PDA

View Full Version : Man arrested for using Twitter to give police locations at G20 protests

amy31416
10-04-2009, 05:20 PM
This is illegal?

NEW YORK — A self-described New York City anarchist has been accused of tweeting the location of police officers to protesters trying to evade them during the Group of 20 economic summit in Pittsburgh.

Pennsylvania State Police arrested Elliot Madison alleging he used Twitter to direct the movement of protesters and inform them about law enforcement actions at last month's summit.

The New York Post reported the arrest in Saturday editions.

Court papers filed by Madison's attorney say FBI agents executed a search warrant at the 41-year-old's Queens home on Thursday. They seized computers, political writings and anarchist literature.

Madison faces charges including hindering prosecution.

His attorney didn't immediately return a call requesting comment Saturday.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/04/elliot-madison-accused-of_n_309042.html

If you do go to HP, the comments at least indicate that they're waking up to the fascist tactics being used under Obama--a good thing, in my opinion.

forsmant
10-04-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't think that should be illegal. Set him free ass hats.

puppetmaster
10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
onion?

If not then when are people going to get pissed off

coyote_sprit
10-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Are we in USSR?

Uriel999
10-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Are we in USSR?

Duh comrade.

phill4paul
10-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Because "political writings and anarchist literature" surely need to be seized.:rolleyes:

Dionysus
10-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Well, if he was intending to help them commit a crime, then he broke the law and should be arrested. But it seems that would be hard to prove. I mean, certainly the college kids who were trapped, gassed, and beaten would've had an interest in avoiding the rampaging cops and LRAD.
Also, how is this different from talking on the phone to your wife and mentioning that you just saw a lot of cops massing and banging on their shields? It's not. They're mad because people have the internet. And, yes, political literature and anarchist writings were seized? Is there going to be a big bonfire of political literature in DC tonight?

angelatc
10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
This is illegal?

Probably not. I know that it didn't used to be illegal to warn oncoming drivers of traffic enforcement efforts, and this would seem to be the same type thing.

They probably have him for obstructing justice or something.

amy31416
10-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Probably not. I know that it didn't used to be illegal to warn oncoming drivers of traffic enforcement efforts, and this would seem to be the same type thing.

They probably have him for obstructing justice or something.

Hmm, good point. I think cops can pull you over for flashing your lights to warn oncoming traffic of a cop laying in wait for speeders. Essentially, you're obstructing the cop's ability to meet a quota, but when it comes to warning people not to go somewhere that they'll get gassed, beaten or worse--is that different? Is it aiding or abetting people who were "illegally" protesting without a permit?

It pisses me off that I even have to ask this shit.

pcosmar
10-04-2009, 05:46 PM
onion?

If not then when are people going to get pissed off

I'm sure some are going to write very strongly worded letters.

phill4paul
10-04-2009, 05:47 PM

Felony charges for paper cuts? :p;) Best to use safety paper!

Dreamofunity
10-04-2009, 06:01 PM
The seizure of political writting and literature is what concerns me.

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-04-2009, 06:05 PM
nt

angelatc
10-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Hmm, good point. I think cops can pull you over for flashing your lights to warn oncoming traffic of a cop laying in wait for speeders. Essentially, you're obstructing the cop's ability to meet a quota, but when it comes to warning people not to go somewhere that they'll get gassed, beaten or worse--is that different? Is it aiding or abetting people who were "illegally" protesting without a permit?

It pisses me off that I even have to ask this shit.

That flashing lights thing didn't used to be illegal. Last I heard, which was a few years back, was that it was an infringement on free speech.

amy31416
10-04-2009, 06:09 PM
That flashing lights thing didn't used to be illegal. Last I heard, which was a few years back, was that it was an infringement on free speech.

Best news I've heard all day.

LibertyWorker
10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
More on this story

According to the criminal complaint, officers acting on a tip arrested Madison at the Carefree Inn on Kisow Drive in Pittsburgh. The complaint said Madison and another man were found in a room in front of computers and telecommunications equipment, wearing headphones, and surrounded by maps, contact numbers and police and emergency scanners. The men were communicating with protesters by cell phone and Internet, including Twitter, the complaint said.

link (http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/nation_world/20091003_ap_nymanaccusedoftweetingcopactionsatprot ests.html)

BarryDonegan
10-04-2009, 06:49 PM
that is absolutely something that the police have no right to arrest them for. we aren't allowed to talk about where police are located? in public?

phill4paul
10-04-2009, 06:51 PM
More on this story

According to the criminal complaint, officers acting on a tip arrested Madison at the Carefree Inn on Kisow Drive in Pittsburgh. The complaint said Madison and another man were found in a room in front of computers and telecommunications equipment, wearing headphones, and surrounded by maps, contact numbers and police and emergency scanners. The men were communicating with protesters by cell phone and Internet, including Twitter, the complaint said.

link (http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/nation_world/20091003_ap_nymanaccusedoftweetingcopactionsatprot ests.html)

What a crock of shit! They can spy on us, but we can't run ops on THEM? Too hell w/ them. Anyone that doesn't understand we are in a war just does not get it.

pcosmar
10-04-2009, 07:05 PM
What a crock of shit! They can spy on us, but we can't run ops on THEM? Too hell w/ them. Anyone that doesn't understand we are in a war just does not get it.

