PDA

View Full Version : Success! Front page Sunday paper!

katao
09-30-2007, 04:28 PM
2 weeks ago our meetup group campaigned outside the local BYU football stadium (about 65,000 in attendance). A local newspaper photographer caught our picture, which ended up being used as the main photo for an article on the front page of the Sunday paper about students and politics.

Although much of the article focused on Obama and Romney (the local media favorite because he is Mormon and because of his Utah ties) there was one excerpt from the article that mentioned Ron Paul supporters:

"...Time commitment

BYU student Dave Garber dropped six of his college credits this semester so he would have more time to organize people and events for presidential candidate Ron Paul. The candidate -- a doctor from Texas -- is a conservative who advocates for what he calls constitutionally limited government. He has about 30 years of experience in U.S. House of Representatives.

"I really like what Ron Paul stands for," he said. "I think he's just right on with the principles."

Paul says he has never voted to raise taxes. He has voted to keep a balanced budget and is against the war in Iraq.

Garber founded a group called BYU Students for Ron Paul 2008. He had never worked on a campaign before. Today, Garber doesn't have a paying job -- he spends all of his non-school time working on the campaign, forming Ron Paul meet-up groups online, attending events and even going door to door to spread the message."

Full article at: http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/239038/

Photo of front page: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1163/1465253554_79930bf372.jpg?v=0

DJ RP
09-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Totally Awesome! Wow! :)

dircha
09-30-2007, 04:37 PM
This is awesome.

How much literature would you say you handed out?

steph3n
09-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Keep it up, just because someone has grass roots support doesn't mean they get the nomination, even IF they have MSM support as well(think Dean last time)

We need to show that grassroots can indeed bring about a tsunami of change in the party!

Eric21ND
09-30-2007, 04:39 PM
That picture is worth a 1000 words!

good work!!

UtahApocalypse
09-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Dave Garber is a machine. We joke here that he was cloned. That guy is at every event in the SLC metro area. He is a awesome supporter! I am excited that he got some recognition of what he has done.

katao
09-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Dave Garber is a machine. We joke here that he was cloned. That guy is at every event in the SLC metro area. He is a awesome supporter! I am excited that he got some recognition of what he has done.

Agreed - he does a great job heading up our local meetup.

This is awesome.

How much literature would you say you handed out?

Not lots - we've found people not very interested in handouts before the game, so we have focused on just name recognition. (In upcoming games we plan to pass out flyers with player info on one side and Ron Paul stuff on the back).

This is especially effective at the end of games, as fans stream out of the stadium. At that game I stood across the street from one major exit where about 20,000 fans over an hour period had to wait a minute or two to be able to cross the street. They had nothing to do but look at me holding my 2' x 4' sign (with a homemade 6 foot sign holder) as they waited. :)

speciallyblend
09-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Agreed - he does a great job heading up our local meetup.

Not lots - we've found people not very interested in handouts before the game, so we have focused on just name recognition. (In upcoming games we plan to pass out flyers with player info on one side and Ron Paul stuff on the back).

This is especially effective at the end of games, as fans stream out of the stadium. At that game I stood across the street from one major exit where about 20,000 fans over an hour period had to wait a minute or two to be able to cross the street. They had nothing to do but look at me holding my 2' x 4' sign (with a homemade 6 foot sign holder) as they waited. :)

At EVENTS,if you feel your not getting attention,then stop and go to every car and flyer the cars,since most people cant argue with a piece of paper,they think and eventually win their own argument agreeingwith RON PAUL and HIS MESSAGE. So I say walk the parking lot and place a flyer on every car windshield,thats what i do if people are to occupied with an event.

DrNoZone
09-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Go Dave! Dave certainly is the RP activist to emulate here in Utah.

Corydoras
09-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Yes! Make the kind of happy pictures that photojournalists want to snap and photo editors will want to use!

You did great!

MsDoodahs
09-30-2007, 06:17 PM
(In upcoming games we plan to pass out flyers with player info on one side and Ron Paul stuff on the back).

THAT is a great idea!

Akus
09-30-2007, 06:22 PM
2 weeks ago our meetup group campaigned outside the local BYU football stadium (about 65,000 in attendance). A local newspaper photographer caught our picture, which ended up being used as the main photo for an article on the front page of the Sunday paper about students and politics.

Although much of the article focused on Obama and Romney (the local media favorite because he is Mormon and because of his Utah ties) there was one excerpt from the article that mentioned Ron Paul supporters:

"...Time commitment

BYU student Dave Garber dropped six of his college credits this semester so he would have more time to organize people and events for presidential candidate Ron Paul. The candidate -- a doctor from Texas -- is a conservative who advocates for what he calls constitutionally limited government. He has about 30 years of experience in U.S. House of Representatives.

"I really like what Ron Paul stands for," he said. "I think he's just right on with the principles."

Paul says he has never voted to raise taxes. He has voted to keep a balanced budget and is against the war in Iraq.

Garber founded a group called BYU Students for Ron Paul 2008. He had never worked on a campaign before. Today, Garber doesn't have a paying job -- he spends all of his non-school time working on the campaign, forming Ron Paul meet-up groups online, attending events and even going door to door to spread the message."

Full article at: http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/239038/

Photo of front page: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1163/1465253554_79930bf372.jpg?v=0
Stop spamming the internet. J/K :D :D

Cindy
09-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Beautiful!!!!

rmolly1
09-30-2007, 07:21 PM
That is amazing. Utah is not lost to Romney by a long shot. I actually went to BYU. I know a lot of people in the Mormon community who are voting for Romney because he is Mormon, but they aren't particularly happy about it. If given another choice, I believe the vast majority will switch. I'm had a lot of success with my fellow Mormons!