PDA

View Full Version : Promise you won't fire!

Sematary
10-01-2007, 12:08 AM
I made my son, a marine, take this oath (to me).
If your government orders you to fire upon American citizens - REFUSE. Even if it means imprisonment.

Corydoras
10-01-2007, 12:20 AM
God bless you.

ctb619
10-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Good job...have him take the oath again after he gets back from his first MOUT training exercise

Sematary
10-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Good job...have him take the oath again after he gets back from his first MOUT training exercise

He is currently serving in South Korea

john_anderson_ii
10-01-2007, 12:28 AM
If your government orders you to fire upon American citizens - REFUSE. Even if it means imprisonment.

Tell your son I said Semper Fi!

As for not firing. I know lots, nearly every single Marine I've met in my career, that have already made that promise to themselves.

In boot camp, the importance of "lawful orders", is drilled into your brain. You are a Marine, not a robot. You do not kill on command, you kill for your fellow Marine. Your fellow Marine is a citizen too.

Most important quote:

"If it doesn't feel clean, and you think you might have trouble sleeping, you shouldn't be doing it." -- Senior Drill Instructor SSgt Massa, C company 1st Marine Recruiting Battalion

If push comes to shove, I'm willing to bet that more Marines will side with the citizens or do nothing, than side with the government.

Sematary
10-01-2007, 12:30 AM

As for not firing. I know lots, nearly every single Marine I've met in my career, that have already made that promise to themselves.

In boot camp, the importance of "lawful orders", is drilled into your brain. You are a Marine, not a robot. You do not kill on command, you kill for your fellow Marine. Your fellow Marine is a citizen too.

Most important quote:

"If it doesn't feel clean, and you think you might have trouble sleeping, you shouldn't be doing it." -- Senior Drill Instructor SSgt Massa, C company 1st Marine Recruiting Battalion

If push comes to shove, I'm willing to bet that more Marines will side with the citizens or do nothing, than side with the government.

I hope that is true but it was the military which helped to imprison 110,000 Japanese citizens during wwII and it was the military which fired on students at Kent State...

ctb619
10-01-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm a veteran myself, and while I don't share your optimism John, I hope to God you're right.

AlexAmore
10-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Many stories have come out lately regarding police abusing innocent people like the tazing of the student among other crazy incidents. I hope the soldiers have better judgment.

john_anderson_ii
10-01-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm a veteran myself, and while I don't share your optimism John, I hope to God you're right.

I have a lot of faith in the USMC. I honestly believe its not misplaced. Every marine is a thinking warrior, or is surrounded by enough thinking warriors to make up for the difference. :)

Sematary
10-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Many stories have come out lately regarding police abusing innocent people like the tazing of the student among other crazy incidents. I hope the soldiers have better judgment.

Unfortunately, most of them are little more than children, and will do what they are told. That is why I made my son PROMISE to never fire on American citizens.

LibertyOfOne
10-01-2007, 12:38 AM

That should be mandatory for anyone that enters the military.

john_anderson_ii
10-01-2007, 12:44 AM
That should be mandatory for anyone that enters the military.

It is, a roundabout way.

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I know every Marine is made to memorize the respective UCMJ codes that deal with lawful orders. I also know they that they are taught to use some judgment. The judgment they use will ultimately be affected by their perception of the situation.

katao
10-01-2007, 12:45 AM

Thank you!

MicroBalrog
10-01-2007, 12:48 AM
I hope that is true but it was the military which helped to imprison 110,000 Japanese citizens during wwII and it was the military which fired on students at Kent State...

It was the Ohio National Guard.

Eight of the guardsmen were indicted by a grand jury. The guardsmen claimed to have fired in self-defense, which was generally accepted by the criminal justice system. In 1974 District Judge Frank Battisti dismissed charges against all eight on the basis that the prosecution's case was too weak to warrant a tria

Man from La Mancha
10-01-2007, 12:49 AM

Most important quote:

Maybe that is why they are scattered all over the world and not at home and why Bush has Blackwater which will do anything for money. They don't take no such oaths.

MicroBalrog
10-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Further:

Not all the soldiers who fired their weapons directed their fire into the students. Some soldiers fired into the ground while a few fired into the air. In all, 29 of the 77 guardsmen claimed to have fired their weapons. A total of 67 bullets were fired. T

Sematary
10-01-2007, 12:51 AM
If you know someone in the military - make them take this oath! Our Republic may depend on it.

foofighter20x
10-01-2007, 04:03 AM
Do I get to reserve the right to self defense?

You can bet the farm though I won't fire on innocents.

LibertyEagle
10-01-2007, 04:18 AM

Most important quote:

I think I love Marines. :) I am so glad to hear what you just said.

loupeznik
10-01-2007, 05:07 AM
Do I get to reserve the right to self defense?

You can bet the farm though I won't fire on innocents.

+1

foofighter20x
10-01-2007, 05:34 AM
+1

I say that about innocents because I remember this one news piece they did years ago on soldiers who had killed in war and what effect is had on them mentally.

One of the questions asked about killing civilians, and the guy (he served in Somalia, I think) answered with a hypothetical about a soldier would have to shoot an unarmed pregnant woman because he was pinned down by sniper fire and it was crystal clear that the pregnant woman was yelling up to the sniper how to correct his missed shots.

Seriously, I mean, what do you do then, in that situation?

War is hell.

constituent
10-01-2007, 06:18 AM
when i was in high school, they were advertising big sign on cash bonuses right...
not being particularly interested in spending four more years listening to pompous windbags, i had pretty much decided to go sign up... even though i knew it would suck...

but my dad got me this book, it was called ON KILLING

i think that book should be required reading in high school.... i didn't sign up.

fsk
10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
The problem is that there are people who would shoot your son for refusing to shoot American citizens.