My gf is doing the same.

------
CLIFFS: - Drunk guy hits us in a parked car and pretty much gets away with it. I could use some advice, and the name of a good lawyer.

ctb619
10-01-2007, 01:30 AM
Looks like you'll be ok if the police officer said the other guy was at fault....he was insured right?

austin356
10-01-2007, 01:31 AM
ugh hit while pauliteering?

Well that has also happened to me. I was making a yardsign delivery (several thousand) in my suburban and it got hit by some college girl.

ghemminger
10-01-2007, 01:32 AM
OMG - I hope you are ok - See your Doctor tommorrow and call your attorney

mrchubbs
10-01-2007, 01:32 AM
For a lawyer suggestion...

Where are you located? What state?

V-rod
10-01-2007, 01:33 AM
Ow, hope you feel better. I also hope whatever legal action you take will get his insurance canceled.

MadEmperor
10-01-2007, 01:33 AM
For a lawyer suggestion...

Where are you located? What state?

NY, and he had all-state insurance.

Chester Copperpot
10-01-2007, 01:34 AM
man am I pissed.. That sucks

V4Vendetta
DUDE

More than likely that was FEDS or some Rudy supporter trying to take yall out.

be more cautious next time. NEVER let your guard down!

Its only going to get worse as more time goes by

SeanEdwards
My advice:

Throw a survivors party.

ronpaulhawaii
10-01-2007, 01:35 AM
wow, sorry to hear this. Glad th GF is alright, must be shaken and PO'd. Def go to doc, maybe ask doc for name of lawyer. I hope it all turns out decently.

Be careful out there everyone, this could have been a lot worse

ctb619
DUDE

please tell me you're kidding

Ron Paul Fan
I would sue for everything he's got. See a doctor, preferably Dr. Paul, and ask him to be your leading wittness. I think you've got a good case here. Also, tell your girlfriend to also sue. That'll teach him a lesson he'll never forget.

V4Vendetta
10-01-2007, 01:36 AM
please tell me you're kidding

No, I'm not

MadEmperor
10-01-2007, 01:38 AM
DUDE

lol, I made that same EXACT joke. I run a decent sized RP Meetup, and the other passenger runs a big Ron Paul Meetup, good target vehicle lol.

ctb619
10-01-2007, 01:38 AM
No, I'm not

You think it's "more than likely" that federal government operatives or Giuliani supporters were responsible for the collision?

austin356
10-01-2007, 01:42 AM
You think it's "more than likely" that federal government operatives or Giuliani supporters were responsible for the collision?

no. Federal supporters are smart enough to not drink while driving.

LibertyEagle
10-01-2007, 01:43 AM
DUDE

This is more than jumping to conclusions.

LibertyEagle
10-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Actually, I would call your doctor and ask for a referral. The reason I say this, is one, you want to have an audit trail of your injuries and two, you may want to try traditional approaches at least until you talk to an attorney. I don't know where you live, but in a lot of states, chiropractors are viewed somewhat as quacks and that is important if you end up needing to sue this person. Plus, your doctor will be able to give you some good muscle relaxants which might just help the bones to go back in the right place by themselves.

If you do decide to go the chiropractor route, do some checking around first. Not all of them are good with neck adjustment, even if they say they are. You don't want them to screw up your neck worse than it is right now.

Do get a good lawyer, from a reputable firm. ie. not an ambulance chaser.

ClockwiseSpark
10-01-2007, 01:50 AM
This is more than jumping to conclusions.

Is it normal in NY to not give a guy a breathalizer if he says "I just had one.", and just happened to hit someone? Seems pretty crazy to me.

LibertyOfOne
10-01-2007, 01:51 AM
Chiropractors are quacks. They are on par with the homeopathy cranks.

devil21
10-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Eh no one would be driving that badly, hit something, then pass field sobriety tests. I would be suspicious too....

ctb619
10-01-2007, 01:57 AM
I'm all for being suspicious if the circumstances warrant it, but to immediately conclude that the perpetrator is a government operative or a Giuliani political hack is a little too much.

