PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maher in 1999: "I think a guy who's been to war gets it over the guy who hasn't"

Knightskye
09-30-2009, 03:34 AM
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-18-1999/bill-maher

I did a search for "Libertarian" on Hulu, and a Bill Maher Daily Show interview popped up.

And he favored McCain during the 2000 elections. I just thought that was interesting, because he supported Obama this time around.

Also, he actually sounded like a libertarian, but I guess he made the switch to being a liberal over the last nine years.

BuddyRey
09-30-2009, 03:50 AM
A couple of quick observations...

1. Dang, they both look so young in that clip! I can't believe it's only been a decade. It went by so fast, I barely took notice of how much has changed since I was 15.

2. Bill Maher almost sounds like a real libertarian here, which is quite shocking to me, since I'm used to the smug, self-righteous court intellectual who spends half an hour each week congratulating himself on how Progressive and forward-thinking he is. I wonder who must have "gotten to him" in the ensuing ten years to turn him into a rabid defender of state power.

Knightskye
09-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, he has recently advocated abolishing the NEA:
YouTube - Larry King Live: Bill Maher on the Economy, the Obamas, Palin and Biden (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CM2TocnqPs)

So, he's not all statist.

SimpleName
09-30-2009, 05:12 PM
2. Bill Maher almost sounds like a real libertarian here, which is quite shocking to me, since I'm used to the smug, self-righteous court intellectual who spends half an hour each week congratulating himself on how Progressive and forward-thinking he is. I wonder who must have "gotten to him" in the ensuing ten years to turn him into a rabid defender of state power.

Maybe he has isolated himself. Kind of the same way politicians become corrupt after being in Washington. He probably online surrounds himself with these crazy liberal celebrities and professors. Over time, I guess it has gotten to him. Note that pushing for McCain isn't a good thing either.