PDA

View Full Version : GOP Congressman calls for immediate withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Matt Collins
10-05-2009, 03:20 PM
U.S. Rep. Tim Johnson (R) intends to sponsor legislation calling for an immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan.

Johnson stated that he is working closely with a bipartisan group, including fellow Republican Dr. Ron Paul, and Democrats, Jim McGovern and Jerry Costello, to craft withdrawal legislation.

At a recent town hall meeting (http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2009/09/22/johnson_plans_to_push_to_get_troops_out_of_afghani stan), he explained the reasoning behind his position:Please read the rest here:
http://www.humblelibertarian.com/2009/10/republican-congressman-calls-for.html

yokna7
10-05-2009, 03:22 PM
A call and email to my reps to cosponsor this is in the works.

YumYum
10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I propose we set up Wal Mart superstores all over Afghanistan and let the free market do its thing and bring about peace. I called Wal Mart headquarters and told them of my idea; they flat out rejected it.

"Why?", I asked.

"Because," the woman paused, "Our stores would become Targets".

sratiug
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes we can... march right out.

Matt Collins
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
YouTube - Judge Napolitano on Iran War Rhetoric (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv9QiL2p0dk&feature=player_embedded)

klamath
10-05-2009, 03:55 PM
This is good to hear.

lester1/2jr
10-05-2009, 03:56 PM
awesome. I bet there are more dems than repubs who will support this though

123tim
10-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I propose we set up Wal Mart superstores all over Afghanistan and let the free market do its thing and bring about peace. I called Wal Mart headquarters and told them of my idea; they flat out rejected it.

"Why?", I asked.

Oh, come on. Surely someone should have commented on this. :)

+1 for good humor.

A call and email to my reps to cosponsor this is in the works.

And a +1 for needed seriousness.

JK/SEA
10-05-2009, 05:11 PM

"Why?", I asked.

I don't get it. explain.

oh wait...target...yeah...target...get it?...hahaha

lx43
10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I can't believe it. There is actually another republican besides Ron Paul in Congress who favors withdrawing from Afghanistan.

This is it people, the end is coming. lol

justinc.1089
10-05-2009, 05:33 PM
I can't believe it. There is actually another republican besides Ron Paul in Congress who favors withdrawing from Afghanistan.

This is it people, the end is coming. lol

He is only doing it because he sees Obama sending more troops there so he figures since he is a Republican he should oppose it lol.

I don't think this matters too much because they won't do it. If they would do it then it would have been done a long time ago.

nobody's_hero
10-05-2009, 05:36 PM
What about that Walter guy from North Carolina? Walter Jones? He says he regrets sending our boys to Iraq. I'm sure he'd co-sponsor this one.

Uriel999
10-05-2009, 05:39 PM

"Why?", I asked.

I lol'd.

orafi
10-05-2009, 05:54 PM

"Why?", I asked.

That could be such a HIT or MISS joke!

rprprs
10-05-2009, 06:28 PM
But even if they were hit, they could easily rebuild them.. for PENNEY'S.

emazur
10-05-2009, 06:49 PM
What about that Walter guy from North Carolina? Walter Jones? He says he regrets sending our boys to Iraq. I'm sure he'd co-sponsor this one.

Johnson and Jones both voted to craft an exit strategy for Afghanistan a couple months ago - only 7 Republicans voted in favor:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=213272

I support Johnson introducing this legislation, but unfortunately the GOP is waaay to one-sided for it to pass. I have heard some in the GOP (surprisingly, McCain) say we should escalate the troops as McChrystal wants or get out, but I was watching Lou Dobbs today and Obama's press sec. said withdrawal is not an option that Obama is considering. It would be odd but welcome if Obama ignored McChrystal's wish and the GOP decided to vote to withdraw from Afghan.

cheapseats
10-05-2009, 06:51 PM
But even if they were hit, they could easily rebuild them.. for PENNEY'S.

If they would make it a LONG'S, it is less likely that one missile would take out the whole franchise. They are more likely, however, to need a Rite Aid.

cheapseats
10-05-2009, 06:52 PM
MindOfMo Rep. Tim Johnson (R-IL) to sponsor bill calling for immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan. FINALLY, a Statesman. I spy Hope.
5 minutes ago from web

MindOfMo HEADS UP TO WAR MONGERS OF CLAIMED RELIGIOSITY: YOU'LL HAVE TO GET PAST PEOPLE LIKE ME TO GET INTO HEAVEN. WE'LL EEK IN, AND BE BOUNCERS.
1 minute ago from web

davesxj
10-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Maybe it's so they can start doing this more..

http://www.pr-inside.com/u-s-senate-candidate-martial-law-needed-r1504502.htm

rp08orbust
10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
He is only doing it because he sees Obama sending more troops there so he figures since he is a Republican he should oppose it lol.

I don't think this matters too much because they won't do it. If they would do it then it would have been done a long time ago.

Johnson probably holds the Glenn Beck position on Afghanistan: We need to either scare the bejesus out of the Muslim world by fire-bombing the Middle East into oblivion, or get out ASAP. In other words, war is always justified as long as you "win". Since it doesn't look like we're going to "win" in Afghanistan at the current rate we're going (i.e., not all Muslims will be dead by 2012), we need to save face and get out.

To mods: Sorry, didn't mean to start a YAGB thread ;)

rp08orbust
10-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Maybe it's so they can start doing this more..

http://www.pr-inside.com/u-s-senate-candidate-martial-law-needed-r1504502.htm

Crap, I keep looking up to see if it's The Onion...

Liberty Star
10-05-2009, 09:55 PM
GOP is starting to become party of 'cut n run', unbelievable.