PDA

View Full Version : If HR 1207 passes, will Obama sign it?

Fozz
10-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Based on Timothy Geithner's comments, I would guess not.

But nobody knows for sure. The idea of Obama signing 1207 is probably just as bizarre as the idea of McCain, Lindsey Graham, and Ben Cardin cosponsoring S. 604.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
10-03-2009, 05:25 PM
no.

the real question is, will the democrats who voted for it 1207 override their Messiah's veto

RSLudlum
10-03-2009, 05:28 PM
If he truely believes in 'democracy' as much as he claims, he will.

Fozz
10-03-2009, 05:39 PM
no.

the real question is, will the democrats who voted for it 1207 override their Messiah's veto

If Obama's political capital runs short, and if 1207 gets a lot of media attention, then I think Obama might sign it.

However, if Obama had the political capital to be the pompous asshole that he was 8 months ago, then definitely not.

erowe1
10-03-2009, 05:40 PM
What do you mean nobody knows for sure? Of course he won't sign it. That's as sure as knowing that he will sign whatever health care reform he can muster.

Fozz
10-03-2009, 05:41 PM
What do you mean nobody knows for sure? Of course he won't sign it. That's as sure as knowing that he will sign whatever health care reform he can muster.

I think Michele Bachmann said that the president will sign it if it passes both houses.

erowe1
10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I think Michele Bachmann said that the president will sign it if it passes both houses.

Where in the world would she have gotten that idea? I don't think there's any way he would sign it.

erowe1
10-03-2009, 05:57 PM
If Obama's political capital runs short, and if 1207 gets a lot of media attention, then I think Obama might sign it.

However, if Obama had the political capital to be the pompous asshole that he was 8 months ago, then definitely not.

I think a Fed audit would stand to hurt Obama's political capital a lot more than vetoing HR 1207 would.

Fozz
10-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Where in the world would she have gotten that idea? I don't think there's any way he would sign it.

If his approval rating is declining, and if this bill gets a lot of media attention (which it may), then he might sign the it due to the heat.

Fozz
10-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I think a Fed audit would stand to hurt Obama's political capital a lot more than vetoing HR 1207 would.
Ron Paul believes that if the bill is voted in the House, no more than 30 reps would vote no. If Obama vetoes a bill with over 400 yes votes, that calls for an audit that 75% of Americans support, it could be an utter embarrassment to him.

Fozz
10-03-2009, 06:04 PM

Did you think that John McCain would cosponsor a Fed audit?

ForLiberty-RonPaul
10-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Ron Paul believes that if the bill is voted in the House, no more than 30 reps would vote no. If Obama vetoes a bill with over 400 yes votes, that calls for an audit that 75% of Americans support, it could be an utter embarrassment to him.

we'll have a massive media blitz telling us why auditing would be bad. or Obama will sign it but screw it all up with an executive order or whatever, which allows the Fed to audit themselves.

Fozz
10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
we'll have a massive media blitz telling us why auditing would be bad. or Obama will sign it but screw it all up with an executive order or whatever, which allows the Fed to audit themselves.

It will all be mantra about "independence" and other crap. I don't think the media will have a monopoly on opposition to the audits, especially with the internet around. Curious people might even come across Ron Paul's ideas and End the Fed.

Ron Paul seems a lot more optimistic than he was a couple months ago.

erowe1
10-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Ron Paul believes that if the bill is voted in the House, no more than 30 reps would vote no. If Obama vetoes a bill with over 400 yes votes, that would do something that 75% of Americans support, it could be an utter embarrassment to him.

The support may be broad. But most of that isn't very deep. It may well be the case that polls show that level of support for it. But of that 75%, 90% of them don't know much about what that means or why it would be important, don't think that they really know better than all the economists who are against it, and wouldn't change their vote in 2012 from being for Obama to being against him on account of it. The other 10% are fired up about it and sending multiple emails, letters, and calls to their congressman and other people's congressmen, but won't be voting for Obama anyway.

