PDA

View Full Version : Religious objections to heath care vs mandatory insurance

Razmear
09-30-2009, 10:58 PM
It's starting to look like the version of the bill that will go up for a vote will require every person to purchase heath insurance of face some sort of penalties, much like the current Massachusetts law.
Seeing how Massachusetts is the home of the Christian Scientist church, and that religion is known for not allowing themselves to seek medical treatment, preferring to let God heal them, do they have a legal grounds for not purchasing health insurance as their religion would prevent them from ever making use of their policies?
I am not a member of the Christian Scientist church, or even a Christian, but I am a Pagan who trusts doctors a bit less than I trust the average mechanic, and haven't seen one in about 10 years, even setting my own broken ankle and making a duct tape cast a few years back, and I'd use any excuse available to avoid purchasing mandatory heath insurance.
I used the religious exemption to avoid showing vaccination records back when I was in college, so I'm wondering if it would work in this case too, and also if there are any legal presidents yet in Massachusetts from the CS church.

eb

specsaregood
09-30-2009, 11:02 PM
even setting my own broken ankle and making a duct tape cast a few years back,

I watched my dad do the same thing as a child. It influenced me, to be the same way: self-doctoring.

I think you have a valid point, the question is do you have the funds/ability to fight it in court.

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-30-2009, 11:28 PM
nt

Razmear
10-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I think you have a valid point, the question is do you have the funds/ability to fight it in court.

I barely have the funds to pay the bills, which is why I'm hoping a legal precedent will be set before they try to force me to buy something I'll refuse to use.

eb