PDA

View Full Version : First to Secede?

South Park Fan
10-03-2009, 10:15 PM
If/When the United States dissolve, which state do you think will be first to leave?

Jeremy
10-03-2009, 10:15 PM
New Hampshire

roho76
10-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Alaska or Texas.

Epic
10-03-2009, 10:22 PM
New Hampshire, just cause it's draining the libertarians from everywhere else.

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-03-2009, 10:35 PM
nt

justinc.1089
10-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm pulling for my home state South Carolina lol. We did it historically and we still lead the South kind of.

FSP-Rebel
10-03-2009, 10:38 PM
If the economic situation doesn't defeat the US 1st, I believe NH has the best opportunity to secede. Being in the 13 original colonies is a great bargaining chip since these states actually created the Constitution. States that were bought and paid for by the US gov or annexed would have a major uphill battle to split. And yes, NH is the only state that has fresh libertarians moving in all the time and is small enough (with large state representation) with many natives being energized for liberty all the time. A business partner, me and others have officially filed the 527 non-profit status for "10th Amendment NH" and we have many people who are signing on including statewide politicians. We plan to organize a rally sometime in the near future and are working on the Judge to speak at the event. We are organizing with Tea Party groups, the NHLA, LP/CP and the GOP in order to push this thing through (a law that forbids NH from following federal laws that supersede the state's 10 Amendment rights). At 1st, our mission isn't to secede, just to opt out of federal bullcrap. But depending on how things go, secession could be thrown out there down the line.

Oh, and our State Constitution allows for rebellion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Constitution#Article_10._Right_of_Re volution

Jeremy
10-03-2009, 10:48 PM
If the economic situation doesn't defeat the US 1st, I believe NH has the best opportunity to secede. Being in the 13 original colonies is a great bargaining chip since these states actually created the Constitution. States that were bought and paid for by the US gov or annexed would have a major uphill battle to split. And yes, NH is the only state that has fresh libertarians moving in all the time and is small enough (with large state representation) with many natives being energized for liberty all the time. A business partner, me and others have officially filed the 527 non-profit status for "10th Amendment NH" and we have many people who are signing on including statewide politicians. We plan to organize a rally sometime in the near future and are working on the Judge to speak at the event. We are organizing with Tea Party groups, the NHLA, LP/CP and the GOP in order to push this thing through (a law that forbids NH from following federal laws that supersede the state's 10 Amendment rights). At 1st, our mission isn't to secede, just to opt out of federal bullcrap. But depending on how things go, secession could be thrown out there down the line.

Oh, and our State Constitution allows for rebellion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Constitution#Article_10._Right_of_Re volution

Well back when they were colonies, I think New Hampshire was one of the more statist states. Rhode Island and Connecticut were the most libertarian. But that has obviously changed, lol.

justinc.1089
10-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Actually more seriously I doubt SC would be the first although I wish it would be.

Alaska is very likely to be the first in my opinion.

james1906
10-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Hawai`i

Liberty_Tree
10-03-2009, 10:56 PM
It might be Texas.

pappy
10-03-2009, 10:57 PM
i say
montana
alaska
hawaii
wyoming

are possibles

texas is too political and cosmopolitan in some areas:too many splinter groups for the whole state to do it

FSP-Rebel
10-03-2009, 11:07 PM
People, AK and HI cannot secede, they were paid for. If the feds gave them up, I'd faint. It will be NH or VT if any. MT and WY are landlocked so not good choices from the get-go. Plz, look at the big picture.

SC has some good things goin for it but I'm just not seein it happenin.

pcosmar
10-03-2009, 11:25 PM
The state of Superior.
But not till the crash and society descends into chaos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_%28proposed_U.S._state%29

justinc.1089
10-03-2009, 11:39 PM
People, AK and HI cannot secede, they were paid for. If the feds gave them up, I'd faint. It will be NH or VT if any. MT and WY are landlocked so not good choices from the get-go. Plz, look at the big picture.

SC isn't happening without drastic political changes sadly. Its probably not commonly known because from the outside SC looks extremely conservative, but there are liberal strongholds in certain parts of the state, its just that the conservative strongholds have held onto their strength.

And two districts here in SC may be turning blue which would actually mean SC might become a toss up in elections in the future, but its unlikely.

Still my point is SC is too divided right now to unite in secession unless drastic political changes occur.

