PDA

View Full Version : Meg Whitman and a Goldman Sachs kickback?

Brian4Liberty
10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
More interesting revelations in the California Governor's race...

Chris Kelly
Writer, Real Time with Bill Maher
Posted: May 13, 2009 04:41 AM
Meg Whitman Week -- Wednesday: A Tawdry Episode

"Why did she risk the assault on her integrity and that of the company she has run so well? She certainly didn't need the money. Nor could she have been unaware of how unfair the practice is to small shareholders."

-- William G. Flanagan, Dirty Rotten CEOs, on Meg Whitman

"It's time to run California like a business."

-- Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman isn't the richest woman in California. She's only the fourth richest. In fact, she's barely the 897th richest person in the universe. And voters get that. That's what gives her that common touch you just wouldn't get from Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

And Meg Whitman earned her money herself. All $1.4 billion of it. It came from perseverance, patience and long hard honest work. Except for the $1.78 million from Goldman Sachs. Which she stole.

But she gave it back when they caught her. (Maybe there's a campaign slogan in that: "Whitman for Governor. If You Catch Me Stealing I'll Give it Back.") And the whole incident made her feel just awful.

She not only returned the cash, she emailed this note:

"The last 24 hours have been painful for me. There is nothing worse than having your integrity questioned under circumstances where you know that you did nothing wrong and followed all the rules. Given my experience yesterday, I plan to participate in the growing national debate about corporate governance and business ethics."

And since that day, her life has been charted by one lodestar and driven by one idea: The rules of corporate governance and business ethics must be loosened up.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

It's like this:

Meg Whitman was the CEO of eBay. EBay's investment bankers were Goldman Sachs. EBay didn't have to hire Goldman Sachs to be their investment bankers, because this was a few years ago, when there were lots of banks, and not just the three we keep bailing out. Goldman Sachs was very grateful for eBay's business and they had a special way of showing their gratitude to eBay's executives. Goldman Sachs would let them buy shares in other companies whose initial public offerings they were underwriting. This was during the dot-com era and IPO companies often posted huge first-day gains. After Meg Whitman brought eBay's business to Goldman Sachs, she bought shares in 100 Goldman Sachs IPOs one day and sold them the next day. She made 1.78 million dollars.

It was a good day's work.

Don't think of it as a kickback. Think of it like Discover, the Card that Pays You Back.

Former SEC commissioner Steve Wallman had a less nice way to describe it:

"It's a black-and-white corporate bribery issue."

Who else was getting Goldman Sachs' insider trading frequent flier miles? People like the hardworking executives at WorldCom and Enron chairman Kenny Lay.

The process was called "spinning." Sorry, you're not allowed to do it anymore.

In 2002, a House Financial Services Committee found out about it. And so did eBay stockholders, who then sued their own executives for breaching their fiduciary responsibilities to the company by insider trading and not bringing enough for everyone.

Whitman and other eBay executives settled the suit by paying three million dollars, while denying that any of the allegations were true. Goldman Sachs kicked in another 300 grand.

By complete and total coincidence, Meg Whitman had been given a seat on the board of Goldman Sachs. She was forced to resign in disgrace. She'd been there 14 months. Which reminds me of my favorite line from Wall Street:

"You'll have the shortest executive career since that Pope that got poisoned."

It must have hurt. To a grade-grubbing ass-kissing resume-polisher like Meg Whitman it must have really, really hurt.

I think it's the whole reason she's running for governor. I think she doesn't just prattle on about cutting unfair regulations all the time because it's a Republican talking point. It's personal. She broke a rule. So the rules must be wrong.

I think what she really wants is vindication for her shame.

I don't think she wants to be governor for the fame or the power. And she's made it abundantly clear that she doesn't want the job so she can help anyone.

I think she thinks the people of California are the tools of her absolution.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-kelly/meg-whitman-week---wednes_b_202767.html

Brian4Liberty
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Henry Paulson gives Meg a big thumbs up!

Meg Whitman Joins Goldman Sachs' Board of Directors

October 1, 2001

NEW YORK – The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (NYSE:GS) announced today that Meg Whitman, President and Chief Executive Officer of eBay Inc., has joined its Board of Directors. eBay is the world's online marketplace for the sale of goods and services by a diverse community of individuals and businesses. It is the most popular shopping site on the Internet, when measured by total user minutes, with 34.1 million registered users worldwide. In 2000, eBay realized gross merchandise sales of more than $5 billion.

"Meg Whitman is one of the most dynamic and forward-looking leaders in business today," said Henry M. Paulson, Jr., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Goldman Sachs. "She is an outstanding addition to our Board, and we look forward to working with her."

Ms. Whitman joined eBay in 1998, from Hasbro, where she was general manager of the Preschool Division. Prior to that position, she was president and CEO of Florists Transworld Delivery (FTD), the world's largest floral products company, and before that, president of the Stride Rite Corporation's Stride Rite division. She has held senior marketing and brand marketing positions at Walt Disney Company, and Procter & Gamble and has also worked at consulting firm Bain & Co. She earned a B.A. in Economics from Princeton University, and an M.B.A. from the Harvard Business School.

angelatc
10-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Henry Paulson gives Meg a big thumbs up!

So does Barbara Boxer!

Meg Whitman, the 2010 GOP gubernatorial candidate already on the defensive for her embarrassingly poor voting record, once endorsed and actively supported Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer, one of the most proudly liberal politicians in California.

