PDA

View Full Version : How to become a delegate?

Hope
09-30-2007, 04:33 PM
As many of you know, it's really the regional delegates who will decide who the Republican Party nominates for President.

I've contacted my state's GOP Headquarters asking for information about the process of becoming a delegate, but haven't heard anything back yet. My county's Republican organization is in shambles - no more website, no more physical HQ, the chairman doesn't even list any contact information on the official GOP state site.

While I sit on my heels and wait for somebody higher on the food chain to email me back, would you care to share your knowledge about this whole process? I've heard that it's pretty easy to become a delegate (they're often short volunteers), but to become a "superdelegate" as they're sometimes called and be one of the few who gets to throw in their vote for the nomination...I'm just not clear on how this is decided. I'm also wondering how many delegates a region can have.

If any of you are familiar with this subject, please give us all some good advice on how to accomplish our goals for the campaign. If I understand it right, the worse case scenerio is that RP wins the primaries but there aren't enough superdelegates to give him the nomination! We need to get active in our local GOP chapters and quick!

Bradley in DC
09-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi Hope,

I moved this to the right sub-forum. Check out the other threads and posts here. If you have more questions, send me a PM with your email address and your state and remind me what this is about.

Thanks for supporting Dr. Paul and focusing on the important questions!

Hope
09-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi Hope,

I moved this to the right sub-forum. Check out the other threads and posts here. If you have more questions, send me a PM with your email address and your state and remind me what this is about.

Thanks for supporting Dr. Paul and focusing on the important questions!

Thanks, Brad! Somehow that subforum totally slipped by me!

Freedom
09-30-2007, 04:44 PM
I've contacted my state's GOP Headquarters asking for information about the process of becoming a delegate, but haven't heard anything back yet. My county's Republican organization is in shambles - no more website, no more physical HQ, the chairman doesn't even list any contact information on the official GOP state site.

In which state and county are you voting?

Corydoras
09-30-2007, 05:04 PM
My county's Republican organization is in shambles - no more website, no more physical HQ, the chairman doesn't even list any contact information on the official GOP state site.

This may be very good for your chances of becoming a delegate! Let's hope!
:D

Hope
09-30-2007, 05:12 PM
In which state and county are you voting?

Boone, NC

Freedom
09-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Here is what I found searching on the Internet:

Boone, NC is in Watuga County,

The contact information for the Watuga County Republican Party Chairman is:
Mr. James Goff
117 Stirrup Lane
Boone, NC 28607
828-264-8569

The contact information for the Watuga County Republican Party Vice Chairman is:
Mr. David Blust
8142 Highway 105 South
Boone, NC 28607
828-963-6440

If neither of them will answer you, then contact the Republican Party State Chairman:
Mrs. Linda Daves
2031 Hastings Drive
Charlotte, NC 28207
704-376-9411

The Republican Party Plan of Organization is located here:
http://www.ncgop.org/gopinformation/organization.asp (http://www.ncgop.org/gopinformation/organization.asp)

Article II in Plan of Organization discusses how delegates at the precinct level are elected.

olehounddog
11-16-2007, 03:15 PM
As many of you know, it's really the regional delegates who will decide who the Republican Party nominates for President.

While I sit on my heels and wait for somebody higher on the food chain to email me back, would you care to share your knowledge about this whole process? I've heard that it's pretty easy to become a delegate (they're often short volunteers), but to become a "superdelegate" as they're sometimes called and be one of the few who gets to throw in their vote for the nomination...I'm just not clear on how this is decided. I'm also wondering how many delegates a region can have.

If any of you are familiar with this subject, please give us all some good advice on how to accomplish our goals for the campaign. If I understand it right, the worse case scenerio is that RP wins the primaries but there aren't enough superdelegates to give him the nomination! We need to get active in our local GOP chapters and quick!

