PDA

View Full Version : "When the speed limit was raised ... incidents of aggressive driving dropped to zero"

Austin
10-09-2009, 07:24 AM
As an example, Peterson pointed to changes made along a section of Interstate 496 outside of Lansing, which accounted for 40 percent of reported incidents of aggressive driving in that area. When the speed limit was raised from 55 mph to 70 mph, incidents of aggressive driving dropped to zero.

"The low speed limit frustrated many drivers, so they drove over the speed limit. This caused problems for other drivers who were driving at the limit. The speed differential caused the tailgating, passing, and speeding that were reported as 'aggressive' driving," Peterson said.

His data also showed accident rates in that area also fell when the speed limit was raised.

Surprisingly, the higher speed limit also improved traffic flow, nearly eliminating all symptoms of rush hour congestion along that stretch.

Full article here: http://www.detnews.com/article/20091008/OPINION03/910080328/1149/Road-rage-s-causes-and-prevalence-debatable

MRoCkEd
10-09-2009, 07:28 AM
abolish the speed limit should come next after audit the fed

Austin
10-09-2009, 07:40 AM
abolish the speed limit should come next after audit the fed

I would say I agree, but I have a significantly biased viewpoint...

5 tickets in 3 years. :p

Dsylexic
10-09-2009, 07:48 AM
i am all against nanny state telling us how to drive.
but can somebody explain why the drivers dont care about pedestrians,traffic signals or speed limits in India (where I am from). the govt regulation is lax to the extent of being nonexistent. but it is a totally harrowing driving experience. infact i hate driving in india while I enjoy driving in the US when I visit there.

CaseyJones
10-09-2009, 07:52 AM
YouTube - I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar Music Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzs9xrKdD3I)

brandon
10-09-2009, 07:54 AM
I just ignore it for the most part.... I hit 105 mph on my way to work this morning. Serious.