Whitman not only endorsed Boxer and donated the maximum $4,000 to the junior California senator's 2004 re-election campaign, but the former eBay CEO also served on an exclusive committee of Technology Leaders for Boxer in her re-election battle against Republican California Secretary of State Bill Jones,

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/02/MN2L1A0CQM.DTL#ixzz0T5jU6kPw

cheapseats
10-05-2009, 01:38 PM
MindOfMo IT BEHOOVES AMERICANS TO SHAKE HANDS ON A PACT TO BLACKBALL FORMER GOLDMAN SACHS EMPLOYEES & EXECUTIVES IN THE 2010 ELECTIONS. ALSO IN 2012.
less than a minute ago from web

Brian4Liberty
10-05-2009, 03:59 PM
MindOfMo IT BEHOOVES AMERICANS TO SHAKE HANDS ON A PACT TO BLACKBALL FORMER GOLDMAN SACHS EMPLOYEES & EXECUTIVES IN THE 2010 ELECTIONS. ALSO IN 2012.
less than a minute ago from web

Follow the money too...who is getting donations from GS?

cheapseats
10-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Follow the money too...who is getting donations from GS?

Yes yes yes, absolutely.

YES WE CAN make Goldman Sachs a pariah.

Plenty 'o Unemployed to picket country clubs and restaurants and other hoity toity places whose owners/managers/staff treat Rich Scumbags obsequiously. Midas-grade Power Mongers THRIVE on being Big Swinging Dicks in society. The "grown-up" version of B.M.O.C. Latter day Frat Brats.

Let us learn where their spouses shop and have their beauty treatments. Let us learn the prices that they are dropping on trinkets and injections.

In which private academies are their Trophy Children snugly ensconced? What is the tuition?

Privately, Scumbags and Scallawags lead Lives Of Riley only because the most snooped-upon generation in American history declines to turn the tables. Unless I very much miss my mark, there is a lucrative market in tabloids that are a grade above those at grocery check outs. We're tired of dirt on the same old celebrities. We have graduated to an appetite for dirt on high-powered Executives and low-principled Politicos.

Goldman Sachs is NOT a friend of the People. Clearly. Ergo, friends of Goldman Sachs are not friends of the People and should not represent the People.

Tell me who your friends are, and I'll tell you who YOU are.

HOLLYWOOD
10-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Meg Whitman donating to that Marxist Fem Nazi Barbara Boxer? Well checkout Whitman's other antics!

This SHyt on Meg Whitmen, EBay, and borrowing from the taxpayers while having corporate off shore accounts to avoid paying taxes. the comments section has some nice rebuttals.

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2008/10/1224442789.html

eBay Borrows $1 Billion while $3 Billion Sits Offshore
By: Ina Steiner Sun Oct 19 2008 14:59:49
http://blog.auctionbytes.com/blog/uploads/MegWhitmanwithFlagMAY2008.JPG
With the United States economy strapped for cash, eBay has decided to drain (http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE49G7L420081017) $1 billion from U.S. sources (banks**) while it keeps three times that much cash tucked away offshore.* There is something that just seems plain unpatriotic about it. While eBay's Board is no doubt "acting in the interest of shareholders" when it avoids paying taxes, it's especially grating considering eBay's Meg Whitman is angling (http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2008/10/1223432071.html) for the post of United States Secretary of the Treasury, and eBay's founder Pierre Omidyar (owner of 178 million shares), plays the part of anti-Republican philanthropist.
The $1 billion loan goes to fund eBay's purchase of Bill Me Later, whose two major assets are consumer debt - $550 million in receivables - and the skill-set to issue more consumer debt.
In the meantime, eBay is squeezing its entrepreneurs by placing 21-day holds (http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y08/m02/i08/s03) on payments. That means that some of the small businesses who sell on eBay and accept PayPal have to ship product to customers - having paid out of pocket for inventory and for shipping - and wait 3 weeks before they get the customer's money. The seller's cash sits in PayPal's account while he or she deals with cash-flow issues.
What's troublesome with complaints of overreaching (http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?messageID=520702492?) of such policies is that there's no oversight. Who exactly are you supposed to complain to if you think your funds are being held without cause - eBay's customer service department?
* In an answer to Scott Devitt (Stifel Nicolaus) during Wednesday's conference call (http://seekingalpha.com/article/100112-ebay-q3-2008-earnings-call-transcript) with analysts, eBay's CFO Bob Swan said: "Thanks, Scott. You know, we end the quarter, you're right, with $3.3 billion in cash. As you know, the reality of that cash is about $400 million sits here in the U.S. and the rest of it off-shore, so the inherent flexibility we have to use our strong balance sheet and our strong cash flows here domestically has a pretty severe tax rate penalty associated with it. So that's a constraint that we have to deal with,..."
(Note that 47% of eBay's net revenue comes from the US, and 53% from international.)**
** From eBay's SEC filings (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1065088/000129993308004862/htm_29492.htm) about the $1 billion revolving credit facility withdrawal: Bank of America, N.A., as Administrative Agent (the "Agent"); certain lenders named therein; JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., as Syndication Agents; and Banc of America Securities LLC, J.P. Morgan Securities Inc. and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., as Joint Lead Arrangers and Joint Book Managers
Updated to add the second footnote.

angelatc
10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
This SHyt on Meg Whitmen, EBay, and borrowing from the taxpayers while having corporate off shore accounts to avoid paying taxes. the comments section has some nice rebuttals.

That was Oct 08. Whitman left eBay in Jan 08.

Brian4Liberty
04-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Funny how Meg Whitman's Goldman Sachs connections are rarely mentioned, especially now that Goldman Sachs is supposedly being investigated.