PDA

View Full Version : Brewery makes 1.1% beer called 'Nanny State'

Kotin
09-28-2009, 07:18 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8278312.stm

Brewery makes 18.2% beer; campaign groups call them 'irresponsible', brewery responds by making 1.1% beer called 'Nanny State'

A brewery has launched a low alcohol beer called Nanny State after being branded irresponsible for creating the UK's "strongest beer".

Scottish brewer BrewDog, of Fraserburgh, was criticised for Tokyo* which has an alcohol content of 18.2%.

Campaigners welcomed the 1.1% alcohol Nanny State but said the name showed a lack of appreciation of the problem.

The 3,000 limited edition bottles of Tokyo* contained six units of alcohol - twice the recommended daily limit.

The company had insisted the £9.99 high strength beer would help tackle the country's binge-drinking culture, because customers would drink it in smaller quantities.

But Alcohol Focus Scotland had branded that argument "deluded".

Nate
09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8278312.stm

Brewery makes 18.2% beer; campaign groups call them 'irresponsible', brewery responds by making 1.1% beer called 'Nanny State'

A brewery has launched a low alcohol beer called Nanny State after being branded irresponsible for creating the UK's "strongest beer".

Scottish brewer BrewDog, of Fraserburgh, was criticised for Tokyo* which has an alcohol content of 18.2%.

Campaigners welcomed the 1.1% alcohol Nanny State but said the name showed a lack of appreciation of the problem.

The 3,000 limited edition bottles of Tokyo* contained six units of alcohol - twice the recommended daily limit.

The company had insisted the £9.99 high strength beer would help tackle the country's binge-drinking culture, because customers would drink it in smaller quantities.

But Alcohol Focus Scotland had branded that argument "deluded".

Classic! Self righteous "campaigners". Need to get out of other peoples business and get a life of their own.

I gotta try and get one of those Tokyo bottles. I love strong beer. I wonder if I can get it anywhere here in Chicago?

Dreamofunity
09-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Fucking awesome. I love it.

I almost want to try and get some Nanny State, just for the bottle.

torchbearer
09-28-2009, 08:02 PM
you can buy Brewdog's Tokyo beer here: http://www.brewdog.com/product.php?id=26

Nate
09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
you can buy Brewdog's Tokyo beer here: http://www.brewdog.com/product.php?id=26

Yeah, already checked that. Out of stock.

torchbearer
09-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah, already checked that. Out of stock.

I'm sure if there are a lot of request, they will produce more.

Bruno
09-28-2009, 08:42 PM
As the Brits would say, "Brilliant!" :)

Dreamofunity
09-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Do you think they could safely ship to the U.S.?

torchbearer
09-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Do you think they could safely ship to the U.S.?

only if its airmail.

youngbuck
09-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Win!

Gotta a good LOL outa that.

Uriel999
09-29-2009, 12:36 AM
that is awesome!

nobody's_hero
09-29-2009, 04:35 AM
They really think making beer stronger will cause people to start drinking it in smaller quantities, and curb the binge drinking?

(I side with the brewery, of course, I just know that I'm not the only one who was puzzled by this comment)

Maybe the idea is to pass out before you can drink several beers.

mczerone
09-29-2009, 08:54 AM

(1) The "Campaigners", in welcoming the 1.1% beer shows a lack of appreciation of the problem. The Problem being interference with others' lives - certainly the same basis upon which these people build their attack on alcohol: We can't allow people to get drunk because they might then lose societal ability and get in our way.

(2) What is a 'unit' of alcohol? Who says three units are anyone's 'recommended daily limit'? How many of the "Campaigners" themselves know that they would be just fine after 6 'units' of alcohol - but just don't trust others to the same extent?

I'm glad I'm not trying to live free in the UK.

Cowlesy
09-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I bought a 6 pack of Nanny State and a 12 pack of Zeitgeist.

Will let you know in what condition it arrives.