MadEmperor
10-01-2007, 01:58 AM

really, lol (those homeopathy guys are scam artists)

What about physical therapy?

LizF
10-01-2007, 02:00 AM
Our local meetup groups were hanging RP signs tonight, about 300+. We were at our first stop of the night when we pulled off to the very right side of the road to prep some signs. I had my door open to turn the dome light on.

A guy comes around the corner and goes past the double yellow lines, and then another five or so feet and slams into us.My door was open to get the dome light on, so I was ejected from the car and dragged about 20ft. The man did NOT brake or swerve, our dome light was on and the street clearly lite.

The first thing the guy says after he hits us was "do you guys have any beer or cigarette's? The guy never asked us if we were okay.

Thirty minutes later the cops show up. The officer said the guy smelled like beer, and admitted to having at least one beer. However, he passed 2 field sobriety tests so nothing could be done (no breathalysers ect)

He also lied to the police and said we ran into him, the officer then said
"are you sure you want to lie to a police officer?"
He puts in the report that the man was clearly at fault, but nothing about being under the influence.

My mother picks me up (both cars tottaled) and takes me and my girlfriend to the hospital. My gf was pretty much okay. I have a pretty messed up foot (but nothing broken), upper back and neck hurts like hell (nothing "broken", and I had some trace amounts of blood in my urine (liver was hurt from being dragged)

I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to try to see a physical therapist or chiropractor hopefully. My gf is doing the same.

------
CLIFFS: - Drunk guy hits us in a parked car and pretty much gets away with it. I could use some advice, and the name of a good lawyer.

:eek: Yikes! I'm so sorry that happened to you MadEmperor. I hope you find a good doctor and lawyer, and that you recover as quickly as possible .

Why did it take the cops 30 minutes to get to you? I don't know where you're located, but that seems too long for them to get to the scene.

LibertyEagle
10-01-2007, 02:00 AM

Like with most things, some are good and some are not.

ClockwiseSpark
10-01-2007, 02:01 AM
I didn't intend to continue that line of thought, just hit the wrong button :P
Still the more I think about it, any cop who would let that guy go without a breath test is incompetent or worse.
1: He smelled of alcohol
2: He was in a traffic accident
However, I have no idea what the laws are like in NY

McDermit
10-01-2007, 02:05 AM
I would have called a lawyer on the spot and made damn sure that fool went in for a blood alcohol test.

TheIndependent
10-01-2007, 02:08 AM
DUDE

Please tell me you're kidding. This is fucking delusional. Seriously. Just because politically we face an uphill fight, it doesn't mean we should don tinfoil hats and believe everyone's out to get us. Shit happens. Not everything is a conspiracy.

And, MadEmperor, I'm glad you're here to tell the story. Thanks for letting us know you're alright, and be sure to rest until you can get back into the fold with a full and rejuvenated constitution! ;)

ronpaulhawaii
10-01-2007, 02:08 AM

Pretty much a blanket statement, I know a chiroprator that is not a quack, he is also a message therapist, a physical therapist, a homeopathy practicioner, (and a hell of a good camera operator.) I tweaked my back on a show once and he certainly helped me, right there on the spot. The guy does so much for the community it would put most people to shame.

There are quacks in all forms of medical therepy and I think the pill pushers are the worst

And doesn't RP recognize a value in alt medicine?

SpicyItalian739
10-01-2007, 02:09 AM
If he had All-State Insurance, you should call a lawyer IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!

All-State is the absolute worst there is, any lawyer will tell you that. I was rear ended in august of 2004 and was off work for like 2 months and in physical therapy for those 2 months - and I still have some aches and pains to this day!

I haven't seen a DIME from All-State yet, they refuse to settle, even though I was rear-ended!!!!! We're talking over 3 years later and they put off even being in court until March of next year, when all is said and done it could be 4-5 years from the accident until they pay up.

