PDA

View Full Version : Preparedness if the ultimate happens

Deborah K
09-29-2009, 11:18 AM
There are more of us than there are of them. We aren't organized, but if we are all learning from the same manuals that won't matter.

I particularly like this one: Ranger Manuals (http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/store/resources/rangers_manuals.html) It's only 12.50 for the CD.

Topics:
FM 5-20 Camouflage
FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions
FM 7-8 Infantry Platoon and Squad
FM 7-10 The Infantry Rifle Company
FM 7-20 The Infantry Battalion
FM 21-11 First Aid for Soldiers
FM 21-20 Physical Readiness Training
FM 21-26 Map Reading
FM 21-75 Combat Skills of a Soldier
FM 21-76 Survival, Evasion and Escape
SH 21-76 Ranger Handbook
FM 21-150 Combatives (Hand-to-Hand Combat)
FM 22-100 Military Leadership
FM 22-101 Counseling
FM 23-14 M249 Light Machine Gun
FM 23-31 M203 Grenade Launcher
FM 25-100 Training the Force
FM 90-3 Desert Operations
TC-21-24 Rappelling
TC-90-6-1 Military Mountaineering
M60OPS M60 Operators Manual
M16OPS M16 Operators Manual
TMM16A M16 Operator and Organizational Maintenance
STP-21-1 Soldiers Manual of Common Tasks, Level 1
STP-21-24 Soldiers Manual of Common Tasks, Levels 2,3 and 4
and
MOVIE The Ranger Training Movie This definitely belongs in our arsenal, don't you think?

Edit: I've bolded out the ones that interest me in particular

Deborah K
09-29-2009, 11:40 AM
That's a bit too apocalyptic for me, I don't think we will be needing that stuff in the next 5 years.

I think we will. But I truly hope you are right. In any event, I intend to prepare for the worst.

pcosmar
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
That's a bit too apocalyptic for me, I don't think we will be needing that stuff in the next 5 years.

That is like not having a fire extinguisher, because you don't think you will have a fire.

:confused:

Dr.3D
09-29-2009, 11:46 AM
That is like not having a fire extinguisher, because you don't think you will have a fire.

Well, some people might think they will have time to buy a fire extinguisher in the event they have a fire. Others believe it's the job of the fire department to put out the fire.

Of course we know they are not thinking correctly.

Icymudpuppy
09-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Topics:
FM 5-20 Camouflage.... This one is useful for snipers with little cover, but really is of limited use.

FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions.... There is a better manual than this one, it is called "FM 3-7 Flame Field Expedients" and goes into how to make home-made explosives, molotovs, and other good stuff. FM 5-25 is mostly only useful if you have access to C-4, det-cord, and other military grade explosive sets.

FM 7-8 Infantry Platoon and Squad.... Lots of good basic tactics in this one.

FM 7-10 The Infantry Rifle Company.... Mostly administrative
FM 7-20 The Infantry Battalion.... More of the same. Lots of BS about navigation of the military bureaucracy. Pretty useless for a citizens militia.

FM 21-11 First Aid for Soldiers. This one is good, but assumes that a field hospital is within 30 minutes transport. Better manual is the combat lifesaver course textbook 0825CC.

FM 21-20 Physical Readiness Training... Totally obsolete except for maintaining pushups, situps, and 2 mile run for the Army Physical Fitness test.. Better manual is "FM 7-1. (old pre-2001 was FM 25-101) Battle Focus Training". Distribution of BFT is restricted, so finding that manual is hard outside a military TASC.

FM 21-26 Map Reading... Covers only military style MPRS maps. Basic concepts of intersection and resection are discussed here, but the Forest Service has a better program. Still, is good to have for intelligence purposes if you gain possession of an enemy map to decipher the military specific symbols.

FM 21-75 Combat Skills of a Soldier... I haven't read this one. No comment.

FM 21-76 Survival, Evasion and Escape. This one is excellent. Best manual in this list. I keep a hard copy of this one in my truck all the time.

SH 21-76 Ranger Handbook... One of the best small pocket handbooks. Lots of useful info.

FM 21-150 Combatives (Hand-to-Hand Combat). Totally useless without someone to teach you how to use the movements. I recommend attending a Gracie JiuJitsu Academy. I'm a level III combatives instructor, in case you were wondering.