FSP-Rebel
10-03-2009, 11:59 PM
SC isn't happening without drastic political changes sadly. Its probably not commonly known because from the outside SC looks extremely conservative, but there are liberal strongholds in certain parts of the state, its just that the conservative strongholds have held onto their strength.

And two districts here in SC may be turning blue which would actually mean SC might become a toss up in elections in the future, but its unlikely.

Still my point is SC is too divided right now to unite in secession unless drastic political changes occur.
So, come up here and help the cause brother. You'll have a way better chance to have your voice heard up in this neck of the woods, plus be along side many balls-to-the-wall liberty lovers - and those of us that scope out the scene and chip-in money to the cause. RP people have the best chance to exercise political clout here than any other state in this Revolution. I didn't want to move from Michigan but I did, it is so different here. Check it out for yourself, we are having the NH Liberty Forum in mid-March and The Judge will be here, plus either Rand or Peter, come and enjoy and meet us!

TortoiseDream
10-04-2009, 12:31 AM
NH or TX

ctiger2
10-04-2009, 12:34 AM
TX, WY, MT or NH. Whichever is the first to do so, I'm moving there.

lynnf
10-04-2009, 12:40 AM
if I were a betting man, my money would be on Montana.

Texas? ha, that's a laugh. Gov. Perry must have fooled
a lot of people with his pontifications!

lynn

justinc.1089
10-04-2009, 12:44 AM
So, come up here and help the cause brother. You'll have a way better chance to have your voice heard up in this neck of the woods, plus be along side many balls-to-the-wall liberty lovers - and those of us that scope out the scene and chip-in money to the cause. RP people have the best chance to exercise political clout here than any other state in this Revolution. I didn't want to move from Michigan but I did, it is so different here. Check it out for yourself, we are having the NH Liberty Forum in mid-March and The Judge will be here, plus either Rand or Peter, come and enjoy and meet us!

The thought crossed my mind the other day when the FSP had a money bomb.

I am going to certainly think about moving there later on after I graduate because it would be the best time to do it in my life probably if I ever do it. I mean I won't own a house or anything, or have a job or a family, so moving and starting off there wouldn't be that hard.

Edit:

I would sure hate the cold up there though being from SC lol!! But the good thing about that is that I would get to see real snow lol!! It only snows in SC once a decade, and thats only about 5-10 inches lol.

squarepusher
10-04-2009, 01:04 AM
id have to go with Texas

Promontorium
10-04-2009, 01:31 AM
When considering which state would be willing to first abandon the US, I wouldn't necessarily expect any state with a significant Libertarian population.

Having a complex and informed opinon on the government requires first caring about the government in some manner. I think states that ignore national politics, and are generally uneducated and hate the government would be the first to get out.

1. Hawaii. They haven't forgotten they lost their queen by the end of an American gun. They do not need American money, they have become the playground for Japan. They are also ethnocentric and appreciate their non-American heritage.

2. Texas. If you think people are only wary of Texas' loyalty from recent events, the lone starstate, has some other aspects that might require some attention.

3. California. Bordered by buffer states (desert, desert, rain forest) Californians don't really know crap about the rest of America. They'd learn more about America from TV, movies, etc. except 90% of all TV, movies, etc. are made in California, paid for by California, involving Californians, or simply expressing people in the other states talking like they're from California. If the rest of America fell off the map, California wouldn't realize it. Not that Californians could locate the rest of America on a map to begin with. Hell, I consider myself educated, I've travelled the world, but I still don't believe in New Hampshire. I think people say it's a state, but I swear I have no idea where or when this thing existed. Shires are in England. I don't know about this "American shire" business. Also 40% of the people in California are already citizens of Mexico. It won't take long for Baja and Alta California to finally reunite under the same flag.

Vessol
10-04-2009, 02:07 AM
Montana

Dreepa
10-04-2009, 07:19 AM
I live in NH. I moved with the FSP. (and encourage everyone to check out www.freestateproject.org)

I think VT will be the first to go.

(And I think it is 20 years or so off in the future if at all)

LittleLightShining
10-04-2009, 07:22 AM
New Hampshire, just cause it's draining the libertarians from everywhere else.
NH couldn't even pass a Sovereignty Resolution.

Chase
10-04-2009, 07:22 AM
As a proud Texan, how could I provide an answer any different?

ghengis86
10-04-2009, 07:42 AM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/38174.html

12th largest economy in the world, 40th largest in land mass and 47th in population.

i guess california would be viable by these metrics too, but it's interesting to consider

nobody's_hero
10-04-2009, 07:53 AM
The federal government left America a long time ago.