They initially called me the day after my accident and told me not to get a lawyer because they pay out the same amount whether I seek counsel or not - that was my cue to call an attorney! True and utter bullshit artists. They also tried to make an initial offer to my lawyer that didn't even add up to my car damage + medical care... let alone my time off work, and that's not even getting into the fact that most people deserve some pain and suffering compensation too... being in pain on the couch for months hopped up on medicine is NOT my idea of fun, being in my early 20s at the time of the accident. (I'm 26 now).

Sounds like you got it way worse than me in your accident though, and I wish you and your gf the best! Please, don't hesitate to call the best attorney in your area and don't so much as talk to those bastards at All-State... Trust me as soon as your attorney realizes that the guy had All-State, he is going to tell you that they are the worst company and that they will do everything in their power so that you never see a nickel of what you deserve.

Ready2Revolt
10-01-2007, 02:11 AM
I didn't intend to continue that line of thought, just hit the wrong button :P
Still the more I think about it, any cop who would let that guy go without a breath test is incompetent or worse.
1: He smelled of alcohol
2: He was in a traffic accident
However, I have no idea what the laws are like in NY

AFAIK NYC has some of the tought DD laws I have ever seen. The have check points and if you are caught drunk driving they seize your car.

SeanEdwards
10-01-2007, 04:22 AM
I'm all for being suspicious if the circumstances warrant it, but to immediately conclude that the perpetrator is a government operative or a Giuliani political hack is a little too much.

Cheney did it
with a globalhawk
in the undisclosed location

Ozwest
10-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Make sure the person who represents you, has as his first name, Nunzio.

klamath
10-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Both of you get better. That is an order:D

Mr. White
10-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Get a lawyer.
Doesn't matter if the guy was intoxicated or not. Negligent driving is negligent driving. Intoxicated would just make your case a little easier. Get a lawyer, and go after the guy. Hard.

This is not legal advice, nor am I qualified to give legal advice.

nexalacer
10-01-2007, 07:48 AM

You're why I like health care freedom. There are many variations of chiropractic practice and homeopathy uses natural substances to attempt to cure simple problems... just like generations of people did before chemical medicine. Choice is better than pharmaceutical corporations.

DrNoZone
10-01-2007, 07:49 AM
I would sue for everything he's got. See a doctor, preferably Dr. Paul, and ask him to be your leading wittness. I think you've got a good case here. Also, tell your girlfriend to also sue. That'll teach him a lesson he'll never forget.

Sue him for everything he's got? Why, just to be vindictive? I thought RP supporters were more balanced in their justice than this.

I'm very sorry to hear this happened. I was out the other night with my wife hanging signs and it could have happened to us. Don't take the guy for all he's got, which probably isn't much anyhow, just do what you can to get him to pay for your troubles.

nexalacer
10-01-2007, 07:50 AM
DUDE

This is bullshit cause if it was the FEDS, you'd be dead.

OURPLAN
10-01-2007, 07:55 AM
I truly hope you recover from all the trauma.

LibertyEagle
10-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Be sure and save all your paperwork from every medical person you see. This is very important.

I also agree with Hamadeh's suggestion about you going to get a massage and maybe go sit in a hot tub for awhile.

trispear
10-01-2007, 08:07 AM
MadEmperor,

GET A LAWYER. Protect your rights.

Even if you are okay, the other guy can pursue charges against you (try to make you at fault) to collect from your insurance. In many cases, the insurance would rather pay than fight, even in ridiculous circumstances such as this, and you are left with higher premiums for years because of it.

Do not take legal advice from forums. Just get a lawyer.

Pauliana
10-01-2007, 08:11 AM
John Edwards is an excellent attorney. I'm surprised he didn't follow you to the hospital.

trispear
10-01-2007, 08:14 AM
I also don't get the bullshit that the cop couldn't take a breathalyzer test. If ANYTHING is probable cause, it is getting into an accident.

