PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: "Bombs and Bribes" 10/05/09

Reason
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Texas Straight Talk
A weekly column
Bombs and Bribes

What if tomorrow morning you woke up to headlines that yet another Chinese drone bombing on US soil killed several dozen ranchers in a rural community while they were sleeping? That a drone aircraft had come across the Canadian border in the middle of the night and carried out the latest of many attacks? What if it was claimed that many of the victims harbored anti-Chinese sentiments, but most of the dead were innocent women and children? And what if the Chinese administration, in an effort to improve its public image in the US, had approved an aid package to send funds to help with American roads and schools and promote Chinese values here?
Most Americans would not stand for it. Yet the above hypothetical events are similar to what our government is doing in Pakistan. Last week, Congress did approve an aid package for Pakistan for the stated purposes of improving our image and promoting democracy. I again made the point on the floor of the House that still no one seems to hear: What if this happened on US soil? What if innocent Americans were being killed in repeated drone attacks carried out by some foreign force who was trying to fix our problems for us? Would sending money help their image? If another nation committed this type of violence and destruction on our homeland, would we be at all interested in adopting their values?
Sadly, one thing that has entirely escaped modern American foreign policy is empathy. Without much humility or regard for human life, our foreign policy has been reduced to alternately bribing and bombing other nations, all with the stated goal of “promoting democracy”. But if a country democratically elects a leader who is not sufficiently pro-American, our government will refuse to recognize them, will impose sanctions on them, and will possibly even support covert efforts to remove them. Democracy is obviously not what we are interested in. It is more likely that our government is interested in imposing its will on other governments. This policy of endless intervention in the affairs of others is very damaging to American liberty and security.
If we were really interested in democracy, peace, prosperity and safety, we would pursue more free trade with other countries. Free and abundant trade is much more conducive to peace because it is generally bad business to kill your customers. When one’s livelihood is on the line, and the business agreements are mutually beneficial, it is in everyone’s best interests to maintain cooperative and friendly relations and not kill each other. But instead, to force other countries to bend to our will, we impose trade barriers and sanctions. If our government really wanted to promote freedom, Americans would be free to travel and trade with whoever they wished. And, if we would simply look at our own policies around the world through the eyes of others, we would understand how these actions make us more targeted and therefore less safe from terrorism. The only answer is get back to free trade with all and entangling alliances with none. It is our bombs and sanctions and condescending aid packages that isolate us.
Posted by Ron Paul (10-05-2009, 12:13 PM) filed under Foreign Policy (http://www.house.gov/htbin/blog_inc?BLOG,tx14_paul,blog/Foreign%20Policy,999,All,No%20Category%20found,TEM PLATE=blog_bycat.shtml)

Reason
10-05-2009, 12:04 PM
lolololol look at this reponse that I got when I emailed out Ron Paul's post,

"This is a bunch of shit ya it sucks at what it has come to but are u forgetting what exactly happened on 9/11 ? We should be mad and we should be standing up for ourselves yes innocent people are being brought into this but many innocent american people were killed for their stupid cause on 9/11 I'm sorry that u hate america but our country is doing the best it can"

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-05-2009, 12:10 PM

"This is a bunch of shit ya it sucks at what it has come to but are u forgetting what exactly happened on 9/11 ? We should be mad and we should be standing up for ourselves yes innocent people are being brought into this but many innocent american people were killed for their stupid cause on 9/11 I'm sorry that u hate america but our country is doing the best it can"

God bless the Indoctrination Camps, errr excuse me, Public Schools!

teacherone
10-05-2009, 12:14 PM
send him a trojan horse, hack into his computer, and play subliminal messages of liberty while he sleeps.

Reason
10-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I sent her this text,

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=211039

and a link to this documentary,

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=207920

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I guess the idiots who spout that shit never got taught about Lexington and Concord and the conditions that brought that about.....:rolleyes:

qwerty
10-05-2009, 12:21 PM
YouTube - Ron Paul : Bombs and Bribes 10/5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZLjp8Bv9_M)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/9r26h/ron_paul_bombs_and_bribes_105/

YumYum
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Who did you get this resonse from? Lindsey Graham?

Reason
10-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Who did you get this resonse from? Lindsey Graham?

A friend of a friend, 20 year old oblivious college girl, comes from a very stereotypical right wing family that puts their massive commercialized christian church/rock concert hall on a very tall pedestal. :rolleyes: