PDA

View Full Version : Hannity up to his "I'm a libertarian" tricks again

emazur
10-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Sean Hannity jumps on the "I'm a libertarian" bandwagon
http://www.examiner.com/x-23963-Salt-Lake-City-Independent-Examiner~y2009m10d7-Sean-Hannity-jumps-on-the
October 7, 5:07 PM

Didn't know Sean Hannity was a die-hard libertarian? Why, because he still faithfully supports the wars, loves the PATRIOT Act, thinks water-boarding isn't so bad, and says our military is too small?

Well, today on his radio show he tried to persuade a caller he was a libertarian, mostly just by repeating, "Look, I'm a libertarian, buddy" over and over. Not terribly convincing. Apparently, this isn't the first time he's said it either.

JoshLowry
10-07-2009, 11:09 PM
lol news corp

mport1
10-07-2009, 11:33 PM
With people like Beck, Hannity, and Boortz calling themselves libertarians, it gives me pretty good incentive to drop the term for myself. I'm going with voluntaryist/anarchist/anarcho-capitalist these days.

youngbuck
10-07-2009, 11:53 PM
That's like Obama saying he's a classical liberal.

Bman
10-07-2009, 11:56 PM
voluntaryist

I find myself using this one a bit more these days.

tremendoustie
10-08-2009, 12:21 AM
With people like Beck, Hannity, and Boortz calling themselves libertarians, it gives me pretty good incentive to drop the term for myself. I'm going with voluntaryist/anarchist/anarcho-capitalist these days.

Those aren't exactly the same things though, really. Constitutionalists and minarchists are libertarians, but they're certainly not voluntaryists or ancaps.

Fr3shjive
10-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Beck supports the Patriot Act?

I just read an interview with Bob Barr and it looks like he's defending it. How can he call him self a libertarian when he is in support of the partiot act?

emazur
10-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Beck supports the Patriot Act?

I'm not sure when this is from, but I found this:

"The PATRIOT Act, the PATRIOT Act just by name alone should have been a warning sign. In the PATRIOT Act there are things that we I believe need to allow the federal government to do for a limited time only and in a very limited scope and I was satisfied by the Sunset provision in the PATRIOT Act. However I'm growing more and more leery of that and that's not because of the Obama administration. That is because of my view on the government and how out of control they are in the last couple of years where I don't -- I no longer trust the government. I think there are -- I think there are a lot of good people in government that are in there fighting, but I also believe with an emergency and an awful lot of power, unscrupulous people can use them in unscrupulous ways."

"growing more leery" won't exactly anyone to take down Goliath - he'll need to use much stronger language. But it's progress

Reason
10-08-2009, 01:47 AM
One more reason why I refuse to use labels in any shape or form.

I've had heated debates about my refusal to use labels in my college poli sci classes.

Professors tend to get irritated when they can't stick a pin in you and put you in a classification like a bug collection.

pacelli
10-08-2009, 05:23 AM
These media assholes just keep pushing, and pushing, and pushing.

bobbyw24
10-08-2009, 05:28 AM
I know--I hear Hannity and Rush talk about liberty, freedom and small government but the policies they pimp are just not in line with that philosophy. They smear real libertarians relentlessly.

Elwar
10-08-2009, 07:09 AM
I'm an individual with my own thoughts and views.

A. Havnes
10-08-2009, 07:14 AM
I know--I hear Hannity and Rush talk about liberty, freedom and small government but the policies they pimp are just not in line with that philosophy. They smear real libertarians relentlessly.

There's a label for them, too. Neocons.

ScoutsHonor
10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
I would rather fight than surrender the language to them. :(:mad:

Elwar
10-08-2009, 07:40 AM
The Sean Hannity show is obvious satire but I think some people that listen to it actually believe some of the things he says and they get into it.

rprprs
10-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm an individual with my own thoughts and views.

Yes, me too, and I certainly wouldn't waste any time trying to pigeonhole myself with a label. Whatever they are, I probably wouldn't fit neatly into any of those ill-defined categories anyway.

Having said that, and despite the fact that he, again, used the term on his TV show last night also, Hannity is NO libertarian. :p

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Obama is a libertarian too!

