PDA

View Full Version : Empire of Liberty

Galileo Galilei
10-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815

by Dr. Gordon S. Wood

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Liberty-History-Republic-1789-1815/dp/0195039149

Just picked up this brand new book today, it is an excellent book. Dr. Wood gets it!

Everyone should get a copy. Great analysis of how the ideals of the Revolution were implemented when faced with reality. Profound ananlysis of the Second War of Independence. (sometimes called the War of 1812)

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815

by Dr. Gordon S. Wood

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Liberty-History-Republic-1789-1815/dp/0195039149

Just picked up this brand new book today, it is an excellent book. Dr. Wood gets it!

Everyone should get a copy. Great analysis of how the ideals of the Revolution were implemented when faced with reality. Profound ananlysis of the Second War of Independence. (sometimes called the War of 1812)

Hmmm I'll have to check it out. Always interested in history. The Revolution was frought from the beginning by it's treasonous poison from within (The Hamiltonians). If the Alien and Sedition Acts aren't evidenced from this....anyways, off on a tangent! Thanks, I'll check this out.

PS: Read the summary. Calling out Bullshit. The North didn't end Slavery. In fact, there were a few Northern States who still practiced Slavery after the Civil War. I hate Northern revisionist romanticized bullshit. Other than that, it doesn't look half bad--- might end up getting it sometime.

heavenlyboy34
10-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Hmmm I'll have to check it out. Always interested in history. The Revolution was frought from the beginning by it's treasonous poison from within (The Hamiltonians). If the Alien and Sedition Acts aren't evidenced from this....anyways, off on a tangent! Thanks, I'll check this out.

PS: Read the summary. Calling out Bullshit. The North didn't end Slavery. In fact, there were a few Northern States who still practiced Slavery after the Civil War. I hate Northern revisionist romanticized bullshit. Other than that, it doesn't look half bad--- might end up getting it sometime.

Interesting-in other threads I've seen people defending the Hamiltonians! :eek: :p These forums are indeed a mish-mash of opinions! :cool:

Galileo Galilei
10-05-2009, 05:19 PM

"The North" did indeed end slavery. They did not end it as quickly as many believe, but they did end it.

This book is not about what happened after 1815 anyway. You are also reading the comments of the publisher, not the author.

Another of Gordon Woods books:

The Radicalism of the American Revolution
http://www.amazon.com/Radicalism-American-Revolution-Gordon-Wood/dp/0679736883

This book, unlike many by modern liberals, does not spend all its time griping that the Revolution did not fee the slaves. Instead, it focuses on what was really radical in the Revolution. The author is a real scholar, not an armchair, kneejerk scholar, that tried to fits the facts into a preconceived theory.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-05-2009, 05:26 PM
"The North" did indeed end slavery. They did not end it as quickly as many believe, but they did end it.

This book is not about what happened after 1815 anyway. You are also reading the comments of the publisher, not the author.

Another of Gordon Woods books:

The Radicalism of the American Revolution
http://www.amazon.com/Radicalism-American-Revolution-Gordon-Wood/dp/0679736883

This book, unlike many by modern liberals, does not spend all its time griping that the Revolution did not fee the slaves. Instead, it focuses on what was really radical in the Revolution. The author is a real scholar, not an armchair, kneejerk scholar, that tried to fits the facts into a preconceived theory.

Ugh. The North didn't end Slavery. The EP didn't end Slavery. It took an Amendment to the Constitution to end Slavery. The North couldn't alone end it because it didn't have the required number of States to ratify it. Even the glorified President Lincoln the tyrant he was, wanted to ship all the Blacks back to Africa. He even invited some of them to the White House to tell them this. Good grief. You have bought the propaganda wholesale.

In fact, there are many books, and other works BY BLACKS IN THE NORTH, about how bad they were treated. Just because some Northern States prohibited Slavery didn't mean blacks weren't treated like trash, because they were. I'm tired of the deification of the North. There were more abolitionists in the South than the North anyways. (Guess who worked the Underground Railroad - tip, it wasn't the Northerners)

Anyways, this is one of the things I am most highly read about, because I am a true Southerner whose family fought in the Civil War, not about Slavery, but about Economic Tyranny, destruction of States Rights, and the right of Secession. Perhaps you should read about Sherman. I rank Sherman worst than Hitler.