I know how you feel. Just called Republican Chairman and I get the same feeling. :eek: I now know why this country is in the shape it is. I just assumed these would be intelligent people.:confused:She hardly even knew how to become a delegate. At least I did get a phone# and an e-mail. When I learn more I'll let you know. I'm down the hill here in North Wilkesboro.

olehounddog
11-16-2007, 11:32 PM
I going to the county convention next year

nc4rp
12-19-2007, 06:20 PM
You have to be a republican to be a delegate and show up at your precinct meeting Feb/March (and receive votes by your precinct members)

I read that in N.C. you must register as Republican before Jan 31 to vote at the Precinct Convention in February, or any of the other Conventions up to the State Primary... , so just check both at the local board of elections office.

from wikipedia - Superdelegates are delegates to a presidential nominating convention in the United States who are not bound by the decisions of party primaries or caucuses. Superdelegates are usually party officials or elected officeholders. Superdelegates were first appointed in the 1970s, after control of the nomination process effectively moved out of the hands of party officials into the primary and caucus process. The aim was to allow party officials to have some say in the nominee.

N.C. had Senate Bill 353 to split the electors among the Congressional districts to elect the president but it failed and its still winner-take-all. But electing Delegates at the Primary is different, its proportioned out. I also read that only delegates elected at the County convention may participate at the District convention

39 Congerssional District Delegates (House of Representative members districts)
17 Bonus Delegates (From http://www.republicansource.com/primaries.htm BONUS DELEGATES Each state can earn additional delegates by meeting one or more of the following requirements: the state cast a majority of its votes for the Republican presidential candidate in the previous presidential election, the state elected Republicans to the U.S. House or Senate, selected a Republican Governor or state legislative majorities, and / or the state holds its presidential primary election after March 15th (this is to discourage states from holding early primaries). Republican delegate counts are based on the number of Republicans elected to the State Legislatures, Governors chairs, U.S. House seats, and U.S. Senators seats through 31 December 2007.
3 State District Delegates (2 because we have a Republican Senator - those are elected in her district; and 1 other for the other republican Senator in his district)
10 At-Large Delegates which are just something every state gets 10 free At-Large delegates to be elected at State Convention.
From http://www.republicansource.com/primaries.htm At-large (AL): At-large Delegates consist of all delegates elected to the national convention except for Congressional District Delegates. At-large delegates also include the national committeeman, national committeewoman, and state chairman from each state party ... See Republican Party Rule 13(a)(2).

*(i think the Bonus delegates may also be At-Large delegates)

All that totals 69 delegates that our state will send to National convention.

(IMPORTANT - At the Presidential Year Convention, the delegates and alternates to the National Convention...shall be elected only by votes from the Convention delegates on the floor of the Convention. Presidential Electors-at-large shall be nominated only by votes from the delegates on the floor of the Convention.)(NC Plan Article VII.A.2.d) - does this apply at the county and district conventions?

Artical 7.A.6. General Election Procedure
... the allocated Delegate slots and then the allocated Alternate slots allotted under this Plan of Organization to a Precinct or a County shall be filled first by the election of those duly qualified registered Republicans, eligible to vote, present at such Meeting or Convention and desiring to be elected to fill such slots.
All duly qualified Republicans registered to vote may be elected by qualified Republicans attending the meeting to fill slots that have not been filled by Republicans attending the meeting or conventions. A county may provide in its Plan of Organization that only persons actually present are eligible for election as Delegates or Officers.

(1) Precinct Convention (February/march can be on same day/location as the county convention)
THIS Convention is the HIDDEN KEY to Ron Paul’s success in North Carolina. To win this EVERY Ron Paul supporter needs to register Republican as well as be a Delegate by attending your Precinct/County Convention to elect the base delegates to go on to the County Convention, District Convention, State Convention, and National Convention.

You must be registered Republican by JANUARY 31st to either vote in the Precinct Convention or be a delegate.

From the NC Republican Site - “The Delegates and Alternates elected at the Precinct Meetings, unless successfully challenged, shall sit as Delegates and Alternates to the County Convention.”

(2) County Convention (March) The County Convention is where Republicans elect delegates from the delegates who were chosen at the Precinct Convention. check your local county.

Half the Delegates elected at the County level to go to the District Convention and half go to the State Convention.