New Hampshire will probably be second, though.

emazur
10-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Whenever I hear talk of secession on the news, it's almost always Texas. This is from just 2 months ago:
YouTube - Texans call for ballot referendum for secession (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2GrpgywMro)
The other one I sometimes hear about is Vermont

Time for Change
10-04-2009, 09:18 AM
dont know, but I'll likely be going there!

james1906
10-04-2009, 09:18 AM

Of the 4 states that were countries at one time, only Hawai`i has annexed against its will. Hawai`i is 2000 miles away from North America. Hawai`i struggles to maintain a cultural identity. Hawaiian independence would garner support from other nations as a rejection of American empire.

I'm in Texas as well, but Hawai`i will be first to go.

Part of me does think that Lakotah or a similar Sioux nation may come about first.

Brett
10-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Montana, New Hampshire or Alaska. Preferably all three.

virgil47
10-04-2009, 09:34 AM
If Texas were to secede Mexico would gobble them up in a heartbeat and the U.S. gov. would quietly stand by. A single state no matter how tough the citizens simply can not stand against the forces of a country set on conquest.

If Alaska were to attempt to secede the U.S. gov. would react immediately in a rather forceful manner. The natural resources found in Alaska are simply to important to the U.S. to allow to escape. Also Alaska's isolated geography makes the use of force without the interference of the other states insures a quick and harsh answer to any thoughts of secession on the part of Alaska.

If I was to hazard a guess as to which state would be the most likely to secede and possibly succeed it would be a state with little or no natural resources and not of any strategic importance to the U.S. gov. Of course any state that wished to secede would have to be located on a coast and not inland for obvious reasons. It also would not be located on our southern border as Mexico believes we stole that land from them and would immediately begin to reacquire it.

It might be possible for a state on our northern border to secede and survive. However that survival would be dependent on Canada's good graces which I am no longer sure exists.

So it would seem that any single state that wishes to secede will have to be one that the rest of the union would not miss. If multiple states working in concert decided to secede simultaneously the chance of success would be greatly enhanced with the addition of each state that joined the secession.

South Park Fan
10-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Do you really think Mexico would be strong enough to take over Texas? They couldn't do it the first time when Mexico was a much greater power than it is today. Could they really defeat a new Texan Republic when they can't even beat drug dealers?

I would think that the first state to secede would trigger a domino effect of seceding states.

virgil47
10-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Do you really think Mexico would be strong enough to take over Texas? They couldn't do it the first time when Mexico was a much greater power than it is today. Could they really defeat a new Texan Republic when they can't even beat drug dealers?

I would think that the first state to secede would trigger a domino effect of seceding states.

That is a nice thought however the reality is that Mexico has many more resources than Texas. These resources not only include oil but soldiers as well. The state of Texas has no soldiers as they along with the rest of the states gave them to the U.S. gov. Police forces and citizenry will not fare well against soldiers without help from the other states and that help will most likely be blockaded by the U.S. gov.

I believe that if the states do not secede as one the vast majority will take a wait and see attitude. They will want to see the outcome before committing themselves. This of course would be to the liking of the U.S. gov.

If the states and I mean the majority of states should decide to reclaim their military from the U.S. gov. that would change the complexion of this entire discussion. I am not going to hold my breath as the states have shown that they value money over security.

james1906
10-04-2009, 09:57 AM

We Texans have guns, only the government and the drug runners tend to be armed in Mexico. While the vast majority of the people of the border cities are predominately of Mexican heritage, I'm sure many would feel that joining with Mexico would be taking a step back.

virgil47
10-04-2009, 10:06 AM
We Texans have guns, only the government and the drug runners tend to be armed in Mexico. While the vast majority of the people of the border cities are predominately of Mexican heritage, I'm sure many would feel that joining with Mexico would be taking a step back.

Are so sure that you are willing to bet your families lives on it. If Texas were to attempt to secede there is a better than even chance that the U.S. would assist Mexico in its conquest of Texas. The U.S. gov. simply could not afford to allow the successful secession of Texas. By assisting Mexico the U.S. gov. would make an example of Texas that the other states simply could not help but notice.

james1906
10-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Are so sure that you are willing to bet your families lives on it. If Texas were to attempt to secede there is a better than even chance that the U.S. would assist Mexico in its conquest of Texas. The U.S. gov. simply could not afford to allow the successful secession of Texas. By assisting Mexico the U.S. gov. would make an example of Texas that the other states simply could not help but notice.