Field Sobriety tests are nonsense. I was pulled over once, and passed the field sobriety test and they still gave me a breathalyzer (I almost never drink and certainly not that day).

That regulation must be thought out by idiots.

CurtisLow
10-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Maybe the guy was not drunk? But maybe he was high on hard drugs?

Hope you get to feeling better.... Car accidents suk.

hopeforamerica
10-01-2007, 08:51 AM

WTF?!!!! Have you ever been to one? Mine has saved my life. I have degenerative disc disease and could not walk. The doc gave me drugs, great now I can sleep my life away. My chiropractor helped me get back to playing volleyball and hiking again.

mconder
10-01-2007, 09:00 AM
It's the same people who pulled of 911, just screwing with us.

mdh
10-01-2007, 09:00 AM

Good lawyer is really all you need. Take everything he owns in a lawsuit, find the most ruthless lawyer in town (and if you know anyone in the judicial community, ask around there - judges know which lawyers are "friends", and if you know judges, they will give you the best names).

trispear
10-01-2007, 09:10 AM
WTF?!!!! Have you ever been to one? Mine has saved my life. I have degenerative disc disease and could not walk. The doc gave me drugs, great now I can sleep my life away. My chiropractor helped me get back to playing volleyball and hiking again.

My mother has been to one and it didn't do her any good.

There really isn't any studied scientific basis for what chiropracters do and some are complete quacks and most of the others do what seems to work.

That isn't to say that some don't help their patients feel better, but rather that they can be awfully hit-or-miss and even they don't understand the results they get. The spine is still a very little understood thing.

I used to have terrible back pain but since I use an inversion table, it has been gone. It's the same way - hit or miss - inversion tables haven't been shown scientifically reliable....

(But sometimes you have to find what works for you).

Ninja Homer
10-01-2007, 09:14 AM
In some places, a driver is automatically at fault in an accident if they have been drinking even if they are under the legal limit. I don't agree with that, but it goes to show that how this turns out may have a lot to do with the laws where you're at.

As said previously, get a good lawyer.

mikelovesgod
10-01-2007, 09:42 AM
You should have ordered his arrest for hitting you and then trying to evade the accident and filed an order of arrest with the officer. Then you should file a complaint against the police officer for not giving him a breathalizer when you have 2 people (you and your gf) witness the fact he was drunk.

Most of this can be a complaint and a potential liability to the police station for not investigating properly.

happyphilter
10-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Um, just call a lawyer and make sure you get the police report. Its the Lawyers job to handel everything else so dont worry too much about it.

DocGrimes
10-01-2007, 09:49 AM
MadEmperor, I hope that you all are doing well and heal up nicely. Sounds like you got beat around pretty good so I strongly encourage you to do as you indicated in your original post. Get to a chiropractor (or similar practicing person) to deal with the structural as well as pain aspects of your injury so that as you heal you can do so as completely as possible while minimizing the problem of degenerative changes in the future.

Now, I gotta have some well intentioned fun.

I don't know where you live, but in a lot of states, chiropractors are viewed somewhat as quacks and that is important if you end up needing to sue this person. Plus, your doctor will be able to give you some good muscle relaxants which might just help the bones to go back in the right place by themselves.

If you do decide to go the chiropractor route, do some checking around first. Not all of them are good with neck adjustment, even if they say they are. You don't want them to screw up your neck worse than it is right now.

Chiropractors are quacks. They are on par with the homeopathy cranks. :D

LOL, sorry that is just ridiculously funny to me, but then I'm biased.

I especially had to laugh at the part about getting 'some good muscle relaxants'. I suppose I could give some good scientifically based reasons why those relaxants often are not good but that would just be quackery hehe.

Actually the quackery label pretty has pretty much been eroded away by a record of good conservative care. But lets remember that much of the perception of quackery was fostered by the AMA falsely(See Wilks vs AMA). As LibertyEagle pointed out in an earlier post there are flakes out there but that is true of DC, MD, DO, or any profession. Isn't it great that Free Market principles can weed out the bad.