(3) Congressional District Convention (March/April after County convention): all 13 NC congressional Districts elects 3 delegates and one elector.

(4) State Primary Election (May 6th) - Up until this time only Republicans can vote; however, Independents CAN vote in this election. So get the independents aware of this, and get them to vote May 6th for Ron Paul (they must be registered independent or republican 30 days prior, but we need delegates seated for them to vote for, and if you can get them to switch to republican before Jan 31st then they can be a delegate)

Proportional in nature (that is: the delegates must be pledged to the contenders for a Party's presidential nomination via mathematical formula based on the percentage of the vote each contender has received [usually subject to a minimum threshold which, on the Democratic side, is 15%])..

(note - this is state rules and Republican "Plan of Organization" rules. The following Counties have their own "Plan of Orginization" http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=63912)

heres some detail with a little more legaleze in the following thread - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=27188

BenIsForRon
12-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info nc4rp! Have you heard anything about needing to be registered a certain amount of time to be a county or state delegate? I've been registered in Davidson county for about 5 years but I'm currently living in Watauga Co. If I need to I will definitely stay registered in Davidson and just drive to the conventions. If not I'll just register here and make sure every delegate from Watauga Co. is for Dr. Paul (our meetup is huge).

nc4rp
12-19-2007, 11:22 PM
good question! i love these details. Ill check it out. I edited/improved my previous post also.

until i get back, check this post - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=7764

nc4rp
12-21-2007, 03:16 AM
You have to be registered by January 31st to vote in the Precinct, County, or District Conventions.

(NC Plan Article II.A.1)
Every Republican registered prior to January 31 preceding the Meetings (Conventions) shall be entitled to cast 1 vote, except that the January 31 requirement shall not apply to residents who have moved into the Precinct within 30 days of the Precinct Meeting.

so since i cant find any information saying anything different, and if you can vote in that county you can be a delegate in that county - i guess either way you have to register as a republican/delegate before Jan 31st. to delegate at any of the conventions.

videogeek
12-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks for posting this, NC4RP! I've switched parties and contacted both the state and Meck co. GOP, but haven't heard anything about this process. I really appreciate you putting that together for us.

nc4rp
12-22-2007, 12:51 AM
You might want to check out this guys post from Mecklenburg county:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=7764

im changing from independent to republican and registering as a delegate before jan 31st.

AgentPaul001
12-28-2007, 03:45 PM
*Bump*

I've submitted my revised voter registration. Anyone know what the best route towards becoming a delegate is now?

I called BJ Lawson a few weeks ago and he had some helpful information on the "generics", but I'm not quite sure about where I'm supposed to actually go and what I need to do.

I'd like to help the Republican party grow in Wake County and so don't mind taking a leadership role such as Precinct captain, although in Wake County I'd imagine that we've got the majority of the leadership positions filled already.

Anyone else more familiar with the delegate process in North Carolina and Wake County?

Thanks,
~ Paul

nc4rp
12-31-2007, 07:14 AM
are you registered republican? you cold help by doing that and then asking them there at your county board of elections. i have yet to get to my board of elections but plan to THIS week. when you do please report back your findings. thanks.

theres something in the works to become a precinct captain, for the Paul campaign, the responsibility will be for you to be the contact for people in your precinct, remind them to vote, and help them get to the correct precicnt. if you want to be a captain send me a PM or stay tuned.

AgentPaul001
01-02-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm changing my registration to Republican. I mailed the necessary forms in about a week ago, so hopefully it'll be updated ASAP.

I'd like to help the campaign out as a delegate, but I'm not sure if I have the time to take any sort of leadership role for the campaign.

nc4rp
01-02-2008, 10:16 AM
awesome! being a delegate means a majorly tremedous amount of help to the Paul campaign.

You may have to pre-register with your county repub. chairman to be a county, district, or state delegate. i dont know about precinct delegate, you might just be able to show up at the precinct meeting for that, dont know. this question needs an answer though and different couties have different rules. the rules seem to be obscured. best bet is to check locally for your rules.