Where does the energy to fuel the opponent's tanks and jets come from? :cool:

cheapseats
10-04-2009, 10:12 AM
The question is MY mind is, why isn't the Jefferson State project making a full-court press?

I will argue it is because certain Players in the Jefferson State project are jockeying for THEIR piece-not-to-be-confused-with-peace of Washington power and perks.

virgil47
10-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Where does the energy to fuel the opponent's tanks and jets come from? :cool:

Mexico has a great deal of oil. It also has trade agreements with oil producing countries. Can the same be said of Texas? You also bring up another important point. Mexico does have tanks and jets but Texas does not.

Pericles
10-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Mexico has a great deal of oil. It also has trade agreements with oil producing countries. Can the same be said of Texas? You also bring up another important point. Mexico does have tanks and jets but Texas does not.

And just what model tank does the Mexican army use? Hint: they must be stealth tanks because they are invisible. The Mexican army has 38 anti- tank weapon systems. They have 402 tracked infantry carriers from France and 52 from Germany, the rest of the army has wheeled vehicles.

The TX National Guard is a more powerful force than Mexico's military.

TX is a viable country because of natural resources and economy.

Flash
10-04-2009, 11:37 AM
New Hampshire.

heavenlyboy34
10-04-2009, 11:40 AM

A lot of states were paid for, though-remember the Louisiana purchase? ;)

Chase
10-04-2009, 11:41 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Air_National_Guard

The Texas Air National Guard, where both George W. Bush and Ron Paul were once personnel, has jets.

hueylong
10-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Given the historical, cultural and natural resource synergies -- I think Mexico would arguably be the first nation to recognize an Independent Texas.

FSP-Rebel
10-04-2009, 12:04 PM
NH couldn't even pass a Sovereignty Resolution.
Not yet and neither has VT. We're working to give our state house a facelift and in time we'll at least have a resolution, especially as more libertarians move here and help the cause. Quite frankly, other than the income taxes I really don't feel a whole lot of oppression from DC. We don't have rogue law enforcement agencies that mess you up nor any significant statewide taxes that cramp my style. I really don't want to secede, I just want a law in place that excludes us from future intrusive federal laws.

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-04-2009, 12:38 PM
nt

LittleLightShining
10-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Not yet and neither has VT. We're working to give our state house a facelift and in time we'll at least have a resolution, especially as more libertarians move here and help the cause. Quite frankly, other than the income taxes I really don't feel a whole lot of oppression from DC. We don't have rogue law enforcement agencies that mess you up nor any significant statewide taxes that cramp my style. I really don't want to secede, I just want a law in place that excludes us from future intrusive federal laws.
A resolution hasn't been introduced yet. Myself and 3 other VT C4L members drafted one over the summer and we're shopping it around right now.

Because our legislature has a Democratic supermajority we are working on bringing some typically leftist issues to the forefront in our pitch. We may not have rogue law enforcement agencies oppressing us but we do have federal food safety legislation putting ridiculous burdens on farmers, NAIS, data mining in the schools by the military via No Child Left Behind, the suggestion of a per cow carbon tax... and then we have marijuana and hemp farming, federal land grabs, gun control legislation, cap & trade, health care... the issues are very broad and appeal to all sides of the political spectrum. If we can get a Republican, a Democrat and a Progressive on board as sponsors I have a good feeling that we'll be able to get this through.

JeNNiF00F00
10-04-2009, 01:40 PM
The thought crossed my mind the other day when the FSP had a money bomb.

I am going to certainly think about moving there later on after I graduate because it would be the best time to do it in my life probably if I ever do it. I mean I won't own a house or anything, or have a job or a family, so moving and starting off there wouldn't be that hard.

Edit:

I would sure hate the cold up there though being from SC lol!! But the good thing about that is that I would get to see real snow lol!! It only snows in SC once a decade, and thats only about 5-10 inches lol.

SC is cold enuf! I too have thought about making the trip up there. What parts you from anyways?

virgil47
10-04-2009, 02:11 PM
And just what model tank does the Mexican army use? Hint: they must be stealth tanks because they are invisible. The Mexican army has 38 anti- tank weapon systems. They have 402 tracked infantry carriers from France and 52 from Germany, the rest of the army has wheeled vehicles.