Mini-Me
09-29-2009, 09:11 AM
They really think making beer stronger will cause people to start drinking it in smaller quantities, and curb the binge drinking?

(I side with the brewery, of course, I just know that I'm not the only one who was puzzled by this comment)

Maybe the idea is to pass out before you can drink several beers.

Well, I think the point is that few people will chug or shotgun an 18.2% alcohol beer or use it for beer pong. ;) That's the kind you sit back, sip, and enjoy...so except for people drinking just to get drunk (who will get drunk one way or another), I think the brewery kind of has a point.

torchbearer
09-29-2009, 09:13 AM
They have a cool John Locke quote on their webpage too.

lester1/2jr
09-29-2009, 09:20 AM
dogfish head's world wide stout is like 22%, but when the alc gets that high it's kind of not exactly beer anymore. more like a cognac or something

werdd
09-29-2009, 09:21 AM
The US.

Well its still more free than the UK.

Jordan
09-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Interestingly enough, the footer at the bottom contains a John Locke quote.

lester1/2jr
09-29-2009, 09:39 AM
I found this beer called Budweiser that has relatively low alc content. lets encourage people to buy it, no way anyone will go crazy with only 4 or so % alcohol per volume. baseball games will be tranquil again

torchbearer
09-29-2009, 01:41 PM
I found this beer called Budweiser that has relatively low alc content. lets encourage people to buy it, no way anyone will go crazy with only 4 or so % alcohol per volume. baseball games will be tranquil again

They should do as Denver did...legalize marijuana as a safer alternative to alcohol.

lester1/2jr
09-29-2009, 01:53 PM
it should be legal only at baseball games

torchbearer
09-29-2009, 01:55 PM
it should be legal only at baseball games

meth at football games?
GHB at tennis matches?

lester1/2jr
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
make all drugs legal at sporting events and concerts. even the worst teams and shows will be sold out immediately.

I shuold be on the obama economic team

Dreamofunity
09-29-2009, 02:49 PM
I bought a 6 pack of Nanny State and a 12 pack of Zeitgeist.

Will let you know in what condition it arrives.

Looking forward to this.

I just recently turned 21 and I love trying new beers, especially one with a story like this :P

jkr
09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
18.2?

better than colt 45, and it works EVERY time-lando calrisian

Sandman33
09-29-2009, 03:30 PM
18.2?

better than colt 45, and it works EVERY time-lando calrisian

Dude they sell energy drinks with alcohol in them over here. And they come in tall 24 oz cans. They are up to 12 percent alcohol too. Those things taste like ASS but definitely pack a punch.

amonasro
09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
dogfish head's world wide stout is like 22%, but when the alc gets that high it's kind of not exactly beer anymore. more like a cognac or something

Exactly. I had a DFH 120 Minute IPA last year. At 20% abv, It took about 4 hours to drink and I was nicely "relaxed" the whole time. It's not that it tastes outright alcoholic, it's just that it's such a huge beer in mouthfeel and flavor that you have to sip it or risk overwhelming your senses.

At $9 a bottle it's not too bad for what you get out of it. I'd imagine its the same thing with the World Wide Stout.

lester1/2jr
09-30-2009, 08:44 AM
sandman- i had one of those things it had 4 in the title i can't remeber what it was. on a scale of 1 to ten I'd give it a 1. it was the worst thing I've ever tasted. it tasted like something you'd use to make something else, rather than something you'd drink on it's own. like some kind of industrial additive.

amonasro- it was good. it was like....oily. like you were drinking oil, that sort of texture not that I drink alot of oil

Cowlesy
04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Looking forward to this.

I just recently turned 21 and I love trying new beers, especially one with a story like this :P

Sorry, little behind on my update.

I haven't drank the Nanny State beer. Saving it for posterity (kind of like Billy Beer).

Drank the Zeitgeist. DAMN good beer. These guys definitely are great brewers.

Arrived in perfect condition, all the way from Scotland.