PDA

View Full Version : History Channel turning into the War Channel?

123tim
10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Has anyone noticed the current trend with the History Channel? This is just about the only channel that I watch...not for very much longer though.

It's seems like the History Channel is turning into the "future war channel". I turned it on tonight... there's a program on right now called " The Universe - Space Wars" They're talking about future wars in space and how we might be able to "take out" violent civilizations on other planets with space ship rail guns. Every thing that is hypothesized is talked about like it's completely natural to assume that we'll be at war in space in 100 years.

There's also a program (which I thought would be a really great) called "That's Impossible" which I thought would be about new and wondrous inventions. It turns out that it's completely about war inventions or inventions that could be twisted about to have a war emphasis. There was one episode where a researcher was shooting wired rockets into clouds to collect lightning information..."That's Impossible" twisted this around and reported how this might be used to disable a tank by shooting a wired rocket into a storm cloud above the tank!

Just my rant....I was just interested if anyone else feels the same as I do.

BenIsForRon
10-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Totally agree. I think there's also a dedicated military channel to give people boners for the MIC.

It's pretty saddening, because people watch that and don't think about the people up-top who are thinking of new reasons to use those weapons.

olehounddog
10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Just got a gop survey and one of the ?'s was: Do you believe that we should invest in a space-based defense system that will be capable of protecting Americans from intercontinental ballistic missles?

They are prepping the masses.

Reason
10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
History channel is only 80% accurate at the best of times anyway.

Most of the time it's not even close to 80%.

coyote_sprit
10-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Those world's that are billions of light years from our own and don't even know we exist hate us for our freedom...

Anti Federalist
10-06-2009, 08:52 PM
So the Hitler Channel is changing to bring in a new demographic.

ARealConservative
10-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Those world's that are billions of light years from our own and don't even know we exist hate us for our freedom...

:D

Reason
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM

:cool:

ForLiberty-RonPaul
10-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Everybody remember "Rebuilding America's Defenses"? Space based warfare was pushed bigtime.

Dreamofunity
10-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Not that I agree with the content completely, but much of the important events in history stem from warfare. It's not a pretty side of humanity, but it tends to be very historical, and prime viewing for most pseudo-history buffs that only indulge by watching TV. As much as we may like learning about precolonial everyday life, or the history of classical liberalism, most people just want to learn about WWII, the Civil War, and other bloody messes.

As with the space warfare, again I'd wish humans all turned peaceful and war sucks, but it's a pretty certain possibility. Maybe not actually in space, but future war is inevitable.

The thing I like best on the History Channel is The Universe series (much broader topics than just the warfare one mentioned), but since I got a new cable system we have a Science Channel, which has even better ones and none of that excessive war stuff. You should see if you have it.

loudes13
10-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Dreamo is right on.

Hard facts and events usually revolve around elections, wars, and revolutions. Social changes are usually much harder to define.

justinc.1089
10-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Haven't you guys seen Transformers, Alien Vs. Predator, or played Halo?

ESPECIALLY HALO?!

We have to be prepared. I think we need to train super-soldiers from birth like the MasterChief in Halo so that our Spartans can combat the Aliens and Predators.

As for rail guns we will need those too. I say we have both Mac Guns like the starships in Halo and rail guns like from that ship in Transformers 2, that way we're prepared for anything.

And last, the key to winning future wars in space is Optimus Prime. With both Optimus Prime and the Master Chief on our side, no freedom hating robotic alien scum monster can stop us. Ever.

Edit:

Or instead of training super-soldiers from birth like in Halo's Spartan 2 Project we could at least make ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Troopers) and the cool spacepods they get launched down to a plantet in from a starship. I know a lot of people will disagree with training someone from birth to be a soldier but we can at LEAST have ODST's.

Also the United Nations is going to have to take over in order to form the United Nations Space Command like in Halo also, so that we can have a united defense against alien civilizations.

Edit:

I give you the future:

YouTube - Halo 3: ODST Live Action Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dc7zGkW7g8)

tangent4ronpaul
10-07-2009, 06:37 AM
The History channel usually ramps up the war rhetoric when the government starts saber rattling. When they and their spin-off - the Military channel started doing mocumentaries (documentaries of things that didn't really happen) it was obvious they had become a propaganda wing of the government.

C-SPAN2/3 usually has better history on the weekends.

There is also a Pentagon channel out here but it covers things like briefings, military news, a cooking show, a PT (exercise) show, etc.

-t

justinc.1089
10-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Seriously, I agree with the op on this. I don't watch the history channel that much because it seems that most of the shows are about wars, the military, the military and future theoretical wars, ancient prophecies of doom and destruction, and occasionally something very boring but more substancial like a documentary about a historical figure.