The TX National Guard is a more powerful force than Mexico's military.

TX is a viable country because of natural resources and economy.

You are correct about the tanks however the Texas NATIONAL Guard does not belong to Texas. It belongs to the country it would attempt to secede from. The guard units would be activated and sent overseas at the first hint that Texas might attempt to actually secede. Without the Guard Texas would be a sitting duck. Mexico would love to have it's natural resources and it's economy to boost it's own. The North American Highway would run right to the border of Texas and make it much easier to force the North American Union upon the rest of us.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-04-2009, 02:21 PM
You are correct about the tanks however the Texas NATIONAL Guard does not belong to Texas. It belongs to the country it would attempt to secede from. The guard units would be activated and sent overseas at the first hint that Texas might attempt to actually secede. Without the Guard Texas would be a sitting duck. Mexico would love to have it's natural resources and it's economy to boost it's own. The North American Highway would run right to the border of Texas and make it much easier to force the North American Union upon the rest of us.

Some people...there are a lot of countries that have MUCH less military might than Texas. Do you see them getting attacked and annexed by their neighbors all the time? Secondly, the TX National Guard is the STATE MILITIA. It doesn't belong to the Federal Government at all, and is why many States are passing legislation that disbars the President from ordering them around. You are a moron.

South Park Fan
10-04-2009, 03:58 PM
virgil, if a secessionist Texas were to be attacked, it would be from the Red River, not the Rio Grande. Even then, I can't see even the US having long term success conquering a nation of 25 million armed people. Just look at how successful they have been in Iraq and Afghanistan.

virgil47
10-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Some people...there are a lot of countries that have MUCH less military might than Texas. Do you see them getting attacked and annexed by their neighbors all the time? Secondly, the TX National Guard is the STATE MILITIA. It doesn't belong to the Federal Government at all, and is why many States are passing legislation that disbars the President from ordering them around. You are a moron.

Name calling aside the government of Texas gave up the right to call the Texas National Guard the state militia when the U.S. gov. took over their guard units (nationalized them). Hence the name "NATIONAL GUARD". FYI the governor of Texas has no control over the use of the Texas National Guard except when the U.S. gov. has no need of them and even then the U.S. gov. can take them whenever it so chooses. By the way this applies to all of the states not just Texas. If and when the states grow a pair and actually tell the U.S. gov. that they are taking their guard units back and that they are going to keep all of the military hardware that the guard units have acquired then and only then would Texas or any other state have a fighting chance.

Flash
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah I'm going to bet on New Hampshire or Vermont seceding first. Hopefully the Libertarians of NH will influence the policies of Maine & Vermont..

YumYum
10-04-2009, 06:36 PM
If/When the United States dissolve, which state do you think will be first to leave?

Coeur d'Alene or McDonald County, MO.

awake
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Who ever goes first, must be accompanied soon after by others, simply dissolving federal power and giving no focal point for the federal government to attack. One great big walk away...

Icymudpuppy
10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
I'd bet on Hawai'i, or a Lakota Nation of Wyoming, Montana, and North and South Dakota.

Anti Federalist
10-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Hard to say who would be first.

Somebody had better start, since this thing is now unmanageable.

It's time to start getting into the lifeboats.

Given the historical, cultural and natural resource synergies -- I think Mexico would arguably be the first nation to recognize an Independent Texas.

YouTube - EVERY MAN IS A KING-Huey P. Long The Kingfish Legend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8elIlcrNf0)

BarryDonegan
10-04-2009, 07:13 PM
we wont need to secede. bankrupt fed with a balanced budget state with overlapping laws on every level just means we can finally warm up that ole state government weve spent a third of our paycheck on. take it for a spin, see how it feels wearing a couple of those regulatory roles. its a little more responsive, better handling. not as much horsepower, but better gas mileage and less weight. much easier on the wallet.

BarryDonegan
10-04-2009, 07:13 PM
unless your in Mass or Cali... I think you guys will be the first two Chinese colonies.

Dieseler
10-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm rooting for Washington D.C to secede first but if somehow Illinois decided to go first, then I would be ok with that as well.

raystone
10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
This past Monday, the Arizona State Senate voted 18-11 to concur with the House and approve the Health Care Freedom Act (HCR2014). This will put a proposal on the 2010 ballot which would constitutionally override any law, rule or regulation that requires individuals or employers to participate in any particular health care system.

