PDA

View Full Version : Takimag: "Glenn Beck is an unpatriotic conservative" or "he's more libertarian"

Matt Collins
10-07-2009, 02:19 PM
http://www.takimag.com/site/article/an_unpatriotic_conservative/

Pennsylvania
10-07-2009, 02:24 PM
1. America Is Good.

That's pretty patriotic. I think maybe the author could have said "non-partisan conservative".

Deborah K
10-07-2009, 02:33 PM
The difference between Levin and Beck as it pertains to maligning Ron Paul is that they both dug themselves holes and only one of them is even remotely attempting to climb out. I liked the article though.

Pericles
10-07-2009, 02:43 PM
At least Beck is doing an effective job of facilitating freedom minded individuals to network together.

Athan
10-07-2009, 03:24 PM
The difference between Levin and Beck as it pertains to maligning Ron Paul is that they both dug themselves holes and only one of them is even remotely attempting to climb out. I liked the article though.

Yup. The attacks by that little whining bitch is a credit to Glenn Beck and lends him actual legitimacy or street cred.

lester1/2jr
10-07-2009, 03:37 PM
the title refers to an infamous David frum colum from 2003 when he labeled pretty much every libertarian type conservative you've ever heard of as unpatriotic because they were opposed to the Iraq invasion.

taki, the guy that site is named after, challenged him to a duel!! possibly the greatest comeback ever in the history of time. note: Frum is a canadian who has obviously never served in their or our military

apropos
10-07-2009, 05:07 PM
"America is good" is a pretty vague statement. What specifically about it is "good", I wonder?

1836er
10-07-2009, 06:18 PM
"America is good" is a pretty vague statement. What specifically about it is "good", I wonder?

What's good about America (obviously) are our founding principles of inalienable rights, limited government, and decentralized federalism. The problems we've always had... especially since the progressive era... weren't bad principles, it was failing to live up to them and/or purposefully abandoning them.

What we need isn't a revolution as much as it is a renaissance and restoration of the founding principles, and to the extent that Glenn Beck is beginning to see this push for this I see as a good thing. In fact, I think that the accelerated pace at which we've been heading down the crapper these last 13 months has caused a lot of conservatives/Republicans to engage in some serious reevaluations of exactly what they believe and stand for (something that would have been harder for them to do with McCain in the White House)... and that's a good thing too. Hopefully, it will matter... though in the end I doubt it.

SimpleName
10-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I like how the author finishes off by saying that neoconservativism would've continued had McCain been elected. I think obama's election was essential to the growth of Beck and the mainstreaming "libertarianism." If Mccain had won, conservatives would've just continued praying for the best instead of really questioning their beliefs.

Mark Levin is just cementing his own feet by not hopping aboard. He will eventually be looked at as the OLD Republican party if the current trends continue. He will wither away with Sean Hannity as being evil not only to liberals but to conservatives too. And I LOVE that idea. At least Ronald Reagan had the guts to hold some principles in spite of his so-so policies and I deeply respect him for that. These guys on the other hand have no principle whatsoever and they'll lose any place in people's memory.