And ye shall know the truth,
And the truth shall set you free.

phill4paul
10-04-2009, 07:14 PM
And ye shall know the truth,
And the truth shall set you free.

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

LibertyWorker
10-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Ten bucks says the tip came from his own cell phone company and the ISP the hotel use's

People,don't you get it we pay a monthly bill for our own surveillance.

BenIsForRon
10-04-2009, 07:23 PM
What's fucked up about this is that they're basically saying that all the protesters were criminals. You can't be obstructing justice if you're just talking to normal folks who haven't broken any laws.

newbitech
10-04-2009, 09:19 PM
More on this story

What the hell? How did the person that made the complaint know what they were doing in order to make a complaint? Were they peaking through the window? Was it the hotel owner? I mean really who the hell was following these guys around?

Sounds to me like they had their position triangulated by milspecs operating in the area. I doubt a hotel owner is going to care what is going on in the rooms or report people having headphones on etc etc etc.

A tip.... sure a tip from the spooks operating in the area. This reeks of counter intelligence ops by NSA...

jake
10-04-2009, 11:41 PM

oh come on, at the very least people will call on the telephone and use a stern tone of voice to express their moderate level of displeasure in regards to this incident..

Razmear
10-04-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm sure the ACLU will be all over this one, kid won't need a public defender.

eb

Reason
10-05-2009, 01:38 AM

As compared to what you were planning to do about this? ;)

pcosmar
10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
As compared to what you were planning to do about this? ;)
Are you suggesting that I have other "Plans"?
Or are you trying to invite a response that would violate Forum Guidelines?

What should be done and what will be done are vastly different. I was mearly pointing out that Nothing will be done.
Expect more of the same and worse.

BenIsForRon
10-06-2009, 05:40 AM
CNN actually covered it, mainly because it had something to do with twitter, and they have a boner for that website. They talked to a guy from ACLU, calling the action "A war on demonstrators"

http://rawstory.com/2009/10/g20-protester-arrested-for-twitter/

video is at bottom of page

TonySutton
10-06-2009, 06:27 AM
If anarchists think the only people in their midst are other like minded anarchists they are only fooling themselves. Look for the one with the biggest mouth, throwing the first rock.

Reason
10-06-2009, 09:11 AM
YouTube - 2 People Arrested For Texting G20 Protesters Police Locations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFodRmf4HQM)

amy31416
10-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the Tube, CivilRadiant--I saw that it actually got some coverage yesterday and was glad to see it.

It's sad, but I think the lesson to be learned is to go old-school. Walkie-talkies.

Rael
10-06-2009, 12:48 PM
this is going to get thrown out of court. I see lawsuits coming over this.

mport1
10-06-2009, 12:54 PM
It doesn't matter what is or is not legal. They do what they want and get away with it. That is the problem with having the state in monopoly control of courts and the police.

angelatc
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
If anarchists think the only people in their midst are other like minded anarchists they are only fooling themselves. Look for the one with the biggest mouth, throwing the first rock.

I think the anarchists probably know that. It's mainstream America that doesn't.

Bucjason
10-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Come on guys. Anarchists bring this crap on themselves.

If they could learn to protest peacefully , instead of wearing masks to hide thier identity ( why wear masks unless you plan on causing trouble?), and then going around throwing rocks at the police and destroying the private property of business owners, then they wouldn't have to worry about the police trying to arrest them. The reason this moron was probably arrested, was for "aiding and abettting" a crime. The crime was those I just listed above - throwing rocks and destroying property. It's the same reason you get arrested if you pick up a bank robber in your car and drive him to safety....

Reason
10-06-2009, 01:20 PM

If they could learn to protest peacefully , instead of wearing masks to hide thier identity ( why wear masks unless you plan on causing trouble?), and then going around throwing rocks at the police and destroying the private property of business owners, then they wouldn't have to worry about the police trying to arrest them. The reason this moron was probably arrested, was for "aiding and abettting" a crime. The crime was those I just listed above - throwing rocks and destroying property. It's the same reason you get arrested if you pick up a bank robber in your car and drive him to safety....

1. They were not all anarchists.

2. It was not even a majority of anarchists.

3. The police don't give a fuck if they were or not.

4. Agent provocateurs

5. This is about our freedom to communicate to each other about what the govt. is doing.

pcosmar
10-06-2009, 01:29 PM

Anarchists?
You mean like these guys?
http://www.goldenlakeinstitute.ca/Images/Library/Provocateur_Montebello_070820_YouTube.jpg
http://www.metrocinema.org/media/large/2009/08/youMeSPP.jpg
http://manlymedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/9.-Dave-coles-&-agents-SS.jpg

They are Police Officers. Agent Provocateurs.
Get a grip on reality.

