PDA

View Full Version : Bob McDonnell and Chris Christie Don't Want Sarah Palin near their Campaigns

RonPaulFanInGA
10-09-2009, 08:00 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28118.html

Sarah Palin stands ready to stump for the Republican gubernatorial candidates running in the two most closely-watched campaigns in the country this fall, but neither seems to want her help.

Less than a month before voters go to the polls, it appears increasingly clear that the former Alaska governor, vice-presidential nominee and conservative favorite will not appear on behalf of either New Jersey’s Chris Christie or Virginia’s Bob McDonnell.

Palin is the only one of the most talked-about potential 2012 presidential candidates who has not yet campaigned for either Republican candidate.

“The governor offered her assistance with both races,” said Palin adviser Meg Stapleton. “The ball is in their court.”

Neither GOP campaign wanted to discuss why they didn’t want Palin in the state—to say so would offend the conservative base that both Christie and McDonnell are counting on, not just to vote for them but to also volunteer time in the crucial final weeks of the election.

"With 26 days left until the election, we do not anticipate Governor Palin campaigning in Virginia at this point,” said McDonnell spokesman Tucker Martin. “She has donated to our campaign, and we appreciate her support of Bob McDonnell, and her historic run as the Republican nominee for vice president.”

Palin’s political action committee gave McDonnell $2,500 this summer.

“No,” is all Christie spokeswoman Maria Comella would say when asked if they had invited Palin.

Yet the two Republican candidates have welcomed outside help from GOP luminaries. Potential 2012 rivals Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty have been to both states, and McDonnell has also welcomed such conservatives as former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

Privately, Republicans aides in Virginia and New Jersey fret that a Palin appearance with their candidates could offend swing voters who are turned off by the polarizing Alaskan.

“A prominent rally with Palin could easily send the independents to the Democratic candidates, and at the same time, she could motivate the Democratic Party base to turn out at a higher rate,” explained University of Virginia professor Larry Sabato.

In both states, GOP strategists say that to bring in Palin would merely give Democrats fodder to tie the gubernatorial candidates to the brand of Republican politics with which she’s associated.

“Why would they want to embrace a national message that goes backward as opposed to forward?” asked veteran GOP strategist Chris LaCivita, referring to last year’s presidential campaign. “She could be more of a liability than a positive. That’s not a criticism about her persona, but just the dynamics of these races.”

In New Jersey—where President Obama won by 15 percentage points last year—it’s not even a close call.

“This campaign is about New Jersey and Gov. Corzine’s record of the highest taxes in the nation, the worst unemployment in the region—not about the 2012 presidential race,” said a Christie adviser.

When Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele said, during a June visit to the Garden State, that Palin may stump in New Jersey, Christie quickly shot back that it wouldn’t happen.

"I've said that I don't think that's something that should be necessary here in New Jersey,” Christie said, while standing next to Steele.

teamrican1
10-09-2009, 05:09 PM
She should come stump for Rand and Peter instead!

tron paul
10-13-2009, 01:01 AM

It's better for her not to name names and stay above the mudslinging about personalities.

By addressing and megaphoning the issues of the dollar collapse and the Fed's malfeasance, she is indirectly stumping for all the Liberty candidates out there.:cool:

Bman
10-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Great. Just what Rand and Peter need, an idiot with a bloated ego. Palin is not what this movement needs. All of you who think she is are out of your minds.

Baptist
10-13-2009, 01:44 AM
I live in Virginia and I'm not voting next month. Aside from the fact that we use Diebold machines, the choice is between a neocon and a liberal. No thanks.

libertarian4321
10-13-2009, 02:59 AM

LOL, if Peter wins the Republican primary, and Palin campaigns for him, he'll be lucky to get 30% of the vote.

Palin is about as popular as lung cancer in a state like Connecticut.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-13-2009, 05:04 AM
I live in Virginia and I'm not voting next month....the choice is between a neocon and a liberal. No thanks.

And the fall of the word neocon to meaning simply "any politician I don't like" continues. The word is all but worthless now from overuse.

How is Bob McDonnell a "neocon"? Is keeping us in Iraq indefinitely really part of McDonnell's platform in his campaign for Governor?

RM918
10-13-2009, 05:22 AM
And the fall of the word neocon to meaning simply "any politician I don't like" continues. The word is all but worthless now from overuse.

I don't think that's how it's been used at all. Establishment Republicans are neocons until proven innocent, because due to the overwhelming majority of neocon control of the GOP you can't be certain you've got a genuine candidate until they prove it. Palin hasn't. McDonnell hasn't. Rhetoric isn't enough, because they've been spouting small government philosophy for ages and never meaning it.