PDA

View Full Version : We need a Ron Paul/Liberty Movement documentary on the issues! Why don't we have one?

Reason
10-08-2009, 12:26 PM
For Liberty was just about the events of the election and didn't really touch on the issues much at all.

Documentaries are extremely powerful tools! We have lots of links to outside documentaries that are specific to single issues yet we don't really have a "Power of Nightmares" for the liberty movement as a whole...

I really think that if this was done and done right it could be one of the most effective methods of bringing people into the fold. It's a lot easier and imo a lot more effective to sit down and talk to a group of people about liberty revolution oriented topics after they have had a taste of documentaries like "The Power of Nightmares".

It creates a slap in the face and a baseline for why what you're talking about is not only important but critical!

To be honest, as much as I enjoyed "For Liberty" I have to wonder if the money spent would been better spent on a documentary that was oriented the way "The Power of Nightmares" is.

My 2 cents.

pcosmar
10-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Which issues?

There are many out by many people, and covering several issues.
I don't know if there is a one size fits all video.

CasualApathy
10-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Which issues?

There are many out by many people, and covering several issues.
I don't know if there is a one size fits all video.

I don't think there is one either, and if there is it has evaded my extensive web-searches for liberty-oriented documentaries. There are however a ton of good documentaries out there on a wide range of issues.

Epic
10-08-2009, 01:46 PM
YouTube - Part 1 - Introduction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y118wPKpNlM&feature=channel)
YouTube - Part 2: Natural Law (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBrrINBhwiQ&feature=channel)
YouTube - Part 17: Rethinking Big Business (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtyw0rwC9sY&feature=channel)
YouTube - Part 11: Economic Crisis: The First Cause (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHI5dLiPoSo&feature=channel)
YouTube - Part 4: Parties and Politics vs Principles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hdosvKCr9k&feature=channel)

justinc.1089
10-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I have wondered about the same thing.

I think the movement is in dire need of a documentary explaining the core principles; freedom, peace, economics, etc. I think it would need to focus on the types of issues that once understood will help people to understand the other issues. I think the ones that would really need explaining would be the income tax, the Fed, foreign policy, and then touch on other things. I feel like once someone understands income tax, the Fed, and foreign policy the other issues kind of fall into place because the person has an overall understanding about government at that point.

But it would still be important to touch on other issues as well, just to point people in the right direction.

Freedom to Fascism is an excellent starting documentary that most closely captures our movement in its entirety on all issues, but it falls short by a long ways since it mostly covers the income tax and the Fed.

Basically I think Freedom to Fascism started in the right direction, so if a documentary was made somewhat similar in information to that also covering more issues, particularly foreign policy, it would be the best documentary ever to explain to people what is going on with the government.

It is extremely important though.

I thought For Liberty was going to be that documentary, and when I learned it was just talking about Paul's campaign or our movement I was extremely disappointed because thats just preaching to the choir.

Its too bad Aaron Russo passed away, are there any other film makers that might do this? Aside from Jones? He's great and everything, but I think the documentary would need a different direction than his, and plus well he just already is putting out his own documentaries so this should be something aside from the ones he will continue to make.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I have wondered about the same thing.

I think the movement is in dire need of a documentary explaining the core principles; freedom, peace, economics, etc. I think it would need to focus on the types of issues that once understood will help people to understand the other issues. I think the ones that would really need explaining would be the income tax, the Fed, foreign policy, and then touch on other things. I feel like once someone understands income tax, the Fed, and foreign policy the other issues kind of fall into place because the person has an overall understanding about government at that point.

But it would still be important to touch on other issues as well, just to point people in the right direction.

Freedom to Fascism is an excellent starting documentary that most closely captures our movement in its entirety on all issues, but it falls short by a long ways since it mostly covers the income tax and the Fed.

Basically I think Freedom to Fascism started in the right direction, so if a documentary was made somewhat similar in information to that also covering more issues, particularly foreign policy, it would be the best documentary ever to explain to people what is going on with the government.

It is extremely important though.

I thought For Liberty was going to be that documentary, and when I learned it was just talking about Paul's campaign or our movement I was extremely disappointed because thats just preaching to the choir.

Its too bad Aaron Russo passed away, are there any other film makers that might do this? Aside from Jones? He's great and everything, but I think the documentary would need a different direction than his, and plus well he just already is putting out his own documentaries so this should be something aside from the ones he will continue to make.

I suppose if you wanted to, you could splice together lectures from Rothbard, Woods, Hans-Herman Hoppe, and Ron Paul. He basically preaches everything they do, he just doesn't come out and say we need to abolish the State, though what he preaches would do exactly that. (At least Economically, since he is an Austro)

micahnelson
10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
We dont have unified beliefs, thus no unified statement of beliefs.

