PDA

View Full Version : Taking a mandatory Federal photoshoot and fingerprinting

Free Moral Agent
10-07-2009, 12:18 AM
I was just recently hired onto the marketing department of an investment bank / securities firm as a graphic designer and NO the bank I work for did not receive bail-out money. It is actually quite successful and is expanding. Despite all that, I still loathe the corporate "culture" that surrounds me and can't wait to make an exit to some other industry...

While I was working today, I received an e-mail telling me that I must attend a mandatory Federal photo shoot and fingerprinting. I tried to ask about it non-nonchalantly, but the human resources girl couldn't elaborate for shit. I think this is in reference to anti-money laundering efforts, I remember signing some papers on my first day regarding that very topic and how the Patriot Act has put tougher measures on the banking industry.

I think this is bullshit, since I don't even deal with finances. I've practically already agreed for them to do a thorough background check and now they want to ID me like this? Does anybody gone through this or have more knowledge of what this is for and how it will be used?

Danke
10-07-2009, 04:30 AM
Well, you're a graphic designer. Can't you artist types consider your face and fingerprints our personal art? Tell them you'd be glad to have your art copied, for a measly sum of one million dollars.

hillbilly123069
10-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Welcome to the belly of the beast.

Matt Collins
10-07-2009, 09:36 AM
You should see this:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.3174.IH: (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.3174.IH:)

To provide that only certain forms of identification of individuals may be accepted by the Federal Government and by financial institutions. July 10, 2009

pcosmar
10-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Such is the reality today. Sucks as it does.
I had to get one to enter a "secure port area" to do maintenance or repair on Company vehicles.
With Photo, Fingerprints, (they already had them) and an FBI Background check.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_X5ydAghO8zQ/SncuaGLDfaI/AAAAAAAAAR0/0RWQZP_gUKw/s320/Badge.jpeg

JeNNiF00F00
10-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I dont think I could go through it. Even with these hard times. *sigh* Fuck THAT.

constituent
10-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Walk out on 'em. The free market works both ways.

angelatc
10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
I
While I was working today, I received an e-mail telling me that I must attend a mandatory Federal photo shoot and fingerprinting. I tried to ask about it non-nonchalantly, but the human resources girl couldn't elaborate for shit. I think this is in reference to anti-money laundering efforts, I remember signing some papers on my first day regarding that very topic and how the Patriot Act has put tougher measures on the banking industry.

it?

I had to do it in the '80's.

amy31416
10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
The night before you have to do this, bake a loaf of bread and when the bread is done, remove the pan slowly without wearing potholders. :p

Deborah K
10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
We had to do it to get our Security Alarm license, so that we could sell and install alarms and cameras.

You have to give the DMV a fingerprint and photo.

I don't like it but I don't like paying taxes or having a SSN either. Baby steps people.

TinCanToNA
10-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Indeed, this sounds like the price of doing business.

If the employment contract is not what you wish it to be, you can try to amend, try to nullify it, or try to follow it. If you didn't read it carefully... then it sounds like you value employment more than silly details.:o

devil21
10-07-2009, 06:26 PM
This was all the rage after 9/11. Security apparatus going into overdrive. I worked for a local gov't (important one even) at the time and successfully ducked all that stuff since I started only a month before 9/11 hit. Everyone hired afterward was sent through the wringer. You better believe that your info will be sent places you never agreed for it to go. These are the issues that one must weigh when determining their threshold for participating in the growing Big Brother surveillance police state. If it means the difference between keeping a roof over your head and food on the table instead of homeless and hungry, then I would never judge you for it. However, I also will have little pity or empathy if it later comes back to bite you in the ass.

pcosmar
10-07-2009, 07:14 PM
This was all the rage after 9/11. Security apparatus going into overdrive. I worked for a local gov't (important one even) at the time and successfully ducked all that stuff since I started only a month before 9/11 hit. Everyone hired afterward was sent through the wringer. You better believe that your info will be sent places you never agreed for it to go. These are the issues that one must weigh when determining their threshold for participating in the growing Big Brother surveillance police state. If it means the difference between keeping a roof over your head and food on the table instead of homeless and hungry, then I would never judge you for it. However, I also will have little pity or empathy if it later comes back to bite you in the ass.