FM 22-100 Military Leadership. Not really very useful in an irregular troop. Once more lots of administrative BS. non-judicial punishment and the like.

FM 22-101 Counseling... Politically correct BS mostly. New army feel good crap.

FM 23-14 M249 Light Machine Gun... This manual has some good info in it.

FM 23-31 M203 Grenade Launcher... Also a good technical manual on a weapon system.

FM 25-100 Training the Force. Pretty decent manual.

FM 90-3 Desert Operations. Useless in my neck of the woods (literally) but if you are in Arizona or New Mexico, it may be a big help.

TC-21-24 Rappelling... The army methods are rather cumbersome. I recommend taking a class at REI or some other sporting goods store if you want to learn better methods.

TC-90-6-1 Military Mountaineering. I haven't read this one, but given our success in mountainous terrain, I think you're better off hiring an Afghani.

M60OPS M60 Operators Manual... If you can even find this weapon anymore, it is a heavy cumbersome machine. The army replaced it with the M240 about 15 years ago.

M16OPS M16 Operators Manual... Good technical info in this one.

TMM16A M16 Operator and Organizational Maintenance. You better have gunsmithing tools and spare parts to make any sense of this manual.

STP-21-1 Soldiers Manual of Common Tasks, Level 1. This one goes into more detail on the same tasks listed in the Ranger Handbook, and a few more useless things. Superfluous manual.

STP-21-24 Soldiers Manual of Common Tasks, Levels 2,3 and 4. more detail on the same tasks. Mostly superfluous.

There is a manual that I highly recommend, though it is not on this list. It is how to integrate a military force into a civilian populace and achieve logistical and moral support from the populace. . . . FM 3-24 Counterinsurgency Operations.

CPT JACK.

Deborah K
09-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks Cpt Jack. We use camouflage when we patrol the border as minutemen. I have a net that, when I sit under it, I look like a rock. I blend right in to the mountains. It's easy to store in my backpack and I think it's for great bug-out.

As to the rest, my line of thinking is that if everyone in the freedom movement trains themselves, individually or with family, friends whatever, they will be better off. I'm not necessarily suggestiing we form an army and use this as our guide. I'm thinking we could all use some defensive as well as offensive training.

..PAUL4PRES..
09-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Camoflauge is no good if you cant block IR.

Visit here.

http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=552&navid=33

JoshLowry
09-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Camoflauge is no good if you cant block IR.

Visit here.

[/URL][URL]http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=552&navid=33 (http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=552&navid=33)

That's pretty cool. Too bad it's not camoflauged.

..PAUL4PRES..
09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
That's pretty cool. Too bad it's not camoflauged.

Line your bdu or ghillie. It will also help maintain body heat in the coming cold.

pcosmar
09-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Preparedness is always a good idea.
I have no illusions, and no desire to "have a war". I do NOT expect Civil War.
I do expect a breakdown in society, possible martial law.

The military manuals are good education, but for understanding how your adversaries will operate.
I would not use their tactics, but an understanding of them will give you an edge.
I would also learn and prepare for Escape and Evasion.
http://www.ssrsi.org/ods/sere.htm

..PAUL4PRES..
09-29-2009, 12:37 PM

The military manuals are good education, but for understanding how your adversaries will operate.
I would not use their tactics, but an understanding of them will give you an edge.

+1

Violence is only acceptable in self defense.

LibertyWorker
09-29-2009, 01:05 PM
+1

Violence is only acceptable in self defense.

And they are counting on you to stick to that philosophy.

It makes everything so much easier for them.

TCE
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM

Is running out and shooting wildly a better strategy? You're no good to any movement if you're arrested or killed.

In martial law scenarios, most people don't get hurt or arrested, it's mostly just the people who are causing the disturbance. If you are out there rioting and I'm inside with a gun preparing for someone to come in, who is most likely to survive? If you're being shot at in a martial law scenario, nay, any scenario, then it is acceptable to defend yourself.

Most likely scenario: The currency collapses and people start rioting, martial law is declared. From that point on, it could go a million different ways. The best thing is to prepare for that scenario, one in which there is absolutely no infrastructure (food, water, electricity, etc.), which is unlikely, so that when something less serious does happen, you can say "no big deal, I prepared for much worse than this."