And doesn't RP recognize a value in alt medicine?

Yep, pretty sure Ron is in favor of good ole fashioned competition and freedom to choose the manor of ones care.

Ninja Homer
10-01-2007, 09:51 AM

That's just ignorant.

The brain controls the body's healing process. It senses what needs healing from nerves that run through the spinal column and then out between the spinal bones to the different parts of the body. If the spinal bones are out of alignment, then it pinches off those nerves and the brain doesn't get the signal that it needs to heal that part of the body.

If a proper chiropractic adjustment doesn't fix the problem, then there's something else going on. Painkillers can mask the symptoms, blocking that same signal the brain needs to start the healing process. You have to be getting the proper nutrients into the body. Ingesting the right nutrients isn't enough, they also need to be digested and transported to the right locations properly (most people in the US have really screwed up digestive systems). Also if there is something else going on like having problems with a vital organ, that will take priority for being healed over, say, a pain in your wrist.

There may not be a lot of scientific evidence for chiropractic, but there's plenty of empirical evidence. When it comes to healing the body, empirical evidence is a lot more important.

I haven't researched homeopathy much, but it is the same idea as making an antidote for a snake or spider bite from that snake or spider's venom.

I'd trust chiropractic or homeopathy over modern medicine. Modern medicine is now the #1 cause of death in the US. (http://www.advancedhealthplan.com/leadingcauseofdeath.html) Modern medicine doesn't heal, it just masks the symptoms.

The only thing I'd go to an allopathic doctor for is emergency situations where you'd need surgery immediately. I'm not a doctor, but after being screwed over by them I decided to research it for myself and take my health into my own hands. I'd recommend everybody do the same.

ceakins
10-01-2007, 11:16 AM

Not my experience but to each they're own. I've had back problems that only went away when I saw a chiropractor verses an MD that just fed me pills. Osteopaths also manipulate the back like a chiropractor but are the equivelent of MD's.

Both DOs and MDs are physicians. They are both licensed by state and specialty boards to perform surgery and write prescriptions. Applicants to both DO and MD colleges typically have a 4-year undergraduate degree with an emphasis on science courses, and both complete 4 years of basic medical education. In fact, both DOs and MDs:

* can choose to practice in a specialty area of medicine, such as surgery or obstetrics
* complete a residency program, which typically takes 2 to 6 years of additional training
* must pass comparable state licensing examinations
* are equal in the eyes of the law
* practice in fully accredited hospitals and medical centers
* can order medical tests and procedures
* must maintain a prescribed level of continuing education units (CEUs) to remain certified

Currently, there are more than 41,000 osteopathic physicians in practice in the United States. That's approximately 5% of the total number of physicians. Because osteopathic schools emphasize primary care training, more than half of all DOs practice in areas such as pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, and internal medicine. Each year, 100 million patient visits are made to DOs.

Ron Paul Fan
10-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Sue him for everything he's got? Why, just to be vindictive? I thought RP supporters were more balanced in their justice than this.

I'm very sorry to hear this happened. I was out the other night with my wife hanging signs and it could have happened to us. Don't take the guy for all he's got, which probably isn't much anyhow, just do what you can to get him to pay for your troubles.

Sure I would. He almost killed the man!!!!!!! And his girlfriend!!!!!! You wouldn't want a little justice? This guy is not going to change unless he's taught a lesson. Mad Emporer, hire a very good lawyer and squeeze every last penny from this attempted murderer. That's what America is all about.

slantedview
10-01-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm really sorry this happened and I hope you guys turn out to be OK.

I don't have much advice, except, don't let this guy get away with this... don't let him or this event screw you.

JMann
10-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Call an attorney and don't pull over on the side of the road again unless it is an emergency. Clearly, IF the guy was drinking he was very irresponsible but pulling of on the side of the road is a very dangerous thing to do and only should be done in the event of car trouble of some other medical emergency. Sounds to me like the other guy is to blame (from your side of the story) but you need to take some responsibility for being careless in your own right.