Five other states — Indiana, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota and Wyoming — are considering similar initiatives for their 2010 ballots.

http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2009/06/26/arizona-hcr2014-national-health-care-nullification/

South Park Fan
10-04-2009, 07:48 PM
This past Monday, the Arizona State Senate voted 18-11 to concur with the House and approve the Health Care Freedom Act (HCR2014). This will put a proposal on the 2010 ballot which would constitutionally override any law, rule or regulation that requires individuals or employers to participate in any particular health care system.

Five other states — Indiana, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota and Wyoming — are considering similar initiatives for their 2010 ballots.

http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2009/06/26/arizona-hcr2014-national-health-care-nullification/

I like the progress that is being made. Hopefully they will cross the Rubicon soon.

tmosley
10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Texas? ha, that's a laugh. Gov. Perry must have fooled
a lot of people with his pontifications!

lynn

Perry won't be governor forever. An uprising could easily lead to a new governor (by whatever method...), which could lead to any number of interesting possibilities. If Texas leaves, any other state that wanted to leave could, as Texas has the military (and nukes!) to defend any other state that wants to leave.

Pauls' Revere
10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
The state of Superior.

Or Jefferson State?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

:)

american.swan
10-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Remember where Lockheed Martin is based. hint hint. :) :)

Captain Bryan
10-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't think it will be a state.
I think it will be a County, or City, or just an area. At first.
While this is funny, I see it working like the way this town (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winneconne,_Wisconsin#Secession_and_sovereign_stat ehood) did it.

South Park Fan
10-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Remember where Lockheed Martin is based. hint hint. :) :)

Maryland?

Razmear
10-05-2009, 12:04 AM
If SC were to secede I fear it would end up a Baptist-Taliban state with 'God's Law' becoming the law of the land, at which point I'd be hightailing it to GA or TN.

VT and NH are possibilities, but long term I see most of New England (not CT) breaking off and forming an economic alliance. The 5 states together would complement each other well in regards to resources and becoming self-sustaining in the event of no trade with the remaining states. There was a 'Pine Tree' secession movement back in the 90's that was working towards this and they had a fair amount of supporting data.

First to go? Not sure, but once one leaves many more will follow quickly.

eb

YumYum
10-05-2009, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE=Razmear;2352410]If SC were to secede I fear it would end up a Baptist-Taliban state with 'God's Law' becoming the law of the land.[Quote]

You mean you don't have any God fearing atheist in South Carolina?

[QUOTE=Razmear;2352410]at which point I'd be hightailing it to GA or TN.[Quote]

Tennessee has more religious nutcases than South Carolina. That's like moving from Iraq to Iran to get away from Muslims.

justinc.1089
10-05-2009, 02:06 AM
SC is cold enuf! I too have thought about making the trip up there. What parts you from anyways?

Myrtle Beach, in Horry county by the ocean, the best part of SC! But right now I'm stuck at this lame place Chattanooga in Tenessee because I got talked into going to college here. But once the semester ends I'm transferring back to Coastal Carolina University and getting back to the good old beach lol!

I guess you're from South Carolina too then?

justinc.1089
10-05-2009, 02:16 AM
If SC were to secede I fear it would end up a Baptist-Taliban state with 'God's Law' becoming the law of the land, at which point I'd be hightailing it to GA or TN.

VT and NH are possibilities, but long term I see most of New England (not CT) breaking off and forming an economic alliance. The 5 states together would complement each other well in regards to resources and becoming self-sustaining in the event of no trade with the remaining states. There was a 'Pine Tree' secession movement back in the 90's that was working towards this and they had a fair amount of supporting data.

First to go? Not sure, but once one leaves many more will follow quickly.

eb

Haha yeah you're probably right.

But yumyum is right, TN is much worse than SC for religion. I have noticed that since I'm living in TN now.

Still though, I think South Carolina would produce a government a million times better than the federal government.... even if Pat Robertson or Billy Graham were automatically the president lol.

Sandman33
10-05-2009, 02:21 AM
When the dollar completely collapses and the feds arent paying out ssi or welfare.....it really won't matter who secedes first.

What will the seceding state do for money?

What will the seceding state do when China comes knocking?

Who will control all our nukes?

justinc.1089
10-05-2009, 02:28 AM
When the dollar completely collapses and the feds arent paying out ssi or welfare.....it really won't matter who secedes first.