LibertyWorker
09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Is running out and shooting wildly a better strategy? You're no good to any movement if you're arrested or killed.

In martial law scenarios, most people don't get hurt or arrested, it's mostly just the people who are causing the disturbance. If you are out there rioting and I'm inside with a gun preparing for someone to come in, who is most likely to survive? If you're being shot at in a martial law scenario, nay, any scenario, then it is acceptable to defend yourself.

Most likely scenario: The currency collapses and people start rioting, martial law is declared. From that point on, it could go a million different ways. The best thing is to prepare for that scenario, one in which there is absolutely no infrastructure (food, water, electricity, etc.), which is unlikely, so that when something less serious does happen, you can say "no big deal, I prepared for much worse than this."

WOW.You read a lot into two sentences.

I was questioning the philosophy of standing by and doing nothing till something is done to you.

Don't just assume you know what i am talking about and try to paint me as someone that's running around in the streets shooting wildly at anything and anyone.

the only thing your post says to me is that you over reacted to my post.

JoshLowry
09-29-2009, 02:15 PM
I was questioning the philosophy of standing by and doing nothing till something is done to you.

Being prepared for the worst = Standing around and doing nothing

TCE
09-29-2009, 02:18 PM
WOW.You read a lot into two sentences.

Don't just assume you know what i am talking about and try to paint me as someone that's running around in the streets shooting wildly at anything and anyone.

the only thing your post says to me is that you over reacted to my post.

I'm not quite sure by what you meant either.

Sandman33
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM

YouTube - ALERT Martial law takeover of Hardin Montana - federalization of local police deptartment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLcki1KDyoY)

LibertyWorker
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Being prepared for the worst = Standing around and doing nothing

No my post was responding to the post that "Violence is only acceptable in self defense"

Which is a philosophy i don't buy into.

TCE
09-29-2009, 02:27 PM
No my post was responding to the post that "Violence is only acceptable in self defense"

Which is a philosophy i don't buy into.

Can you expand on that?

LibertyWorker
09-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Can you expand on that?

I don’t buy into the philosophy that says unless attacked I should never use force. That I should just stand by and do nothing when I see bad things happening around me.

If the founders of this nation felt that way we would still be paying taxes to a king.

Icymudpuppy
09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Force in defense of Life, Liberty, and Property.

Your life may not be at stake, after all dead people don't make good slaves serfs or servants, but your liberty and property are already severely compromised.

pcosmar
09-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Not just "self"defense. If I see goons abusing my neighbors, I am very likely to step into it.

Myself, my family, my community, my state.
In that order.

Michigan Constitution Article I, Section 6

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

TCE
09-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I don’t buy into the philosophy that says unless attacked I should never use force. That I should just stand by and do nothing when I see bad things happening around me.

If the founders of this nation felt that way we would still be paying taxes to a king.

Yeah, the "self-defense" extends to family, friends, and violence against others.

constituent
09-29-2009, 09:56 PM

lol

constituent
09-29-2009, 09:58 PM
and yawn, overall that is.

YumYum
09-29-2009, 10:59 PM

I would also learn Mandarin Chinese and learn how to prepare "Three Scream Rat".

denison
09-29-2009, 11:37 PM
I would also learn Mandarin Chinese and learn how to prepare "Three Scream Rat".

haha :cool:

pcosmar
09-30-2009, 07:44 PM

My woods are full of game. i don't think I will have and problems there.
But there are lots of recipes, and I always will try something new.
www.premiersystems.com/recipes/y2k-recipes/jerky-pemmican.html

JeNNiF00F00
09-30-2009, 07:47 PM

Think again.

s35wf
09-30-2009, 08:05 PM

I prepare for it like a long term storm; only this one could bring violence to the door under martial law or a SHTF scenario (with NO police or phone). Plan like you would for any emergency event in your area (mine is hurricanes) yours might be blizzard, tornado, flooding, etc...

Plan for it to be MUCH longer in length though ;)

Deborah K
10-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Read Peter Schiff's book: Crash Proof. Here's an excerpt:

pg. 249

Other Consequences of Economic Collapse

The social and political consequences of an abrupt and severe reduction in living standards have to be considered and should be factored into our planning.

