PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a big screen TV?

american.swan
09-30-2007, 11:21 PM
How about this?

1. Take a big screen tv, maybe one of your meetup members has one. Or a few normal tv's.

2. With some wood and common sense mount the TV's in the back of a Pick-up truck or the top of a car.

3. With some gadgets online or at Walmart wire the tv's to your cig lighter or car battery.

4. Plug your laptop computer into each tv or the one big one.

5. Go to a very populated place at night(near a theater would be good) and start the programming of Ron Paul speeches.

6. Ron Paul wins the White House and you gain freedom.

McDermit
09-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Move 3 down to 4, and in it's place add: "Keep a firearm handy so that you're prepared to exercise your second ammendment rights when someone tries to steal the tv from your vehicle."

McDermit
09-30-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't see this being very practical. You'd have to hook up bullhorns or something for people to be able to hear it. At that rate, you might as well skip the tv and just get a jacked up sound system blaring.

american.swan
09-30-2007, 11:40 PM
I don't see this being very practical. You'd have to hook up bullhorns or something for people to be able to hear it. At that rate, you might as well skip the tv and just get a jacked up sound system blaring.

This idea didn't come out of the blue. Here in South Korea advertisers do this ALL night long. The trucks have steel doors that padlock shut and they do have sound quite high. I used to wake up in the morning to a truck on the street below selling fruit and telling me the price at 7:30 in the morning.

american.swan
09-30-2007, 11:47 PM
There is a night club I know of that has five identical cars painted with the same ad. On top of the car is an advertising balloon device. The fan blows air up a tube and the tube stays firm from the inflated air. The five cars drive around in a line and you can see them from quite a distance away. The night club is called, no joke, "don't tell momma". Anyways. This is what they do in South Korea to get people's attention and the ideas are rather strange to American's who have never seen it before.

How about having a "ice cream" truck drive around your district selling ice cream and blaring Ron Paul speeches? Be creative!!! How do you get into each house fast? Simple...loud enough speakers will get through many doors quick. (noise pollution laws darn)

OptionsTrader
10-01-2007, 12:09 AM
I considered this. What you need is a power inverter (DC to AC) with sufficient power output to power the devices. You will want to buy the 400 or 800 Watt version depending on what you want to hook up. And, unless you are going to have your engine running, the power draw will probably be significant enough to quickly drain a regular car battery, so you are going to need a marine battery that is designed for a long continuous draw, not a quick crank. A good marine trolling motor battery is what you would want, for about 70 bucks. (12V Trolling type, not cranking type)

To minimize the power draw, I have considered the following:

Screen: 32 inch LCD monitor/TV
-160 Watt external power draw

DVD device: Battery powered laptop or Battery powered DVD player (with extra batteries)
-0 Watt external power draw

A loud home computer sound system
-75 to 100 Watts external power draw

Total power draw: 260 Watts.

With a 110 Amp Hour marine battery (http://www.apexbattery.com/adventure-power-ub121100-group-30h-marine-battery-marine-batteries.html) you will get about 5 hours of use drawing 260 Watts.

You could mount the marine battery in the enclosure, but keep the terminal area accessible for charging between uses.

happyphilter
10-01-2007, 12:13 AM
a projector used at night would be a great idea. Im not sure about the TV thing haha

Corydoras
10-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm sleepy, but I imagine it would come across as a little culty, kind of He Is Our Great Leader-ish. I dunno. Maybe it depends on the video shown.

happyphilter
10-01-2007, 12:31 AM
I think reserving it for RP events would be the idea...otherwise it might make us seem a little more 'excited' for ron paul then we all ready are. some people dont like that

McDermit
10-01-2007, 12:45 AM
a projector used at night would be a great idea. Im not sure about the TV thing haha

Speaking of projectors, I just ordered a giant inflatable screen a few days ago. And I have an impluse buy projector that I got during a wootoff around christmas and never used.

Would it be possible to run the blower and the projector off a battery, or would I need a portable generator for that?

ronpaulhawaii
10-01-2007, 01:41 AM
Speaking of projectors, I just ordered a giant inflatable screen a few days ago. And I have an impluse buy projector that I got during a wootoff around christmas and never used.

Would it be possible to run the blower and the projector off a battery, or would I need a portable generator for that?

Get a genny, you would need locomotive or submarine batteries :eek:

McDermit
10-01-2007, 02:12 AM
There is a night club I know of that has five identical cars painted with the same ad. On top of the car is an advertising balloon device. The fan blows air up a tube and the tube stays firm from the inflated air. The five cars drive around in a line and you can see them from quite a distance away. The night club is called, no joke, "don't tell momma". Anyways. This is what they do in South Korea to get people's attention and the ideas are rather strange to American's who have never seen it before.

How about having a "ice cream" truck drive around your district selling ice cream and blaring Ron Paul speeches? Be creative!!! How do you get into each house fast? Simple...loud enough speakers will get through many doors quick. (noise pollution laws darn)

I looked into those blower tubes (and dancing tubes) a while ago. They were too pricey for us though. Started at around 550 for one. And putting them on cars wouldn't work around here.. Too many low wires and traffic lights.

But if we could find better prices on them, they'd be awesome attention getters even while stationary. Having the uncle Sam air dancer at a sign waving would get some amazing media attention!

McDermit
10-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Get a genny, you would need locomotive or submarine batteries :eek:

haha.. Thanks. I know nothing about this kind of stuff (stating the obvious!)

ronpaulhawaii
10-01-2007, 02:45 AM
haha.. Thanks. I know nothing about this kind of stuff (stating the obvious!)

Never hurts to ask :) They make good quiet gennys. To figure the size you need add all the wattage draw from the various componants, blower, projector, video source, sound system. Then plug that sum and voltage (usually 120 in US) here

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/baconbacon/page2.html

Standard circuits are 20amps ( x 120v = 2400w)

the blower may cause hum in your AV system from common grounding issues. Video hum looks like rolling shade bars across your screen, audio hum is self-explanatory. If so, you can lift the ground various ways, easiest is a simple adaptor from a hardware store that looks like an adaptor from a 3prong to a 2prong plug. This increases risk of damage from liquids but if you are careful, it should be fine. You may need two, one for sound, one for video.

Have fun and if you have any more A/V questions feel free to PM