MadEmperor
10-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Call an attorney and don't pull over on the side of the road again unless it is an emergency. Clearly, IF the guy was drinking he was very irresponsible but pulling of on the side of the road is a very dangerous thing to do and only should be done in the event of car trouble of some other medical emergency. Sounds to me like the other guy is to blame (from your side of the story) but you need to take some responsibility for being careless in your own right.

It was a legal parking space, the road was 3 lanes wide to accommodate the parking lane.

Oh, and it's NOT MY SIDE...
It's the Police and witnesses side of the story

You come off as a apathetic liberal =(

fluoridatedbrainsoup
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Thank God the two of you are still alive. I've forum trawled enough to encounter plenty of forum members that have since posting deceased. It's a fad sact of life that, while the words remain in cache, we do not. Living memorials on the Internet, glad you're not one of them.
Get better, and realize that that man gave you whiplash, entitling you to all the care and money that force of law can provide.

winston84
10-01-2007, 01:06 PM
That sucks, get well soon

LibertyEagle
10-01-2007, 01:29 PM
I especially had to laugh at the part about getting 'some good muscle relaxants'. I suppose I could give some good scientifically based reasons why those relaxants often are not good but that would just be quackery hehe.

Well Doc, I'm glad to have provided some humor for you today. Nowhere did I recommend that he stay on muscle relaxants for a long period of time. Did I? No. But actually after a car wreck, your muscles are pretty much tied up in knots, so from personal experience, I found that taking a couple for a day or two and spending some time in a hot tub, went a long way towards relaxing those muscles. And yes, some things slipped back in place and some things didn't.

Personally, I find that preferable to what most MDs tell you to do. Which is for them to refer you to a pain clinic where they will recommend not only major muscle relaxants for FOREVER, but also time-release morphine and other assorted goodies.

To each their own.

fletcher
10-01-2007, 02:30 PM
I hope you all alright. But why are you calling him drunk? Are you a member of MADD? You do realize that it is legal to have a few drinks and drive, right? He passed the field sobriety test so I wouldn't call him drunk.

Ozwest
10-01-2007, 02:45 PM
If this guy was a big drinker, he may well have been over the legal limit, but able to pass the field sobriety test with ease. How many of you know people who can consume vast amounts, yet appear sober?

fletcher
10-01-2007, 02:56 PM
If this guy was a big drinker, he may well have been over the legal limit, but able to pass the field sobriety test with ease. How many of you know people who can consume vast amounts, yet appear sober?

Now you're just making assumptions. Since when does admitting you had at least one beer and passing a sobriety test make you a drunk that can appear sober? Guilty until proven innocent twice!? If he can walk in a straight line he can drive in a straight line.

McDermit
10-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Now you're just making assumptions. Since when does admitting you had at least one beer and passing a sobriety test make you a drunk that can appear sober? Guilty until proven innocent twice!? If he can walk in a straight line he can drive in a straight line.

You're making some assumptions of your own.

Whether he passed the field test or not - smelling like alcohol, having admitted to drinking, AND being involved in an accident where he was clearly at fault is more than enough to warrant a blood alc test. Dude should have been given an on site breathalizer at the very least. A complaint should be filed with the police dept since one wasn't done... and in any event, OP should get a lawyer ASAP.

Ozwest
10-01-2007, 03:05 PM

I know many people (including myself) who can pass a field sobriety test easily and have a blood alcohol reading over the limit. My statement was conjecture. I didn't realize we were in a court of law Perry Mason.

fletcher
10-01-2007, 03:32 PM
You're making some assumptions of your own.

Whether he passed the field test or not - smelling like alcohol, having admitted to drinking, AND being involved in an accident where he was clearly at fault is more than enough to warrant a blood alc test. Dude should have been given an on site breathalizer at the very least. A complaint should be filed with the police dept since one wasn't done... and in any event, OP should get a lawyer ASAP.