Social unrest caused by deprivation on a massive scale can produce violence and anarchy. It is beyond the scope of this book to examine all the possible manifestations of social ferment compounded by a curtailment of municiple services and programs, but one can imagine how explosive things could become, perhaps we want to give some thought to how and where we'd want ourselves and our families to be situated.

devil21
10-02-2009, 01:12 AM
http://www.adtdl.army.mil/

If it's not a restricted manual, it's right there for download.

devil21
10-02-2009, 03:00 AM
Arizona has no natural disasters. :)

John McCain?

hillbilly123069
10-02-2009, 03:41 AM
This 1's free.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6690910/Field-Manual-US-ARMY-FM-2176-Survival-Manual

Deborah K
10-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I got my CD. It has 25 manuals and a training movie. I'm glad I got it.

Pericles
10-09-2009, 02:08 PM
You really need FM 5-34 Engineer Field Data

Useful in building things if you leard how to reverse engineer the math.

Example is doing a bridge classification - doing the math shows how much weight the bridge will take - reverse engineer and you know what size supports you need for a roof, etc.

Then there is fun stuff like calculating demo charges - popular with the John Wayne School for Boys crowd.

The only FM I always carried with me.

Deborah K
10-09-2009, 02:13 PM
You really need FM 5-34 Engineer Field Data

Useful in building things if you leard how to reverse engineer the math.

Example is doing a bridge classification - doing the math shows how much weight the bridge will take - reverse engineer and you know what size supports you need for a roof, etc.

Then there is fun stuff like calculating demo charges - popular with the John Wayne School for Boys crowd.

The only FM I always carried with me.

Wouldn't you need tools and such? I'm thinking in terms of bugging out and trying to stay alive until you can connect with other like-minded people.

Deborah K
10-11-2009, 03:06 PM
This CD is AWESOME! Here are the contents. If there is anything that jumps out at you, let me know and I'll post it.

Military Media Inc.
Ranger CD-ROM
New FM# Old FM# Title
3-24.3 20-3 CAMOUFLAGE 20AUG99
3-34.214 5-250 EXPLOSIVES AND DEMOLITIONS 16JUNE92
3-21.8 7-8 INFANTRY PLATOON AND SQUAD 1MAR2001
3-12.10 7-10 THE INFANTRY RIFLE COMPANY 31OCT2000
3-12.20 7-20 THE INFANTRY BATTALION 29DEC2000
4-30.11 21-11 FIRST AID FOR SOLDIERS 27OCT88
3-25.20 21-20 PHYSICAL READINESS TRAINING OCT98
3-25.26 21-26 MAP READING JUNE01
3-25.75 21-75 COMBAT SKILLS OF A SOLDIER 3AUG84
3-25.70 21-76 SURVIVAL EVASION AND ESCAPE 5JUNE92
SH21-76 SH21-76 RANGER HANDBOOK 2000
3-24.150 21-150 COMBATIVES (HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT) JAN02
6-22 22-100 MILITARY LEADERSHIP 31AUG99
22-101 22-101 COUNDELING 3JUNE85
3-23.14 23-14 M249 LIGHT MACHINEGUN 26JAN94
3-23.31 23-31 M203 GRENADE LAUNCHER 20SEPT94
7.0 25-100 TRAINING THE FORCE 15NOV88
3-97.3 90-3 DESERT OPERATIONS 24AUG93
TC21-24 TC21-24 RAPPELLING 10SEPT97
TC90-6-1 TC90-6-1 MILITARY MOUNTAINEERING 30SEPT76
M60OPS M60OPS M60 OPERATORS MANUAL OCT70
M16OPS M16OPS M16 OPERATORS MANUAL APR77
TMM16A TMM16A M16 OPERATOR & ORGANIZATIONAL MAINTENANCE
STP21-1 STP21-1 SOLDIERS MANUAL OF COMMON TASKS, L1
STP21-24 STP21-24 SOLDIERS MANUAL OF COMMON TASKS, L2,L3,L4

Deborah K
10-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I just printed out chapter 23: Survival in man-made hazards. I plan to hole-punch these and put them in a notebook and study them with the family in order of importance. Chapter 11 is on evasion and survival. Printing that one next.

You may already know that Mark and I are preparing a neighborhood network project. I will share the info on this CD for the meetings.