Bucjason
10-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Funny , the police had no problem with any of the hundreds of thousands that marched peacefully on Washington D.C. on Sept. 12th , but by total coincidence ,whenever anarchists are involved , suddenly the police are evil liberty-hating tyrants??

The only time the riot police need to be called out is when these masked hooligans show up.
They are the lowest common denominator here. Figure it out , guys.

YouTube - Anarchists took control of St. Paul during RNC police admit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkZvtGCh5YA&feature=related)

Dr.3D
10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the Tube, CivilRadiant--I saw that it actually got some coverage yesterday and was glad to see it.

It's sad, but I think the lesson to be learned is to go old-school. Walkie-talkies.

My thoughts exactly.
This should be a learning experience for us. Not that we are violent or dangerous in our protests, but rather so we know what works and does not work in the event the situation should turn violent towards us.

I was listening to that video in the post above and notice they were claiming these people were "helping protesters avoid being apprehended" after being told to disperse.

Now this makes me very confused. Just how does one disperse and not be avoiding apprehension? If they were telling people to disperse or they would be arrested, then those dispersing should be able to legally avoid apprehension. Those who had been apprehended for not dispersing would not be listening to the reports about where the police are, because they would be with the police.

I'm very confused how they can claim those people were helping protesters avoid apprehension. Wasn't the object of the police to disperse rather than apprehend? And then wouldn't the police have already apprehended those who had not dispersed? As long as people are free to move away from the police, and they are doing so, no matter how slowly, they should be considered as dispersing and thus should not be targets for apprehension.

pcosmar
10-06-2009, 05:04 PM
The only time the riot police need to be called out is when these masked hooligans show up.
They are the lowest common denominator here. Figure it out , guys.

No, you need to "figure it out". The Black Bloc "anarchists" ARE the police.
Good luck getting them to arrest their own.
They are there specifically to give the riot police an excuse.

Dieseler
10-06-2009, 05:12 PM
No, you need to "figure it out". The Black Bloc "anarchists" ARE the police.
Good luck getting them to arrest their own.
They are there specifically to give the riot police an excuse.

I thought that was what he meant pcosmar, heh.

pcosmar
10-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I thought that was what he meant pcosmar, heh.

Perhaps,
So often folks are justifying police thugs, I may have missed him making that connection.
If so I am sorry.
The first End the Fed rallies had some show up, but organizers were ready for them and didn't let them play. But that didn't stop them from trying.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/provocateurs-at-end-the-fed-rally.html

BenIsForRon
10-06-2009, 05:44 PM
PCOSMAR, BRANDONYNATES, both you guys are taking extreme positions without thinking.

Brandonynates, you know 99.9% of anarchists are nonviolent, it's the small number of angsty assholes who want to tear shit up... and HALF of those angsty assholes are actually COPS. However, there are a very small number of legitimate angsty assholes, and we need to weed them out as well as the cops at future protests. And by the way, 9-12 was a joke, that's why no riot cops were there. Those Hannity-bots have no idea what's really happening behind the scenes, they just hate Obama because FOX tells them to.

Pcosmar, you're right that most of the violent ones are cops, but you know that there are some violent anarchists out there, which makes this situation much more complicated.

pcosmar
10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
PCOSMAR, BRANDONYNATES, both you guys are taking extreme positions without thinking.

Pcosmar, you're right that most of the violent ones are cops, but you know that there are some violent anarchists out there, which makes this situation much more complicated.

I never denied that. But it was apparent that the violence was given free reign in the Seattle riots while the police stood down.
Then the police attacked the peaceful protesters. There is even some evidence that the police housed and protected the violent anarchists.

They have only been caught "red handed" (on video) one time. But the MO is repeated over and over again.

american.swan
10-06-2009, 05:53 PM
IF I were to do this kind of thing, I'd be careful....like.....

TWEET: hi hows it goin? I'm at Lincoln and Broadway with my friends. Chillin' Few cops hangin around. 4Some reason. Coffee tastes great.

BenIsForRon
10-06-2009, 05:53 PM
No doubt, brandonynates is definitely playing into the narrative... not helpful at all.

mport1
10-06-2009, 05:59 PM

If they could learn to protest peacefully , instead of wearing masks to hide thier identity ( why wear masks unless you plan on causing trouble?), and then going around throwing rocks at the police and destroying the private property of business owners, then they wouldn't have to worry about the police trying to arrest them.

The vast majority of real anarchists engage in peaceful activism realizing that you cannot achieve peace using violence. Check out http://www.FreeKeene.com for some of it.

Most of these violent people aren't anarchists. Anarchy just means no rulers, not no rules, chaos, or anything like that. Unfortunately, people now associate anarchy with violence and chaos because of these morons that self identify as or are labled anarchists.