PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court: Sotomayor Asks More Questions In An Hour Than Clarence Thomas Has In Y

bobbyw24
10-07-2009, 05:19 AM
The Supreme Court's newest justice, Sonia Sotomayor, made her presence felt as the court began its new term Monday, the AP reports.
The Supreme Court began its new term Monday by indicating a willingness to limit how long a suspect's request for a lawyer should remain valid, and new Justice Sonia Sotomayor wasted little time in letting her voice be heard by questioning the lawyers.

Just how vocal was Sotomayor on the Monday? According to McClatchy she managed to ask more questions in an hour than the extremely taciturn Clarence Thomas has asked "over the course of several years."

The Washington Post also commented on Sotomayor's confident performance in its review of Monday's session:
Sotomayor displayed no reticence on the

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/06/sotomayor-asks-more-quest_n_310988.html

apropos
10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
An empty jar makes the most sound, perhaps?

Truth-Bringer
10-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Irrelevant. Some of the most "verbose" people I see on other forums are liberal statist pinheads. Running off at the mouth proves nothing.

Do we like Ron Paul solely because of what he says? No. We like and admire Ron Paul because his actions back up his words.

Sotomayor's previous decisions on the bench show her to be a complete statist idiot.

bobbyw24
10-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Irrelevant. Some of the most "verbose" people I see on other forums are liberal statist pinheads. Running off at the mouth proves nothing.

Do we like Ron Paul solely because of what he says? No. We like and admire Ron Paul because his actions back up his words.

Sotomayor's previous decisions on the bench show her to be a complete statist idiot.

The Spartans said: The Quiet Man is Never a Fool

Truth-Bringer
10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
The Spartans said: The Quiet Man is Never a Fool

I think there's a similar quote in the Bible. But that's not entirely accurate. The quiet man could indeed be a fool - through his actions.

Ultimately, words mean nothing - what matters are a person's deeds. This is the problem with the vast majority of politicians in Washington - their actions don't match their words.

bobbyw24
10-07-2009, 08:51 AM
I think there's a similar quote in the Bible. But that's not entirely accurate. The quiet man could indeed be a fool - through his actions.

Ultimately, words mean nothing - what matters is a person's deeds. This is the problem with the vast majority of politicians in Washington - their actions don't match their words.

Nice clarification

Truth-Bringer
10-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Nice clarification

I think the Spartans were noting that fools tend to run off at the mouth. They're usually too foolish to know when to shut up.

Dionysus
10-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Everybody knows that the wise are often blabbermouths. ;)
She displays the overblown self-confidence of a deeply insecure person. Similar to 500-lb women on trashy talk shows who claim they look good.

angelatc
10-07-2009, 09:25 AM

Exactly. Asking that many questions indicates that she's planning on legislating from the bench.

jkr
10-07-2009, 09:53 AM
questions like:

where is my car parked?

what is a "bill o rights", why are there no lefts?

aren't i cute as a button?

what is a NUMB-CHUCK?

when i say i swear to tell the truth under oath, does that REALLY mean i have to tell the truth?
follow up: really?

can i have Clarence's parking space? he doesnt need it as much as me...

what time is lunch?
follow up: where is the bathroom?

and the winner:

where are my car keys?

NYgs23
10-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I still don't see how she's worse than Souter or most of the other people on there.

Zippyjuan
10-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Sotomayor has tried more cases than almost the entire rest of the Court.

Asking that many questions indicates that she's planning on legislating from the bench.
In my opinion, people who have made up their mind (and would "legislate from the bench") will ask fewer questions. Asking questions is how you try to get down to the facts without imposing your own premade decision on a case.

Questions alone tell us nothing though. How are the questions related to the case? Do they have a direction (trying to point the evidence in a particular direction) or merely trying to get more details on the particular case? Asking more questions is a sign of a more open mind.

We will have to wait until we get a few decisions from her before we can say how she is performing as a Supreme Court Justice.