PDA

View Full Version : From Real Clear Politics...Paul To Surprise Again?

Karrl
09-30-2007, 06:03 PM
As the fundraising quarter draws to a close at midnight tonight, candidates are scrambling to boost their numbers by any means necessary (we've received two fundraising pitches signed by candidates with the subject line "Hey," and one from a spouse headed "Re: Hey"). And while he's gotten little attention outside his fervent and fanatic fan base, Texas Congressman Ron Paul, who finished the second quarter with more cash on hand than Sen. John McCain, could have another surprise in store for the media establishment his supporters so often malign.

In the run-up to the filing deadline, Paul's supporters were asked to help the candidate raise $500,000 in just a few days. That's more than former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee raised in the entire first quarter, by the way. Yesterday, the Paul campaign revised its goal -- supporters had raised $850,000 already, and the campaign was shooting for $1 million by midnight tonight.

The campaign reached the $1 million mark last night, a full day ahead of schedule.

Paul won't outraise any of the front-runners, but the frugality with which he is running the campaign, as well as the fervency of his supporters and his presence in Iowa and New Hampshire, mean that he will be one second-tier candidate unwilling to drop out before the nominating process takes its course. Paul could cause some serious problems for the front-runners, and it looks increasingly like he will have the money to compete in at least a few early states.

erowe1
09-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Wow. That assessment is remarkably evenhanded, coming from an outsider. And as I see things it looks like a pretty fair assessment, neither painting too high nor too low of a picture of Paul's current chances.

LibertyEagle
09-30-2007, 06:07 PM
link?

BillyDkid
09-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I have to be honest, I know the campaign has a strategy and everything, but I will have such a sense of relief when they finally start advertising. We have two gigantic hurdles - introducing people to Ron Paul and then getting them to hear and understand his message.

Karrl
09-30-2007, 06:12 PM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/politics_nation/2007/09/paul_to_surprise_again.html

FreedomLover
09-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm glad they're weren't any "leaks" or predictions that could have ruined the surprise.

Paul won't outraise any of the front-runners

He may get close though...:eek:

Bradley in DC
09-30-2007, 06:16 PM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/politics_nation/2007/09/paul_to_surprise_again.html

erowe1
09-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Paul won't outraise any of the front-runners

I wonder if the writer considers McCain one of the front-runners. I guess I can't blame them if they don't.

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Cash on hand comparisons should be interesting. F T is rumored to have raised $7m, but he has to pay out about half that just in fundraising costs. I can't believe we won't have more cash on hand that the beltway lobbyist.

stevedasbach
09-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Cash on hand comparisons should be interesting. F T is rumored to have raised $7m, but he has to pay out about half that just in fundraising costs. I can't believe we won't have more cash on hand that the beltway lobbyist.

I just read somewhere that his campaign has let it be known that they raised about $8 million 3rdQ.

AgentPaul001
09-30-2007, 06:58 PM
It would be great to see Ron Paul break the $5 Million Raised benchmark, doubftul though, it would definitely get some big media coverage though.

Either way we should see a fairly hefty warchest moving into the primary season, that will allow Ron Paul to come even handedly with the Top Canidates.

MsDoodahs
09-30-2007, 07:05 PM
I've seen one FredHead saying 5mil is what he's heard.

I think they're trying to keep expectations very low and will try to be the darling by raising a few million more, so I won't be shocked at anything between 7 and 10 mil.

erowe1
09-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Here's the $8M figure for Fred:
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/09/internet-candid.html

I can't imagine we'll catch that. But I'm more optimistic than that previous comment that we can break $5M. Just from the info that the campaign has already released, we know it's higher than $3.7M anyway, and I cautiously tend to think it's a good bit higher. Beating McCain again, if it happens will be sweet.

ItsTime
09-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Here's the $8M figure for Fred:
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/09/internet-candid.html

I can't imagine we'll catch that. But I'm more optimistic than that previous comment that we can break $5M. Just from the info that the campaign has already released, we know it's higher than $3.7M anyway, and I cautiously tend to think it's a good bit higher. Beating McCain again, if it happens will be sweet.

I heard 8 from CNN as well

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-30-2007, 07:37 PM
No, I don't think we'll beat FT in dollars raised, but I'd put out a very large bet that we'll have more cash on hand.

Chester Copperpot
09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
As the fundraising quarter draws to a close at midnight tonight, candidates are scrambling to boost their numbers by any means necessary (we've received two fundraising pitches signed by candidates with the subject line "Hey," and one from a spouse headed "Re: Hey"). And while he's gotten little attention outside his fervent and fanatic fan base, Texas Congressman Ron Paul, who finished the second quarter with more cash on hand than Sen. John McCain, could have another surprise in store for the media establishment his supporters so often malign.

In the run-up to the filing deadline, Paul's supporters were asked to help the candidate raise $500,000 in just a few days. That's more than former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee raised in the entire first quarter, by the way. Yesterday, the Paul campaign revised its goal -- supporters had raised $850,000 already, and the campaign was shooting for $1 million by midnight tonight.

The campaign reached the $1 million mark last night, a full day ahead of schedule.

Paul won't outraise any of the front-runners, but the frugality with which he is running the campaign, as well as the fervency of his supporters and his presence in Iowa and New Hampshire, mean that he will be one second-tier candidate unwilling to drop out before the nominating process takes its course. Paul could cause some serious problems for the front-runners, and it looks increasingly like he will have the money to compete in at least a few early states.

IF RCP SAID IT THEN THATS GOOD.. THEY ARE VERY BIASED AGAINST PAUL IMO.. THEY ARE THE FOX NEWS OF THE POLLSTERS AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED

Chester Copperpot
09-30-2007, 07:44 PM
It would be great to see Ron Paul break the $5 Million Raised benchmark, doubftul though, it would definitely get some big media coverage though.

Either way we should see a fairly hefty warchest moving into the primary season, that will allow Ron Paul to come even handedly with the Top Canidates.

RON IS GOING TO BREAK $5 MILLION

FreedomLover
09-30-2007, 07:51 PM
IF RCP SAID IT THEN THATS GOOD.. THEY ARE VERY BIASED AGAINST PAUL IMO.. THEY ARE THE FOX NEWS OF THE POLLSTERS AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED

Not really. They just collect a bunch of opinon pieces from many different websites.

I've seen more nuetral ones on RP than straight-up "hit-pieces"

devil21
09-30-2007, 07:57 PM
I heard 8 from CNN as well

But is Fred's figure for just Q3 or from the start of his "testing the waters" (until his fingers wrinkled) phase? Biiiiig difference.

Primbs
09-30-2007, 08:04 PM
The Fred campaign has had so much bad publicity that donors have to be nervous.