PDA

View Full Version : Pay as you go on U.K. highways.

123tim
09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Pay for where and how much you drive in the United Kingdom. Also some interesting "identification devices" mentioned for children and elderly.

YouTube - Smart Dust in Newcastle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jwVXYFtgHA&feature=related)

Dreamofunity
09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
I had this guy at a liquor store tell me about this recently. He was saying that there was some bill in the U.S. that would tax you for every mile you drive and you'd need a GPS in your car to find out or something.

Sandman33
09-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Complete slavery is what they are proposing.

Alex Jones spoke about this goal of putting devices in every car that charge you for simply DRIVING. He spoke about it a long time ago.

Zippyjuan
09-29-2009, 04:21 PM
If this was a private company which built their own road and was using a similar device to collect fees from users to help pay for the road, would the reaction be the same? If you use a road more should you contribute more to its maintainance and upkeep or should all people subsidise the overusers? Just curious.

Danke
09-29-2009, 05:08 PM
If this was a private company which built their own road and was using a similar device to collect fees from users to help pay for the road, would the reaction be the same? If you use a road more should you contribute more to its maintainance and upkeep or should all people subsidise the overusers? Just curious.

Maybe not perfect, but the current gas tax seems like the best compromise to me.

Larger vehicle contribute to more wear and tear on the roads, and also consume more fuel, so they are taxed more per mile traveled.

The added bonus is our movements are not as easily tracked this way too.

Alternative fuels could also be taxed. Some may brew there own, but I doubt that will ever be a significant percent. And if electric cars really take off, then I guess electirc companies might need to kick in a bit.

Not fair, not completely fair, but I will take that over any tracking.

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-29-2009, 05:24 PM
nt

noxagol
09-29-2009, 05:29 PM
If this was a private company which built their own road and was using a similar device to collect fees from users to help pay for the road, would the reaction be the same?

No, because there is a choice. Here, the government is going to FORCE you to be tracked by them, the most deadly organization in the world. If you don't like the company ways of collecting payment, you can chose to not do it that way and go with another road. Government removes the choice.

LibForestPaul
09-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Yes, because private or public is irrelevant if it is a monopoly. There is no reason for this system except for total information awareness (TIA)

torchbearer
09-29-2009, 05:39 PM
noxagol is correct.
For example- I voluntarily gave krogers my information that is linked to a scan card that I voluntarily use everytime I shop there. It allows them to track my shopping behavior, and they send me coupons in the mail that fit that behavior. It is voluntary and private.

But, if the government forced everyone to sign up for a scannable card to track all their purchases that would be very wrong.

If Zippy doesn't understand the difference, hand gestures and stick figures aren't going to help him.

Zippyjuan
09-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Just asking because there have been proposals here for privatization of roads and how to pay for them in the past. Thank you for the responces.

dgr
09-30-2009, 01:38 AM
You nedd to read the entire @1 Century transportation Bill, toll roads in and out of all major cities. passing new legislation to make interstates toll roads. When you hear PPP that means priviate public parternships. States pay priviate companies to manage the new toll systems. They are Foerign companies.
The miliage tax was at the end of the plan, they would have atracker in you car tag, to track your miliage and the you would pay the additional usage tax when you renewed you tag.
the current money crnch has caused many states to now push this to the front of the plan.
In NC we didn't get inspection stickers this year , we got a form and when we renewed our tags we had to report the miliage. Now we didn't get a sticker, because all the rules for inspection are going to change and you are going to have to have several inspections all ad additional cost . Next year should be interesting, because on top of this your may have to pay your car prpperty tax at the same time you pay all the other new things at tag renalal time.
So the goverment will be able not only to tax you for each mile you drive, but track where you drive them too.