Um why not just handle their own money? If they do it right their economy will recover.

What happens when China comes knocking? Trade? Or do you mean war? I'm not sure where you are going with that.

The nukes would be a chaotic situation probably. My guess is that the federal government would try to secure those and keep control of them, but if people in the state government were smart they may be able to prevent that if there are nukes in their state.

Bucjason
10-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Texas of course...

pcosmar
10-05-2009, 08:19 AM

Much is unsure. I suspect that the Globalists will take off the gloves. There will be attempts to restore "order", and the Constitution will not be a consideration.
Security forces will likely have Blue helmets.
All speculation till TSHTF.

paulitics
10-05-2009, 08:28 AM
New Jersey.

To the European Union.

TXcarlosTX
10-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Tejas!!!

Sandman33
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Um why not just handle their own money? If they do it right their economy will recover.

What happens when China comes knocking? Trade? Or do you mean war? I'm not sure where you are going with that.

The nukes would be a chaotic situation probably. My guess is that the federal government would try to secure those and keep control of them, but if people in the state government were smart they may be able to prevent that if there are nukes in their state.

Yes but you would have to create order somehow...all while the Feds will be giving a LOT of grief and a lot of assasinations for sure.

And you will have to introduce a new monetary system for your state and convice the people that it's stable and valuable! Thats VERY difficult. What would you back it with anyway?

China will come knocking when enough time goes by and no one from "America" is paying back that massive debt. Stealing from the new world superpower would not be prudent.

Much is unsure. I suspect that the Globalists will take off the gloves. There will be attempts to restore "order", and the Constitution will not be a consideration.
Security forces will likely have Blue helmets.
All speculation till TSHTF.

Yeah, I'm forseeing a lot of blue helmets too. Then red ones.

porcupine
10-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Well back when they were colonies, I think New Hampshire was one of the more statist states. Rhode Island and Connecticut were the most libertarian. But that has obviously changed, lol.

I disagree. It was New Hampshire that insisted that there be a Bill of Rights added to the Constitution and they also wanted an Amendment added to the Federal Government forbidding standing armies.

porcupine
10-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Vermont's secession movement is the most popular and successful at this point. New Hampshire's movement is gaining steam as the Free State Project gains steam and the Federal Government becomes more tyrannical.

FrankRep
10-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Alaska or Texas.

This is my guess.

:D

Texas Nationalist Movement
http://www.texasnationalist.com/

thasre
10-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Alaska or Texas.

+1

Although, frankly, if things get bad enough in California they might just have to be the first to go.

WClint
10-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Russian Professor Says U.S. Will Break Up After Economic Crisis
http://justgetthere.us/blog/uploads/USA.gif

http://justgetthere.us/blog/archives/Russian-Professor-Says-U.S.-Will-Break-Up-After-Economic-Crisis.html

Though it seems to me that it will be important to have access to the great lakes

dwdollar
10-18-2009, 09:48 PM
virgil, if a secessionist Texas were to be attacked, it would be from the Red River, not the Rio Grande. Even then, I can't see even the US having long term success conquering a nation of 25 million armed people. Just look at how successful they have been in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Unlikely. IF Texas goes, so does Oklahoma.

Grgeiger
10-18-2009, 09:59 PM
The population is very small per square mile, and the area is quite depressed. But there are abundant untapped resources like Iron, Copper, and possibly Diamonds for that area to sustain themselves.

The state of Superior.

tremendoustie
10-19-2009, 02:39 AM
New Hampshire. Everyone knows it's the place to be for people who believe in liberty, and if the government gets tyrannical enough for people to start placing escape from it as a higher priority than career -- there will be a mass exodus to NH. Heck, there already is an exodus.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-19-2009, 06:03 AM
New Hampshire. Everyone knows it's the place to be for people who believe in liberty, and if the government gets tyrannical enough for people to start placing escape from it as a higher priority than career -- there will be a mass exodus to NH. Heck, there already is an exodus.

Texas. Texas all ready has polled that 25% of the population are openly calling for secession, and Texas is currently the only State in which the Governor can come out and talk about Secession, and actually RALLIES CROWDS and get's MARK UP'S in the polls for it. Besides, Texas has a storied history about its Independance, whereas NH isn't as.

I think it'll go Texas > NH > Oklahoma > Alaska as the first four.

armstrong
10-19-2009, 07:22 AM
oregon and northern california