PDA

View Full Version : Middleville woman threatened with fines for watching neighbors' kids

Krugerrand
09-29-2009, 06:32 AM
A West Michigan woman says the state is threatening her with fines and possibly jail time for babysitting her neighbors' children.
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=114016&catid=14#

My favorite quote came from the Detroit Free Press:
http://www.freep.com/article/20090929/NEWS06/90929012/1001/rss01

"I said the children should be able to come in my house from the rain or snow," Snyder said. "The lady said to me plain and simple 'Tell the parents to buy an umbrella.'"

coyote_sprit
09-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Remember sheep, a license means you are 100% certified to do something better then a person without one.

sevin
09-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Watching three kids for 15-40 minutes until the bus comes is not a fucking childcare center. I wonder who is the asshole who reported her to the state.

werdd
09-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Is she getting paid for it?

pcosmar
09-29-2009, 09:29 AM

Nope.

"It's ridiculous." says Snyder. "We are friends helping friends!" She added that she accepts no money for babysitting.

Mindy Rose, who leaves her 5-year-old with Snyder, agrees. "She's a friend... I trust her."

And who's business is it if she was? :(

KCIndy
09-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Not according to the news story:

MIDDLEVILLE, Mich. (WZZM) - A West Michigan woman says the state is threatening her with fines and possibly jail time for babysitting her neighbors' children.

Lisa Snyder of Middleville says her neighborhood school bus stop is right in front of her home. It arrives after her neighbors need to be at work, so she watches three of their children for 15-40 minutes until the bus comes.

The Department of Human Services received a complaint that Snyder was operating an illegal child care home. DHS contacted Snyder and told her to get licensed, stop watching her neighbors' kids, or face the consequences.

"It's ridiculous." says Snyder. "We are friends helping friends!" She added that she accepts no money for babysitting. (emphasis added)

Mindy Rose, who leaves her 5-year-old with Snyder, agrees. "She's a friend... I trust her."