^^ This,
and also this,
Genesis 25:29-34

34 Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left.
So Esau despised his birthright.

virgil47
10-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Well if you don't want to submit to the checks and such don't. Just find another job and keep your money under your pillow. However don't whine about having to do things you don't want to do if you want the job you now have.

With the advent of modern technology it was a given that employers would want to know more about employees. Haven't you read about some school district somewhere that ends up with a public relations mess because they didn't check out their teachers and a pedophile slipped in.

I've been fingerprinted so many times over the years and signed so many non disclosure statements concerning classified information that it has become just another part of life.

If you are concerned about getting on one of the gov.'s lists it's already way, way too late. If you have a birth certificate and a social security number you are on more lists than you can imagine.

Basically do whatever your conscience can handle. If you have no desire to be successful financially just drop out of society or try to anyway. If you behave like a little mouse and hide in the corner "THEY" may leave you alone. Then again maybe not.

Free Moral Agent
10-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Well I went and got it done today. Since nobody gave me a straight answer, I asked the guy doing the prints and he didn't know the details either. I pressed the human resources girl as to whether this is something the company adopted or whether it was being imposed by the government. She admitted that it was being imposed, well sorta...

After doing some research, I came to find out that this precaution was imposed by FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Inc.) However, I don't know how much reach the Patriot Act has in these precautions. FINRA is a private corporation that acts as a self-regulatory organization. These are the same guys that were supposed to be responsible for detecting Madoff!

The human resources girl, exclaimed that I was the FIRST PERSON to have ever asked about why I am being fingerprinted and getting a photo shot. I thought to myself, how sad...

BTW, I'm not whining and I'm not in dire straights either. I understand I have the power to leave at any time (see my alias), I just wanted more info.

virgil47
10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Well I went and got it done today. Since nobody gave me a straight answer, I asked the guy doing the prints and he didn't know the details either. I pressed the human resources girl as to whether this is something the company adopted or whether it was being imposed by the government. She admitted that it was being imposed, well sorta...

After doing some research, I came to find out that this precaution was imposed by FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Inc.) However, I don't know how much reach the Patriot Act has in these precautions. FINRA is a private corporation that acts as a self-regulatory organization. These are the same guys that were supposed to be responsible for detecting Madoff!

The human resources girl, exclaimed that I was the FIRST PERSON to have ever asked about why I am being fingerprinted and getting a photo shot. I thought to myself, how sad...

BTW, I'm not whining and I'm not in dire straights either. I understand I have the power to leave at any time (see my alias), I just wanted more info.

I apologize for the whining comment. It was uncalled for. I did not understand that you simply wanted to know the why of it all. Unfortunately background checks have become the norm in todays world.

Free Moral Agent
10-09-2009, 12:26 AM
np, I know the icon I chose for the post was a little too reactionary.

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-09-2009, 10:33 PM
since when did you need fingerprints for a drivers license? I didn't need one for mine, just a picture obviously, since the picture is on the license.

virgil47
10-10-2009, 10:26 AM
since when did you need fingerprints for a drivers license? I didn't need one for mine, just a picture obviously, since the picture is on the license.

I'm not sure of the rules in all of the states but I know you are required to be finger printed to obtain a CDL .

REDNECK WOMAN
10-10-2009, 08:32 PM
They can have a crack print of my ass.

akihabro
10-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure of the rules in all of the states but I know you are required to be finger printed to obtain a CDL .

I guess it could have its benefits like if you are involved in a car crash and are so mangled or burnt beyond recognition they use your thumbprint to identify you.