Fozz
10-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I will not surrender that word. Plenty of people still associate libertarians with Ron Paul and just because Sean Hannity sometimes calls himself a libertarian, doesn't mean he is one, nor does it mean that he is known as a libertarian.

ScoutsHonor
10-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Up is Down..

Black is White..

:rolleyes:

An old trick from Mr. Orwell.

lester1/2jr
10-08-2009, 09:04 AM
the worst offender in this catagory is Bill maher

PBrady
10-08-2009, 09:09 AM
the worst offender in this catagory is Bill maher
No man, he's a libertarian. He wants to legalize pot. :rolleyes:

BudhaStalin
10-08-2009, 09:20 AM
The whole world is libertarian! :O

Matt Collins
10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Beware of rising libertarians:
http://www.takimag.com/sniperstower/article/beware_of_rising_libertarians/#When:01:39:42Z (http://www.takimag.com/sniperstower/article/beware_of_rising_libertarians/#When:01:39:42Z)

ClayTrainor
10-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I prefer not to refer to myself as a libertarian because of these talking heads.

Bucjason
10-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Hannity refers to himself as a "proud conservative " or a "true conservative" anytime I've ever listened to him.

I don't buy this woman's brief blog report . The only evidence she provides is the qoute, " Look, I'm a Libertarian buddy" totally out of context.

I'm not defending Hannity , I don't like him. I'm just saying this doesn't sound like the Hannity I've ever heard , and I'd like to see that qoute in some context.

ClayTrainor
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Hannity refers to himself as a "proud conservative " or a "true conservative" anytime I've ever listened to him.

I don't buy this woman's brief blog report . The only evidence she provides is the qoute, " Look, I'm a Libertarian buddy" totally out of context.

I'm not defending Hannity , I don't like him. I'm just saying this doesn't sound like the Hannity I've ever heard , and I'd like to see that qoute in some context.

I've seen him actually call himself a libertarian before. I can't find the clip, but here's an article that references it.

http://libertarianrepublican.blogspot.com/2009/02/hannity-libertarian.html

JeNNiF00F00
10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
One more reason why I refuse to use labels in any shape or form.

I've had heated debates about my refusal to use labels in my college poli sci classes.

Professors tend to get irritated when they can't stick a pin in you and put you in a classification like a bug collection.

LOL I have found this to be true with hardcore liberals trying to do this. Its hilarious. :D

Romulus
10-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I prefer not to refer to myself as a libertarian because of these talking heads.

Then you have let them win.

There mission is to hijack the movement or smear it. Dont let em do that.

Bucjason
10-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I've seen him actually call himself a libertarian before. I can't find the clip, but here's an article that references it.

http://libertarianrepublican.blogspot.com/2009/02/hannity-libertarian.html

Also , one of the lead-in's on Hannity's Radio show - "Conservatism in Exile- This is the Sean Hannity Show" , so I don't think it's fair to say he claims he is libertarian. He was probably just claiming he is libertarian on certain issues.

ClayTrainor
10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Also , one of the lead-in's on Hannity's Radio show - "Conservatism in Exile- This is the Sean Hannity Show" , so I don't think it's fair to say he claims he is libertarian. He was probably just claiming he is libertarian on certain issues.

well, he simply said "i'm a libertarian" and then went on to say "but..."

I'm not trying to distort anything, just echoing what he said. He would like to make an attempt to tap into that Glenn Beck "Libertarian" audience, i'm sure many of them watch his show occasionally.

ClayTrainor
10-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Then you have let them win.

There mission is to hijack the movement or smear it. Dont let em do that.

Well, i'm only a libertarian in the sense that i don't believe in any government at all. i think that means im a Big L?

It's easier to refer to myself as a voluntarist, because voluntary is actually a common word in everyday language, and people understand what it means almost instantly. If it's voluntary amongst all individuals involved, i have no problems with anything.

anaconda
10-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Many forum members have made the astute observation that all of the necons and otherwise corrupt GOP, including their bought-and-paid for cheerleaders in the media ALL try to sound like libertarians when they are out of power.