PDA

View Full Version : RNC must be getting desperate

devil21
10-08-2009, 11:01 PM
I received a survey in the mail from the RNC called the "2010 Congressional District Survey" which basically is begging me for money to fight the "ultra-liberal" Democrat agenda. Why is that weird? Well I never registered as a Republican voter. Ever. And my name is misspelled exactly the way I misspell my name when I send emails to my Congresscritter, who just happens to be a Republican. I misspell my name for this very reason. I get to see who's passing my name along on mailing lists. Sounds like the RNC is scraping the bottom of the barrel these days if just a simple email to Congress ends in an RNC survey and beg for money at my door.

I filled it out in my own creative manner. The part where it asks for money I put my own checkbox and "Sorry, donated all my political money to Rand Paul and Peter Schiff already! Support them and maybe you'll get some!"

AuH2O
10-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Why is this a bad thing? They know most of the people who have contacted Congress recently as opposed to a plethora of big government programs, and the GOP wants to mobilize them.

I'm not certain they got your name from a petition or letter to Congress. For one, I think it would be illegal, and while they may not always take the law too seriously, when it come to direct mail they usually do. Second, it would be completely cost ineffective to mail non-donors. Most likely they rented the list of a group you've donated at least $5 to in the last 18 or 24 months.

Paulitical Correctness
10-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I've gotten five or six this past year. I always just use their return envelope to send them a couple slim jims and an enclosed donation of 1 penny. :D

fr33domfightr
10-09-2009, 10:48 AM
I received a survey in the mail from the RNC called the "2010 Congressional District Survey" which basically is begging me for money to fight the "ultra-liberal" Democrat agenda. Why is that weird? Well I never registered as a Republican voter. Ever. And my name is misspelled exactly the way I misspell my name when I send emails to my Congresscritter, who just happens to be a Republican. I misspell my name for this very reason. I get to see who's passing my name along on mailing lists. Sounds like the RNC is scraping the bottom of the barrel these days if just a simple email to Congress ends in an RNC survey and beg for money at my door.

I filled it out in my own creative manner. The part where it asks for money I put my own checkbox and "Sorry, donated all my political money to Rand Paul and Peter Schiff already! Support them and maybe you'll get some!"

I like this because it reminds them one more time, where the money is, and support.

FF

sluggo
10-09-2009, 10:55 AM
[deleted]

Promontorium
10-10-2009, 05:34 PM
If I were in office, I'd try to keep track of people who contacted me. I would assume they actually care, and are worth communicating with later on.

specsaregood
10-10-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure they get the info from donation records.

I always return their surveys and explain that my money doesn't go to neocons.

If by "donation records" you mean the FEC reports, then that is an illegal use of the data.

I too return mine with leftover RP slim jims.

devil21
10-10-2009, 11:38 PM
I said that I purposely use a misspelled last name for my emails to Congress. My donation name is accurate. The survey showed up with the misspelling, therefore it was not from any sort of donation info. It was simply the fact that I emailed my rep, who happens to be Republican, that I got this survey.

I guess my point was that they are making a huge logical jump between me saying NO to Cap and Trade in an email to my rep and me being a Republican that has any interest in donating to the party. That screams desperation to me. Oh well, when they get my survey full of "sidenotes" they'll know soon enough to take me off their list. My money goes to honest Liberty candidates. Not the next RINO incarnation.

freedoms-light
10-10-2009, 11:42 PM
They always receive a sampling of all my old Ron Paul slim jims.
Wonder if there is a way to send some of my old Ron Paul signs
and charge them postage.

devil21
10-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Just tape the envelope that whatever it is you want to send them. They'll have to pay the postage on it! Cardboard box fulls of rocks with the envelope taped on would do the trick.

SimpleName
10-11-2009, 03:38 AM
Just tape the envelope that whatever it is you want to send them. They'll have to pay the postage on it! Cardboard box fulls of rocks with the envelope taped on would do the trick.

I heard that is EXTREMELY fun to do to scammers online. They want you to send them something so you can supposedly get some big payday. Well, instead of sending them what you said you were going to, you mail them a huge allotment of rocks after weeks of back and forth nonsense. Usually they won't fall for it, but even if they don't, they still wasted time on you that they could have been out scamming people. Scam baiting I think its called. You can find stories on the web.

On topic, this might be a serious issue. What are the chances the GOP would send you something with the same misspelled name that you gave your Congressman? Sounds pretty fishy. If you are using that same misspelling elsewhere, could be from any of those places. Interesting for sure.

devil21
10-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Look, all supposition aside, I know for a fact that I received this survey only because I email my (R) rep. Her staffers stuck my name on the RNC mailing list. I do not show up as an (R) anywhere. I don't know if this is illegal (isn't email spam technically illegal? Why isn't postal spam illegal too?) but it is what it is.

angelatc
10-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Look, all supposition aside, I know for a fact that I received this survey only because I email my (R) rep. Her staffers stuck my name on the RNC mailing list. I do not show up as an (R) anywhere. I don't know if this is illegal (isn't email spam technically illegal? Why isn't postal spam illegal too?) but it is what it is.

I believe it is illegal. But you have little recourse. The mosrt we could do is set up a sting operation - have a bunch of people do what you did, and then keep a tally, then take it public from there.

If a staffer is doing it, he'll take the fall. If the problem encompasses Congress then maybe they'll get their hands slapped.

I won't send those idiots a dime. Not until they abandon Lindsey Graham.