PDA

View Full Version : Best article describing state of America today?

Imperial
09-29-2009, 09:33 PM
I am looking for something that ties the welfare state, foreign intervention, and loss of civil liberties all together in respect to recent times (IE, Bush + Obama years). Anybody seen an article good to tie all this together what I am looking for?

SelfTaught
09-29-2009, 09:42 PM
That's a lot for one article. You need a BOOK.

Imperial
09-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah I know. Tis a pipedream. I'm just trying to find the perfect article for a debate thing I'm doing.

Chieftain1776
09-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Anything by Robert Higgs. Here's (http://www.lewrockwell.com/gregory/gregory35.html)a good review of one of his books.

Imperial
09-29-2009, 11:23 PM
I found this as a pretty good one-

Obama will continue to expand the coercive power of the state

Fein, Bruce. April 9, 2009. “Czar Obama: The president's incredibly imperialist wielding of executive power.” The Slate. Associate Deputy Attorney General under Reagan, specializes in international and constitutional law. http://www.slate.com/id/2215818/pagenum/all/

"President Obama pledged to restore the rule of law. But the state-secrets-privilege wars with that promise. It encourages torture, kidnappings, inhumane treatment, and similar abuses, all carried out in the name of fighting international terrorism. That encouragement is compounded by the president's adamant opposition to criminal prosecution of former or current government officials for open and notorious abuses—for example, water-boarding or illegal surveillance. His stances on habeas corpus and state secrets flout twin verities of Justice Louis D. Brandeis: Sunshine is the best disinfectant; and, when the government becomes a lawbreaker, it invites every man to become a law unto himself."

I remembered it because of the executive power hearings earllier this year. Short and to the point.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

[Edit: Just read the link. That was a great review. My only objection is it is a little older than I would like, but I am definitely tempted to check out the book.]