PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Small Farmers could use some help

adara7537
10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
If you have an extra five or ten bucks you should consider throwing it towards helping some local farmers who have lost their livelihood in the recent floods. The federal government will only offer them loans to help, as they are only interested in offering free money to the giant farms that fuel the industrial corn system, rather than offer aide to those farmers growing real food with real nutritional value. Follow the link for more info and to make a donation.

These farmers supply our local city farmers market that we have every Saturday. We were disappointed to find that most of them had been victims of the recent flooding. A friend of mine posted this on his Facebook and I wanted to share in case any of you fine people would like to chip in.

http://www.slowfoodatlanta.org/slow_food_atl_news.html

Sorry if this is where this is supposed to be posted...

constituent
10-01-2009, 10:04 AM
How many were "repeat flooders?"

We've got tons of them in S. Texas, flood comes "washes away their livelihood," hat-in-hand, the whole deal... Flood comes again, "washes away their livelihood," hat-in-hand... Flood comes again, you get the point.

so that's why I ask if you have any data on repeat flooders?

MsDoodahs
10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Not sure on "repeat flooders," but this recent flooding was a "500 year flood" and areas that aren't anywhere even close to lakes/creeks had their places flood. Happens when you get that much rain (it was some unreal number like 20 inches) in that short a time frame (10 hours or something?).

adara7537
10-01-2009, 10:11 AM
As far as I know this is the first time for any of them. I do know that we did get flooded like I have never seen before here in the 20 some years I have lived here. I don't recall every hearing about it in the past (farmers needing help for flooding) but I understand you concern and will see if I can find anything about repeat flooders...

We were disappointed to go to the farmers market this Saturday (the town square does it every Saturday) and there wasn't really a market because of this...

constituent
10-01-2009, 10:16 AM
We were disappointed to go to the farmers market this Saturday (the town square does it every Saturday) and there wasn't really a market because of this...

that's a bummer... hopefully this will help them consider/advocate a realignment in the allocation of "the state's" water resources. these floods are often a direct result of damming streams and rivers.

adara7537
10-01-2009, 10:26 AM
that's a bummer... hopefully this will help them consider/advocate a realignment in the allocation of "the state's" water resources. these floods are often a direct result of damming streams and rivers.

You aren't kidding. Apparently from what I heard (I haven't kept up with it) the city of Atlanta is going to have to do that-this is resulting from that business with TN. Apparently the city had been "stealing" water from Lake Lanier and they weren't supposed to be.

I know that my neighborhood flooded for exactly the reason you are talking about-we had never seen anything like it-not even close. Some areas closer to the city were covered in water-it was crazy. We drove down there-you can see the mud/silt line on the trees and bushes-those people were covered in about 10 ft. of water.

Here's some pictures from my neighborhood if you would like to see. In the history of the neighborhood this had never happened-

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=25973&id=1616670032&l=ddf8c77bb0

I am not finding anything about repeat flooding to answer your question. We did just come out of a drought that lasted 2 years or so...

constituent
10-01-2009, 10:38 AM
that brick wall shot is awesome.

adara7537
10-01-2009, 10:55 AM
that brick wall shot is awesome.

Thanks! For a minute there I really though we were going to flood at our house. The poor folks down the road got totally flooded and unfortunately they did not have flood insurance. Which while we are on the topic I think it's lame that Home Owners Insurance doesn't cover flooding. I mean-you have to buy flood insurance if you are in a flood plain so why wouldn't insurance cover you if you weren't and got flooded being that it would be completely unexpected-like a fire...of course they would probably just pull the Act of God clause anyhow...