On the other hand, if the audit did happen, then that less informed and less interested 90% would find out in detail why they were right to support the audit, why the Fed is so bad, and why they should have been Ron Paul supporters all along.

Plus, for politicians, when it comes to choosing between what the big money wants and what 75% of the voters want, the big money wins. Take TARP, for example.

erowe1
10-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Did you think that John McCain would cosponsor a Fed audit?

Sure. Once the floodgates opened and so many in the House supported it, I knew that there was some inside baseball stuff going on where they knew they could go on record as supporting it without having to fear that it would actually ever happen as designed. Given that, it's no surprise that McCain would jump on the band wagon.

Fozz
10-03-2009, 06:11 PM
The support may be broad. But most of that isn't very deep. It may well be the case that polls show that level of support for it. But of that 75%, 90% of them don't know much about what that means or why it would be important, don't think that they really know better than all the economists who are against it, and wouldn't change their vote in 2012 from being for Obama to being against him on account of it. The other 10% are fired up about it and sending multiple emails, letters, and calls to their congressman and other people's congressmen, but won't be voting for Obama anyway.

On the other hand, if the audit did happen, then that less informed and less interested 90% would find out in detail why they were right to support the audit, why the Fed is so bad, and why they should have been Ron Paul supporters all along.

Plus, for politicians, when it comes to choosing between what the big money wants and what 75% of the voters want, the big money wins. Take TARP, for example.
That's a strong argument right there, and you're right about people not being very familiar with this issue. Those who were polled probably thought it sounded right without knowing anything about the Fed.

But this will be very easy to pass in the House if it were to come to a vote, so that would also indicate the strength of support for this.

bunklocoempire
10-03-2009, 06:51 PM
If HR 1207 passes, will Obama sign it?

No. Too big to fail. Can't take that chance with all this crisis going on.

We’ve already gotten a taste of the Ameri-can’t this administration is playing along with the democrats (and republicans).

Close Gitmo? Uh… sure, but Congress won’t, sorry.

It’s the same old good guy bad guy routine with Obama and the reps. Just like the good guy bad guy dems vs. repubs routine.

They all want change, but you see their hands are tied. Yeah right.

On the other hand, if a new global currency is the goal (or plan B), who can say. Might be better for the powers that be to offer up some “yeah, we made a mistake, but here’s what we can do”. Damage control while retaining and gaining even more power.

Bunkloco

TCE
10-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Everyone who has posted is missing the point. The bill will be tacked on to the reforms Barney Frank and Obama want. He won't veto it.

Eric Arthur Blair
10-03-2009, 08:44 PM
What do liberals think about it. On the Huff Post they seem very in the know. That said if Obama had the balls to defy the left on single payer the fed will be a walk in the park.

Andrew-Austin
10-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Everyone who has posted is missing the point. The bill will be tacked on to the reforms Barney Frank and Obama want. He won't veto it.

This could happen, plus the GAO could just help cover up the Fed's bullshit.

puppetmaster
10-03-2009, 10:37 PM
The only way he would sign it would be if by then it won't matter. The only way this proceeds this far if if the plans are complete to destroy our national sovereignty.

Fozz
10-03-2009, 10:51 PM
This could happen, plus the GAO could just help cover up the Fed's bullshit.

I don't know about that, David Walker was a very serious critic of our government and its spending when he was GAO Comptroller General.

YouTube - The U.S. Economy is Unsustainable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Q14HOBThM)

Fozz
10-03-2009, 10:51 PM

qh4dotcom
10-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Ron Paul himself has said that there's no way Obama will sign it...it's a sure veto

Sorry I don't have a source but I heard him say that loud and clear. I also assume he meant the original bill and not a watered down version.

Fozz
10-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Some people have said that an Obama veto is the best thing that could happen for us.

catdd
10-04-2009, 01:24 PM
It's really up to Geithner. Obama will do whatever he says.