I'm not making assumptions. I'm looking at the facts. The guy passed a field sobriety test. Maybe the police should have given him a breathalyser test, but just because he didn't get one does not mean that he was drunk. There is nothing to suggest that he was drunk. All we know is that he had at least one beer and was sober enough to pass a field sobriety test.

fletcher
10-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I know many people (including myself) who can pass a field sobriety test easily and have a blood alcohol reading over the limit. My statement was conjecture. I didn't realize we were in a court of law Perry Mason.

You're confusing drunkenness with an arbitrary number set by the state. This number has been lowered because of neo-prohibition lobbyists. Regardless, what you and people you know can do has nothing to with this person.

Ozwest
10-01-2007, 03:43 PM
You're confusing drunkenness with an arbitrary number set by the state. This number has been lowered because of neo-prohibition lobbyists. Regardless, what you and people you know can do has nothing to with this person.
All foam, no beer.

McDermit
10-01-2007, 03:46 PM
How many sober people get out of their car after slamming into someone and ask the people he hit whether they have any beer? Come on. If not drunk, he was either on something or has mental problems.

But none of us were there, and the cop dropped the ball, so to continuing arguing about whether dude was drunk is beyond pointless.

DocGrimes
10-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Well Doc, I'm glad to have provided some humor for you today. Nowhere did I recommend that he stay on muscle relaxants for a long period of time. Did I? No. But actually after a car wreck, your muscles are pretty much tied up in knots, so from personal experience, I found that taking a couple for a day or two and spending some time in a hot tub, went a long way towards relaxing those muscles. And yes, some things slipped back in place and some things didn't.

Personally, I find that preferable to what most MDs tell you to do. Which is for them to refer you to a pain clinic where they will recommend not only major muscle relaxants for FOREVER, but also time-release morphine and other assorted goodies.

To each their own.

:D This all seems reasonable to me. I do appreciate the laugh though, it was mostly the imagery of someone going to the doctor for 'some of the good stuff' hehe. Not a knock on you as I do not think you meant it that way.

But the other side of that is along the pain management line of things you mentioned. I've seen more than a few people in the office on muscle relaxers where they are causing way more harm than they are doing good.

Certainly there is a time and place for them though... like in the hot tub :) (so long as you can pull yourself out hehe)

fletcher
10-01-2007, 04:13 PM
How many sober people get out of their car after slamming into someone and ask the people he hit whether they have any beer? Come on. If not drunk, he was either on something or has mental problems.

But none of us were there, and the cop dropped the ball, so to continuing arguing about whether dude was drunk is beyond pointless.

Now you're trying to tell if someone is drunk by a question they asked?:rolleyes:

Ozwest
10-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Now you're trying to tell if someone is drunk by a question they asked?:rolleyes:

Are you always this irritating?

fletcher
10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Are you always this irritating?

I guess, if you think standing up to people accusing someone of a crime with no proof is irritating. Do you always convict people of illegal activities based on unrelated anecdotes?

DrNoZone
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
This thread has become EXTREMELY lame. Couldn't we be out supporting RP instead of harping on one another on a forum?

Ozwest
10-01-2007, 04:41 PM
I guess, if you think standing up to people accusing someone of a crime with no proof is irritating. Do you always convict people of illegal activities based on unrelated anecdotes?

That would be........... YES Adios.

SewrRatt
10-01-2007, 04:49 PM

I agree with Fletcher, how dare you racist motherfuckers slander the good name of this great American just because he collided catastrophically with a parked car and dragged an innocent occupant of said legally parked car 20 feet down the road and then tried to bum cigarettes and/or beer off of him and admitted he'd been drinking? He sounds like an upstanding chap to me. I would have done all the exact same things as him were I in his shoes.

