PDA

View Full Version : Analysts: GOP to gain many seats in '10 [RAND? PETER?]

bobbyw24
10-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Analysts: GOP to gain many seats in '10

Donald Lambro

Following major setbacks in 2008, the national political landscape for Republicans has improved so dramatically in recent months that election analysts say the only remaining question is how deep the Democrats' losses will be in the 2010 congressional midterm races.

President Obama's approval rating has fallen to 51 percent in the Gallup tracking survey. A recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll showed that voters were nearly evenly divided on which party should control Congress, with Democrats edging Republicans by just three points, down from a seven-point lead in July, and election analysts have moved nearly two dozen Democratic House seats into "competitive" rating columns benefiting the Republican Party.

"The president's standing has weakened; Democrats are on the defensive on the economy, spending and health care; and key midterm voting groups — including seniors and independents — are moving away from the Democrats and toward the GOP," veteran elections analyst Stuart Rothenberg told his newsletter subscribers last week in his latest survey of House races for 2010.

"We've moved a number of races, but it's still early, and we expect many more races to develop that are not now on our chart. Eventually, this should put more Democratic seats at risk," Mr. Rothenberg said.

Longtime elections handicapper Charlie Cook agrees that the national political movement has turned decidedly away from the Democrats at this point in the two-year election cycle.

"As the political environment for Democrats has turned ugly, it is widely assumed the party will sustain losses in next year's midterm elections. The operative question is: How bad will those losses be?" he said in a recent analysis for Congress Daily.

Historically, the party that wins the White House loses House seats in the new president's first midterm elections, a trend that has been broken just twice since the 1930s (under Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1934 and George W. Bush in 2002). The post-World War II average losses in a president's first term is 16 House seats, but Mr. Cook says "

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/06/gop-seen-making-major-gains-in-midterm-races/?feat=home_headlines&page=2

Matt Collins
10-06-2009, 10:45 AM
It's not good enough to just get Republicans in office, they must be limited-government Republicans. Otherwise it'll be more of the same.

TCE
10-06-2009, 10:49 AM
It's not good enough to just get Republicans in office, they must be limited-government Republicans. Otherwise it'll be more of the same.

Not so much. The new Freshmen Republicans will likely vote with the crowd, which is anti-Democrat at the moment. It will be a problem after 2012 when the Neo-Cons come back into power.

Light
10-06-2009, 11:00 AM

This. Plus, the Republican incumbents who voted for the bailouts need to be thrown out. This is why it is imperative to participate in the primaries.

Pauls' Revere
10-06-2009, 11:16 AM

I concur, the GOP must eliminate the old guard in a wide sweeping reach. I mean to the point where practically every GOP incumbent must go and be replaced with Libertarian minded people. Hell we need more Libertarians to fill seats as well. Frankly I haven't seen enough to indicate that this is remotely possible. Better yet, the GOP backed media machine must be eliminated or more of the same message will pollute the airwaves and print.

Personally, I would rather see the rise of a Libertarian Party movement to challenge both the Dems and Repubs. Both of which are destroying this country. I understand the urge to run as Repubs as Schiff and Rand are doing but I really wish they would push the Independent or Libertarian angle as Ross Perot did. There is another choice between left and right or Dem v/s Repub and it's the Independents and Libertarians.

erowe1
10-06-2009, 12:11 PM
If Rand and Schiff win, the GOP will not consider that a gain of any seats.

Flash
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Peter Schiff? I kind of doubt that. Rand Paul? Definently yes.

Bucjason
10-06-2009, 01:22 PM
If Rand and Schiff win, the GOP will not consider that a gain of any seats.

I disagree. They WILL consider it a gain.

But what they will also do is knee-cap them if they don't know thier role, and try to move into positions of party leadership , or worse run for President....

kahless
10-06-2009, 01:55 PM

To add to the above, we also need a strategy for evicting big government Neocons that have another 5 years to go, like Lindsey Graham.

Is there any precedent for having a recall so we can start a grassroots effort to get that clown out of office?

lx43
10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Graham represents my state, I wish there was a recall.

Flash
10-06-2009, 03:08 PM
To add to the above, We also need a strategy for evicting big government Neocons that have another 5 years to go, like Lindsey Graham.

Is there any precedent for having a recall so we can start a grassroots effort to get that clown out of office?

16 words: Bob Conley

Matt Collins
10-06-2009, 03:23 PM
It will be a problem after 2012 when the Neo-Cons come back into power.And that must not be allowed.

JXL78
10-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Or limited government democrats like Traficant.