I'm sure there are some things we could all agree on at least in principle.

ronpaulhawaii
10-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I thought For Liberty was going to be that documentary, and when I learned it was just talking about Paul's campaign or our movement I was extremely disappointed because thats just preaching to the choir...

What made you think For Liberty was going to be anything different than what it is? A film that documents a grassroots r3VOLution that the old media marginalized at every turn. We have used it to turn McCain voters who then emailed Fox in disgust. We have used it to turn Obama supporters who are now learning the difference between cronyism and capitalism. We have used it to re-energize those who "gave up" Not sure at all what you mean by preaching to the choir, methinks outreach is the job of the screeners, not the producers.

The story told in For Liberty needed to be documented. Perhaps other documentaries would be better for different purposes, but it is easier to imagine these things than to create them.

Again, I'm wondering where you got the idea that For Liberty was going to be any different than it is? For certain the trailers and promotion never stated it was going anything but what it is. I have found it a great outreach tool. Your mileage may vary

Have you have seen it?

MRoCkEd
10-08-2009, 09:25 PM
The Revolution: A Movie

Reason
10-08-2009, 09:58 PM
What made you think For Liberty was going to be anything different than what it is? A film that documents a grassroots r3VOLution that the old media marginalized at every turn. We have used it to turn McCain voters who then emailed Fox in disgust. We have used it to turn Obama supporters who are now learning the difference between cronyism and capitalism. We have used it to re-energize those who "gave up" Not sure at all what you mean by preaching to the choir, methinks outreach is the job of the screeners, not the producers.

The story told in For Liberty needed to be documented. Perhaps other documentaries would be better for different purposes, but it is easier to imagine these things than to create them.

Again, I'm wondering where you got the idea that For Liberty was going to be any different than it is? For certain the trailers and promotion never stated it was going anything but what it is. I have found it a great outreach tool. Your mileage may vary

Have you have seen it?

For liberty was great for those that were a part of the effort!

When I watched it again with people that really weren't part of the effort they were bored and unimpressed overall, it just doesn't have the meaning for them that it does to us.

I am happy that it was made.

I just think we are in dire need of an additional documentary that focus' on the issues in a summary fashion such as "the power of nightmares" does.

Yes, promoting "the power of nightmares" has been a little pet project of mine lately mostly due to the large amount of positive response I have received in exchange for bringing it to the attention of people.

I can say with 110% certainty that any clueless person is absolutely more likely to be receptive to Ron Paul after sitting through the three hours of "the power of nightmares".

I find myself wishing I had an equally powerful documentary to follow up with that would then divert these clueless people towards Ron Paul and the movement as a means of doing something about all the fcked up stuff that is exposed in PoN.

justinc.1089
10-08-2009, 10:52 PM
I suppose if you wanted to, you could splice together lectures from Rothbard, Woods, Hans-Herman Hoppe, and Ron Paul. He basically preaches everything they do, he just doesn't come out and say we need to abolish the State, though what he preaches would do exactly that. (At least Economically, since he is an Austro)

I don't know how to make videos though.:(:(:(:(

If I did I would certainly work on a video explaining our principles. I disagree that our beliefs and/or stances on issues are not unified too. The only major issue I have seen that Paul supporters are divided on is abortion because the Libertarian voters and supporters usually tend to be pro-choice from what I have seen, and then the other portion of Paul's support tends to be pro-life like him.

I think most other issues we would all agree on 99% of the time.

If someone could point me to somewhere I could look to learn how to make videos and tell me what I would need on my computer, I would work on this type of a video as my first project once I got the hang of making videos.

As for the For Liberty movie, it wasn't advertised that much so I didn't even know about it until they put an advertisement about it on here. Then I figured it was a documentary like we're talking about, and once I watched the trailer for it I realized it was not.

But no, I have not seen it so maybe it does have some value in explaining our principles and stances. I don't know since I haven't watched it, I was just assuming it was more aimed towards documenting what went on with Paul's campaign and the movement it sparked and such.

mamakar
10-09-2009, 05:28 AM
When I watched it again with people that really weren't part of the effort they were bored and unimpressed overall, it just doesn't have the meaning for them that it does to us.
I showed it to people not part of the movement, They were shocked that the media would so blatantly disregard the Paul campaign and it compelled them to be proactive.

Bradley in DC
10-09-2009, 06:12 AM
If there are people who can make vids/documentaries and serious about this, contact me. I could help with the policy part but am totally lacking the techie skills for this.

Reason
10-12-2009, 12:33 AM
bump!