PDA

View Full Version : Rio Winning IOC Bid - Just Luck ?

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-02-2009, 05:53 PM
It seems the ideal situation for some who would like to see Brazil reigned into their plans.

awake
10-02-2009, 06:13 PM
It is just not fair. The UN should confiscate the games and redistribute it to America, they are in dire need of the stimulus and Brazil will not miss it anyway - it is only fair. [sarcastic]

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-02-2009, 07:17 PM
It is just not fair. The UN should confiscate the games and redistribute it to America, they are in dire need of the stimulus and Brazil will not miss it anyway - it is only fair. [sarcastic]

Wondering more along the lines of how the tptb will have their hands in this.

With this being such a strategic location and the chance seemingly being presented to them on a platter. :rolleyes:

BenIsForRon
10-02-2009, 07:31 PM
You're right that Brazil is definitely not playing the world government game, but I think they're going to need more convincing than the 2016 Olympics to go along with the plans.

James Madison
10-02-2009, 09:05 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure there will be a 2016 Olympics.

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-03-2009, 08:15 AM

I know EXACTLY what you mean.

coyote_sprit
10-03-2009, 08:17 AM

If there is I doubt very much that many coutries would attend.

jsu718
10-03-2009, 08:35 AM
There was no luck involved... I have searched the internet and found the following information about the bid.

"I remember when all it took was cash and hookers to get the IOC to vote for your city...if that were still the case, Chicago could only lose to one city. That is Rio."

"Too bad ACORN and it's 10 million affiliates don't get billions to operate in Europe. They could have pulled it off..."

"YO RIO, I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU. IMMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT CHICAGO'S BID WAS ONE OF THE BEST OF ALL TIME"

"Jimmy Carter has come out as saying that Chicago lost the IOC bid for the sole reason that our president is black"

pcosmar
10-03-2009, 08:47 AM
You're right that Brazil is definitely not playing the world government game, but I think they're going to need more convincing than the 2016 Olympics to go along with the plans.

I have no idea where you get that Idea.
What do you base that statement on?

I disagree. and will back it with fact.
http://www.unep.org/Documents.Multilingual/Default.asp?documentID=78&articleID=1163
AGENDA 21

Rio Declaration on Environment and Development

The United Nations Conference on Environment and Development,

Having met at Rio de Janeiro from 3 to 14 June 1992,

Reaffirming the Declaration of the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment, adopted at Stockholm on 16 June 1972, and seeking to build upon it,

With the goal of establishing a new and equitable global partnership through the creation of new levels of cooperation among States, key sectors of societies and people,

Working towards international agreements which respect the interests of all and protect the integrity of the global environmental and developmental system,

And more recently,
http://unic.un.org/imu/recentActivities/post/2009/06/UNIC-Rio-de-Janeiro-holds-three-events-to-mark-the-International-Day-of-United-Nations-Peacekeepers.aspx
UNIC Rio de Janeiro holds three events to mark the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers

The first event, on 29 May 2009, took place at the Military Villa of Rio de Janeiro at the premises of the Brazilian Army's Sergio Viera de Mello Training Centre for Peacekeeping Operations (CI Op Paz). Approximately 100 guests attended the event, most of them from the military. The United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) in Rio de Janeiro's Director represented the United Nations at the ceremony. He spoke about the importance of the peacekeeping missions, remembered those who lost their lives and shared with the audience the Secretary-General’s message for the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers.

The next event, hosted by the local French Consulate and held on 1 June 2009, was the premiere of the Brazilian documentary “Ponto Forte” (“Strong Point”) about the work of the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) and the civilian-military cooperation in the Mission,

The final event was held on 2 June 2009, where UNIC Rio de Janeiro supported the “Commemorative Panel on the International Day of Peacekeepers”, organized by the Military Club and the Military History and Geography Institute of Brazil.