PDA

View Full Version : Mission Creep and the Southern Poverty Law Center's Misguided Focus

bobbyw24
10-05-2009, 04:37 AM
Mission Creep and the Southern Poverty Law Center's Misguided Focus

In case you missed the story, last November 4th a polling precinct in Philadelphia, PA was patrolled by an organization called the New Black Panther Party, a Marxist group that in 2000, was listed by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a racial hate group. Video footage shot in 2008, show Black Panther precinct workers intimidating white voters. This was covered by the news organizations, and resulted in charges being filed by the Bush Department of Justice, whose job it is to defend and protect the voting rights of all Americans.

What should have been an open and shut case has become something more troubling, after the Eric Holder-led Justice Department dropped charges against the Black Panthers, who supported President Obama. Currently, this decision to drop the charges, is being challenged by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, (an organization with which I am affiliated).

Now this is the part where things really get interesting.

The SPLC has been mum on the issue, despite the fact that in 2000, it included the New Black Panther Party among its annual list of hate groups. In fact, what is most shocking is that the SPLC has spent far more resources hounding conservative organizations, such as the Center for Immigration Studies, and prominent citizens like CNN's award-winning anchor Lou Dobbs, than it has protecting the civil rights of American voters, which includes white people as well as black. The unrelenting attacks on Mr. Dobbs and others are shameless. The once venerable organization wages war against conservative individuals, principles, and organizations. How unfortunate for America. How unfortunate for the organization's founders.

There is a name for what has happened. It is called "mission creep." Mission creep occurs when an organization strays beyond its original purpose and engages in actions antithetical to its goals. Rather than monitoring hate groups, the Southern Poverty Law Center has become one.

Follow Carol M. Swain on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CMSwain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-m-swain/mission-creep-and-the-sou_b_255029.html

lynnf
10-05-2009, 05:03 AM
there's no poverty at the Southern Poverty Law Center.... they have a $200 million war chest.....

your chance to show up and let them know what you think.....

Morris Dees, of the Southern Poverty Law Center, will be a guest speaker on the UT-Arlington campus on Wednesday evening, 7 P.M., Oct. 7th, 2009.

The lecture will be in the E.H. Hereford University Center, 300 W. First St., Arlington, TX, on the UT-Arlington campus.

The lecture is free, but tickets are required. Advance tickets – www.utatickets.com . Limited seating.

--------------------------------------

lynn

Deborah K
10-05-2009, 10:10 AM
They are behind the MIAC report as well as this one: http://www.splcenter.org/images/dynamic/main/The_Second_Wave.pdf This report was sent to DHS. It is packed with lies. The compound listed - Camp Vigilance- belongs to the minuteman org. that I have been a member of for three years. This report accuses us of being homegrown terrorists.

catdd
10-05-2009, 11:10 AM
They are behind the MIAC report as well as this one: http://www.splcenter.org/images/dynamic/main/The_Second_Wave.pdf This report was sent to DHS. It is packed with lies. The compound listed - Camp Vigilance- belongs to the minuteman org. that I have been a member of for three years. This report accuses us of being homegrown terrorists.

And the DHS should be investigated and/or disbanded for accepting reports from a left-wing extremist hate group as if it were a legitimate means of collecting data. I keep saying that it is criminal injustice.

stu2002
10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
and the dhs should be investigated and/or disbanded for accepting reports from a left-wing extremist hate group as if it were a legitimate means of collecting data. I keep saying that it is criminal injustice.

amen

bobbyw24
10-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Mediocre Grade for the SPLC's Latest Report
On October 5th, 2009 bobbyw24 says:

Mediocre Grade for the Southern Poverty Law Center's Latest Report

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost...

Yesterday, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) released a new report titled, "The Second Wave: Return of the Militias.," http://www.splcenter.org/... In my humble opinion, it deserves a C minus for its glaring lack of rigor. Instead of providing readers with a systematic analysis and hard data supporting its warning about a growing threat, the SPLC's report was chocked full of vague generalities and unnamed sources. Most importantly, it made no serious effort to distinguish between individuals exercising their constitutional rights and groups that might actually pose a threat to society.

Clearly, the SPLC's compiled this report hastily. Further, the timing of its release is suspect. On Monday, I published a blog accusing the organization of having fallen victim to "mission creep." (Mission creep occurs when an organization strays from its original purpose and begins to engage in action antithetical to its original goals.) My biggest complaint is that the organization has strayed away from the task of targeting hate groups on a race neutral basis. Now, it uses its vast resources and public trust to pursue conservative groups and individuals in the media who cover issues the SPLC would prefer ignored. These issues include social movements and the legitimate concerns of Americans who don't normally have the ear of politicians and other elites. America will never heal herself as long as free speech is suppressed.

Follow Carol M. Swain on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CMSwain

* Civil Rights

Related News On Huffington Post:
[Militia Groups On ] Officials See Rise In Militia Groups Across US
WASHINGTON — Militia groups with gripes against the government are regrouping across the country and could grow rapidly, according to an

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-m-swain/mediocre-grade-for-the-so_b_258717.html

catdd
10-05-2009, 04:33 PM
They create most of these "problems" out of thin air the same way the FR creates FRNs.
They create problems to give themselves credibility.
I think it should be clear enough that Michael Chertoff and Morris Dees are scratching each others backs for the leftist, gun-grabbing agenda.

acptulsa
10-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Mission creep.

Half of the bureaucracies in Washington are there because the agency originally founded to do the job mission creeped right off the map...