PDA

View Full Version : Differences between the Old Right and the New Right

Lisle16
10-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Many liberals like to lump conservatives all into one big group, but as we all know, there are many different schools of conservative thought. However, for the purposes of this thread, we shall focus on the differences in what I consider the two main groups -the "Old Right", as embodied by Senator Robert Taft, and the 'New Right" as embodied by Ronald Reagan.

Old Right-
-believe in a return to the Gold Standard and in Austrian economic theory in general

-non-interventionist foreign policy

-states rights, which includes the states deciding on many issues that the federal government has no Constitutional right over as outlined by the 10th Amendment

-no federal interference in the economy (abolishment of the Federal Reserve)

New Right-
-believe in supply-side economics

-interventionist foreign policy

-a strong federal government

-state-sponsored corporatism, which naturally means federal interference in the economy.

Anyone else like to add anything to these lists?

Fozz
10-03-2009, 05:43 PM
New Right- anti-government, pro-market, in rhetoric only.

Fozz
10-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Question: Did Robert Taft support the gold standard and abolishing the Fed?

jmag
10-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Recent Neocon philosophy can be traced to Marxist Trotskyism via Leo Strauss at the U of Chicago.

YouTube - Why Bill Kristol calls Ron Paul a 'crackpot' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvHJzRe9xHo)

Lisle16
10-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Question: Did Robert Taft support the gold standard and abolishing the Fed?

The former, yes. The latter, I can't say. I haven't seen anything that indicated either his support or opposition to the Fed. I know he was virulently opposed to the New Deal and to entry into World War II.

Fozz
10-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Although Robert Taft was a great man, he was no Ron Paul. He was one of the most compromising people among the conservative Republicans of his time. Howard Buffet was more radical, and he was just like Ron Paul. If only his his son was more like him.