Ron Paul Fan
10-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I agree SewrRatt. Fletcher, whether he was drunk or not is a discussion that historians can have. But he crashed into Mr. Emperor. He bought it because he broke it. He has a responsibility to the honor of this country and to the honor of every man and woman that has ever been hit by a drunk driver to not let this guy leave with anything less than the honor that they deserve. We are one nation. We can't be divided. If we make a mistake, we make it as one country and that's probably why the cop let him go. Even if we lose a few bucks because he wasn't technically drunk, we cannot lose our honor. Sue the bastard for everything he's got Mr. Emperor! If you lose because he passed the breathalyzer, at least you'll still have your honor!

dircha
10-01-2007, 06:28 PM

Or better, just go to a certified physical therapist. There's nothing a chiropractor can do that a physical therapist can not.

dircha
10-01-2007, 06:38 PM

Just because it isn't enough to get him criminally convicted doesn't mean it isn't enough to contribute to his liability in a civil court.

The intent of those laws is not that someone with a BAC .01 under the legal limit can drive completely unimpaired while someone .01 higher is impaired. The intent of the law is that when they are .01 higher, we say they are SO impaired that under no circumstances can we even allow them to operate a vehicle.

From continuing to drive after hitting the car door, breaking it off, and dragging the victim, without immediately stopping, and given his reaction when he realized what had happened, a reasonable person would conclude that he was impaired in some way.

nunaem
10-01-2007, 06:53 PM
The first thing the guy says after he hits us was "do you guys have any beer or cigarette's?

Sadly, this incident will never be turned into an anti-drug TV commercial because only legal state-approved drugs were motivating factors. But those pot-heads-running-over-girls-at-drive-thrus commercials get big government bucks.

Thurston Howell III
10-01-2007, 07:12 PM
It figured it was gonna be Ted Kennedy until he asked for beer and cigs, .... so it's a Neo-CON!

DrNoZone
10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Can we close this thread yet?

LibertyEagle
10-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Or better, just go to a certified physical therapist. There's nothing a chiropractor can do that a physical therapist can not.

Well, I beg to differ. Although there's probably less of a downside to going to a physical therapist. I say that, because IMO there are very few chiropractors that really know how to adjust your neck and if they do it wrong, they can screw you up big time. Trust me. I know.

Ninja Homer
10-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, I beg to differ. Although there's probably less of a downside to going to a physical therapist. I say that, because IMO there are very few chiropractors that really know how to adjust your neck and if they do it wrong, they can screw you up big time. Trust me. I know.

For really screwed up spinal columns, like after an accident, I'd agree that you need a good chiropractor.

For basic maintenance adjustments it's actually really easy. I do it on my family regularly, and this is where I learned it:
http://www.home-chiropractic.com/

I think chiropractors got a bad reputation as "quacks" from a few dishonest ones that tell people they'll need to come back for adjustments every month for a couple years (or worse yet, ongoing forever). 2 or 3 adjustments from a good chiropractor should be all that's needed after an accident.

DocGrimes
10-02-2007, 08:27 AM
I think chiropractors got a bad reputation as "quacks" from a few dishonest ones that tell people they'll need to come back for adjustments every month for a couple years (or worse yet, ongoing forever). 2 or 3 adjustments from a good chiropractor should be all that's needed after an accident.

Most of the chiropractors reputation as quacks came from dishonest business practices by the AMA (see Wilks vs AMA). Though there certainly is many 'flavors' of chiropractic or at least things being called chiropractic, some seems quite odd seeming. And I say that as a chiropractor myself. But I guess that is why it is good for folks to have freedom to choose their care.

As for things like monthly visits, they certainly are beneficial in almost all cases. Such visits are about prevention or 'wellness'. Think of it similar to going to the dentist for a cleaning, or even working out. It is proactive health care instead of simply illness/pain care. Some folks want such care and others do not.

And I have seen it mentioned a few times by different folks so I want to point out that chiropractic does in fact have a great deal of science and research behind it. Note also that chiropractic involves more than just 'popping' joints and it has effects in the body beyond just the joints and muscle pain.

Cheers.